1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.2 Emotion - 2nd Gear lacks a punch

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Preveeth, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Preveeth

I recently bought a Punto Emotion 1.2 (Petrol). This is my first car. I love the car for the comfort and the great ride quality. Previously used to drive by bro's Santro. One thing that bothers me about Punto is the 2nd gear. I just don't get the pick up with 2nd gear especially when I have a inclined/uphill road. Santro's 2nd gear was much better. Again I know that I cannot do a apples to apples comparision of these two cars as they are different class of cars altogether. Just wanted to check if you folks also experience the same issue with teh 2nd gear; Or is it just my Punto.
  2. Praveeth congrats on your punto and welcome to TFI. About your question FIAT engines take some time to open up. I don't know how much you have driven but usually you see a FE/Performance increase after 5000kms. Apart from this, Santro is 854kgs with 1.1 litre engine and Punto is 1172kgs with 1.2 litre engine so it's bound to be bit slower in acceleration than Santro.

If you still feel your Punto lacks acceleration then try driving some friends Punto or a TD car and see the difference.
  3. I've seen this while climbing hill or with AC. Yes, but it will improve with more usage.
  4. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

MOD NOTE: Thread Moved.
  5. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    For better drivability GP has Short gear ratio. 1st & 2nd cog of GP are only for to move the car from standstill.

Santro/Swift & other cars has tall gear ratio so more gear changes in Santro/Swift & other cars
  6. arun687

I've done close to 4k kms now on my car and now the 2nd gear acceleration is a whole lot better than it was when I bought the car. Sure with usage, it's going to improve a lot.