1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.2 a beautiful car with one major issue!

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by arun_chak, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Did you know that 1.2 Mill is much torquey and is set to experience a kick @ 2500rpm
    The max torque is on the 1st and thats how it zips through for a pickup
    on the whole 1.4 opens up above 4000 rpm and thats where 1.2 feels a bit underpowered but believe me
    Fiat has designed 1.2 & 1.4 very smartly adapting to indian roads.

When it comes to mileage , rest for sure both 1.2 & 1.4 is good and should be in excess of 11kmpl with odo above 5000kms with
    an oil change and everything and with 100% ac on.
    I f anyone wants to achieve more , better use 60% -40% of AC while making sure 5th gear is engaged before 50-55 kmph
    air check every 2 weeks , Regular 91 ron Gasoline , Sequential Gear shifts , Engine braking implemention and avoid sudden/agressive starts

I hope this helps
    Cheers
    TND
  2. arun_chak

arun_chak

Chennai
    Oh!Thanks for the insight ::O .. I guess its not an apt time for me to talk about mileage with an odo of 2k. Will wait and watch.
  3. hello friends..

I have experienced the same problem in my 1.2 E GP which i bought 3 months back . I have dicussed this with even the Fiat SA in concorde bangalore . They accept that the problem is reported & the owner might have to live with it.

Did anybody get any answers from Fiat or the dealers , or pressing the clucth fully at lower rpm's is the only solution
    because there were instances i have felt that im goin to bang the vehicle/pavement /person now & have slammed the brakes badly
  4. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Motor spirit,what you have written is really scary.Do consult with other Punto 1.2 owners.
  5. bala, as i joined late in this dicussion i cud also confirm that it exists in my vehicle. However there were members who dicussed extensively on this subject. I wanted to know if any steps or solutions have come out to curb the problem
  6. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    I would suggest "TIME" is the only solution.... It is not a flaw with the vehicle... i have never experienced it in my 21K kms running.... I feel it's just that you need to adjust your style of driving a bit... As mentioned that "pressing the clutch at lower rpm's is the solution" i feel it is good also for vehicle's health... you should press the clutch if the RPM falls too below in 2nd or 3rd gear and change the gear... Trust me it's just in brains that the car has problem...To me it is just a wonderful car with slight issues with AC cooling but FIAT has come up with a solution for that too...

On the other note i get around 13 kmpl in city with full ac on... and can never be happier than this... i used to get 10kmpl when the car was new...

Regards,
    Shashank

A FIAT gets better with age... it is like us...
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    motor_spirit, please go through the initial few pages of this thread. The breaking in 1.2 Fire is discussed extensively.
    You just need to adjust your driving style a bit.
  8. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    I fully agree with this. If you do not instinctively press clutch and shift down when the speeds become low in higher gears, you really haven't learned to drive. :mischievous
  9. Very true. This is basic with gear and clutch. If I’m in standstill position and don’t keep my clutch fully pressed in first gear, my engine stops. This is not Fiat’s problem but my driving problem. Never faced the issue.
  10. arun_chak

arun_chak

Chennai
    I think one cannot blame the drivers skills completely. The onus is on car also. This will happens more frequently when the A/C is on. I feel this is more to do with the capability of vacuum generation by the engine. The vacuum generation on Punto 1.2 is definitely tad less than its other models. This is typically very bad when the A/C is on. You can also hit this issue when you are taking reverse and you apply break in quick succession with A/C on. When Anti Stalll kicks in then it should ensure that it never compromises on vacuum generation in break booster, even if it means cutting power to A/C unit and power steering. A car can only be termed safe when it doesn't exhibits any such behavior under any condition. Just by blaming it on driving skills we are shying away from the underlying issue