1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.2 Petrol or Honda Brio

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by srida, Oct 13, 2012.

1. My sister has got a job in coimbatore and my parents dosent want her to commute to her office on a scooter. So they have decided to get her a Car. The first question was pertol or diesel. I suggested them petrol since they already have a diesel swift with them. Another diesel in the same house is not required and also her daily commute would be just 20 KMS per day. So some how I have convinced them for a petrol. Now the question is what petrol. Except me and my wife, nobody in my family are even able to give a thought on the under rated punto. My Mom likes Micra, My sister likes Honda Brio and my dad has no idea. Finally it is going to what my sister points her finger on. I suggested them Punto 1.2 Petrol too. Before pitching in full fledged, I would like to get the TFI'ians advise, especially from Punto 1.2 owners. I own a 90 HP diesel. I have no idea about 1.2 petrol, also I haven't drive one.

On Papers, Brio wins Punto 1.2, with its 87 Bhp motor, and also priced lesser than punto. EX SH Price of Brio topend is 5.36 Laks and Punto Dynamic is 5.26. :(
    On road too (Looks) Brio wins punto with its small stance and girly look.
    After Sales, any car would win a Fiat unopposed in this department.
    So I feel I have lost half the war.

As an enthusiast I know Punto is better than brio with it superb handling and Build.
    Also considering the spares and maintenance, Punto should be better than Brio.
    But these are something that doesn't appeal to girls.

SO does it really make sense in bringing in Punto 1.2 into their shortlisting. Is there anything I am missing ? Today I have planned to take testdrive of both the cars. I also need TFI'ns advise on this. Should I let them go for Brio or make them understand punto is better ? Hope I would get some nice points to convince them.

FIAT are you listening ??? When I need to get a small car for my wife or my sister, FIAT doesn't even come into the choices. Every other manufacturer has one for that group. In which category does your cars fall into, other than "Fiat Enthusiasts" ???
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  2. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    I feel the Brio & Punto are car's from different segments and shouldn't be compared with each other. It's only because of the engine that the Punto manages to get into a lower segment where unfortunately, all the other 1.2 engined cars have it for breakfast, lunch & dinner simply because the Punto's 1.2 is a outdated engine. This fact is mirrored in the prices we see where Honda has priced it's top end Brio lower then the dynamic Punto. I always felt that Fiat should never have launched the Punto 1.2. It just pulls down the Punto brand into a segment where it doesn't deserve to be.

For a girl, the Brio makes perfect sense. it's small, nippy, has light control's and is pretty fun to drive. Honda has made walking away from the Brio even more difficult with the A/T.

Honestly, I feel the Brio A/T makes perfect sense for a woman who is going to be primarily driving small distances in the city.
    4 people like this.
  3. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    You can only make them realize that the Punto is Safe and has a Tank like Build class, and nevertheless its also not so bad as the Brio where the looks goes.
    Punto has its own mascular feel.......
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Take a good hard look at the warranty criteria/conditions for the AT. Mostly these things are replaced rather than repaired.

I'd also say the Brio AT makes more sense in this scenario. TD it and let us know how it feels.

Light steering + AT is a win-win scenario for most of the girls i dare say. Even my sister appreciates the smooth ride of the Linea but likes the feather light steering of her Rapid a lot more than the Hydraulic of the Linea. :-?
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Srida, all premium hatchbacks in the category of Punto (Jazz/i20 etc) are available with a 1.2 liter engine. Punto 1.2 is a decent engine. Though it is "just" 68HP but look at the torque. Torque peaks at "just" 2500rpm. That is quite good if we see the drivability aspect. Girls wont be over revving or indulging in drag races. Why need all the horse powers for?

To some extent,
    BHP = Pushing power
    Torque= Pulling power

Unlike Punto 1.2, no other petrol hatchbacks offer such low end torque. Issue with Punto 1.2 is that it is built better than the rest, especially when compared to the tin light Hondas. 1172cc engine is better suited for those lighter cars.

"Usual" priorities for most lady drivers are:
    - Good all round visibility.
    - Lighter steering.
    - Small size for easy parking.

Some good contenders for such priorities include:
    1. Ritz
    2. Brio
    3. Figo
    4. i10

Figo's petrol engine performance is similar to or below Punto 1.2 because Punto offers better low end torque and both are built heavy otherwise.
    Personally, I would never allow any of my relative to get even close to Brio with that looks. (This is my personal opinion). Otherwise, the auto transmission variant fulfills all the points I mentioned above.

Also, what is your opinion regarding i10 AT Sportz? And a bronze Ritz? Are they eliminated already or didn't consider at all?

EDIT- I just rechecked. All cars in premium segment are available in 1.2 litre engine capacity (not just Punto). I am not sure what all cars out of these have a competent 1.2 engine. At least i20 doesn't.

http://www.carwale.com/research/honda-cars/jazz/

http://www.carwale.com/research/volkswagen-cars/polo/

http://www.carwale.com/research/skoda-cars/fabia/

http://www.carwale.com/research/hyundai-cars/i20/

http://www.carwale.com/research/nissan-cars/micra/

http://www.carwale.com/research/marutisuzuki-cars/swift/

http://www.carwale.com/research/fiat-cars/grandepunto/

Compare Punto with these cars only. Mere engine capacity does not mean one can compare the dynamic variant of Punto with Brio AT from smaller segment. A smaller segment car always turns out to be more VFM. Compare i20 with Verna or a DZire with Linea for example.
    4 people like this.
  6. After 3 years and 20K run, i can say it has costed me only 3K+3K+5K(1st paid) in service. No other unwarnted maintenance cost.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Why not Ritz VXI/ZXI? This makes more sense to me than Brio. If too much concerned about the looks, then better to consider the Jazz as well. If I were to buy a Petrol hatch for city commute, I would just go ahead and get the Jazz.
    1 person likes this.
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    On power to weight ratio Brio will be the competitor for Polo 1.6. For city use I would also consider alto k10. I think new alto will be launched soon.
  9. If the car is solely for your sister theres no point in pushing a big car like Punto to her,how much ever fun it is to drive(I vouch for this as I had 1.2 petrol,the petrol engine is really peppy,and excellent low end torque),but the small brio will give easy driveability in the city...
    Only the small factor(girly)is what makes brio a contender,else its no match to Punto...

Choose wisely...
  10. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    At the present scenario where you can very good petrol cars of even higher segments going for dirt cheap prices in the seconds market, i would have considered only those if i was in your shoes !!