1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.2 a beautiful car with one major issue!

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by arun_chak, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Yes,you should write it in the CEO corner of FIAT-INDIA website and aslo write a detailed mail with cc to everyone in FIAT
  2. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Arun,

Vishwas is more or less spot on for the solution. Thats why you will find that not everyone complains about this issue. Dont lose heart.

IMO you are finding it an issue more because as you are alternating between the i10 and the 1.2 Punto and you have rightly pointed that out. Basically the solution is driving around the set up of the Punto. To tell you the truth, the same issue can be created in the 1.3 mjd as well and I have felt it when the the rpm really dips below the stall levels but the mjd recovers more quickly

All said and done, FIAT better redesign the components to make it a straight fit for one and all.

Abdul
  3. arun_chak

arun_chak

Chennai
    Thanks Abdul, Vishwas, Rajeev and all who have volunteered to help me :) .. I will follow your tips and drive *ONLY* Punto for another week or so. Will let you know as how it goes. TeamFiat rocks!!
  4. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Arun, I back you on brake issue.

Why I am saying this is because more than 95% owners faced this issue. Even I banged 3 cars in eraly days.

We are listening less about this because we changed our driving style for improvement, weather is not that much hot now (due to heavy rain this year) so we can switch off ac in between.

Also, I notice slight improvement after ECU replacement which was done to improve cooling.

I can re-create this issue in any 1.2 Punto but again in very specific condition\simulation "Traffic is moving inch by inch and you are playing with your brake and clutch"

I got very nervous initially and tested in around 6-7 Active Petrol. I was able to produce this issue all the times.

I also got the same answer from workshops that this is know in 1.2 engine.

I tried and tested this in Sentro, i10, i20, Alto, Wagone R, Swift, Polo, Figo. None of them is having this char.

Lets discuss this with FIAT top gund during our meet, that too with strong strength.
  5. arun_chak

arun_chak

Chennai
    Nitin,

You bet.... Actually FIAT-Pune called me to rate Concorde service on scale of 1-10. I asked them as who will rate FIAT as the issue is with their model ;) .. They promised to get back to me asap. All I want is to hear FIAT's version on this issue, so that I can let this thread know. Let's see how it goes....
  6. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    I have never driven a 1.2, but I think I understand the issue from all these description.
    May be Fiat should have let the engine stall and do the braking like other manufacturers. ::pP
  7. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    Hi Arun,

I am also driving a 1.2 for more than an year now... Have completed 18K and of which 17K is in city traffic.... that too hyderabad (Thereis no word traffic sense in hyderabad), I have never faced this issue... I checked it with my wife too, she also confirmed that this has never happened.... It might be a case that a lot of Puntos hs this specific problem.... When driving to and from Office i drive in B2B traffic daily in 2nd gear or at times 1st gear with RPM less than 1000, but trust me this has never occured,,,, Will check this specific case today also...

I suggest you to reach out to ceo_desk with your issue and do mention your chasis number in the mail...

I even called up Malik cars and asked the Fiat Service Manager regarding this... he mentioned that they have not heard of this kind of an issue with 1.2 FIRE....
  8. arun_chak

arun_chak

Chennai
    Shashank, good to know that you never faced this issue. I think you and your wife's driving style matches as suggested by many Punters :) .. To be specific... You need to turn the A/C on fan speed at 2-3, release clutch, let the car move on it own, slowly apply break twice or thrice and check. On the side note I have started implementing the workaround deliberately and I didn't face the issue for past 3 days.
  9. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

It happens more with high speed of fan and with AC ON only.

One more thing, it comes only invery slow speed hence making a safe distance is very helpful.

Brake works absolutly fine in high speed. No need to worry at all. I've already invested 2-3 months during this testing. Applied brake with 100+ speed several times. During this I had a funny momenet too, when applied brake at around 100 kph but did not realize that SC manager is not using seat belt. As a result I found him on the deshboard of my car where he was searching his specs. He said "Sir, isse jyada kya kaam karega brake". Ha ha ha ::D

We can't go and hit someone in very slow moving traffic also we invested good amount hence we can't aceept that our family is sweating inside the car to avoid this issue.

If we maintain safe distance then bikers are there to fill the gap. So, yes we have to take this matter with Fiat on 3rd Dec.
  10. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    i think its just the driving style that has to be changed. Fiat cannot be driven like a japanese car. its more of a drive-by wire technology.