1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.2 a beautiful car with one major issue!

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by arun_chak, Nov 23, 2010.

1. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi Arun,
    Please check the Brk Booster using the attachment.
    [attachment=0:3cagcovf]brake booster test.JPG[/attachment:3cagcovf]

--Rajeev

brake booster test.JPG
  2. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Arun,

I do feel in agreement with you and defenitely your braking system doesnt seem to be normal. I dont advise you to use the clutch for braking at speeds of 40. My suggestion was to use the clutch only in B2B crawling traffic.

Rajeev seems to be giving good and relevant guidance. You can also PM our friends Nitin and Ratan Shivi as to how they are using the brakes or how they have overcome this problem if they had it . They too have 1.2 Punto. All said and done , put your foot down at TASC and ask them to get the car to your satisfaction.

I see you are in Chennai . Concorde ,Ambattur has some good guys . I have been getting good service from them

Abdul
  3. arun_chak

arun_chak

Chennai
    Abdul,

I think this is a problem specific to petrol 1.2 engines. Not my car alone. Although many owners claimed they have seen it rarely. But when I test drove the showroom car then also this issue cropped up. I already had the Service advisor Mr. Muthu examine my car for 2 whole days. All he said was that he bled the air out of intake and checked the entire break assembly (nothing unusual). Also spoke to the service manager Mr. Sairaj. He promised to escalate this issue and have FIAT come and check my car... Till now nothing happened :( ... Now I bet that I can reproduce this issue in any 1.2 with A/C on. To me seems more like a design issue, and I have a gut feeling that Concorde is already aware of this.
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    this must be a issue with 1.2 , the reason is very simple though, but fiat should not be let away with this. this is a very high risk to human life.
    the brakes work on vacuum and its generated by the engine. when u pump the brakes continuously while idling the engine the rpm should increase immediately to a value to cope up with the air requirement of the brakes + electrical load. if this doesnt happen the brakes will jam, which is happening in case of 1.2.
    this is a clear design fault which fiat has to consider very seriously and immediately resolve.
  5. arun_chak

arun_chak

Chennai
    Exactly! this what ideally every car should do. Never faced this issue in i10 though, and I am sure other cars also don't have this issue. Wonder if FIAT has turned its deaf ears on this design flaw! Any idea who can I escalate this in FIAT. Concorde is not helping me much here. This is the first rude shock I am getting after buying FIAT, even though couple of my colleagues warned me about TATA-FIAT service issues.
  6. manojnambiar

manojnambiar Novizio

Bangalore
    hi
    This is definitely a serious prob...with such an issue never a person behind the wheel can enjoy his/her driving,,, n naturally a negative approach shall creep into the mind of owners.
    Is there no way that our forum TFI take this matter to FIAT and ensure that thy come out with a solution, rather than advising to change / adjust the driving style/technique ( usage of clutch n brake combination )....?.....

Also I came to know that FIAT has come out with an air-conditioning retrofit kit for 1.2 punto consisting of an advanced design compressor & larger condensor, inorder to increase efficiency its a/c, & this modification is incorporated in the new ones coming out from factory....and again this is applicable to petrol versions only........ do anybody have any information on this...?

I strongly believe that FIAT should look into this BRAKE issue and come out with some modification, and get the problem fixed free of cost.....
    Hpe they does sooon...

However till then be cautious & have a safe drive....

rgrds.

Manoj.
  7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I never faced this issue.
  8. arun_chak

arun_chak

Chennai
    Manoj, thanks for your concern. I am in dialogue with Concorde on this. Let me see what they come up with. Will keep this thread posted......
  9. vishwas

vishwas

Pune
    Hi Arun,

I myself faced this issue a lot during my initial driving days of my Punto. This happens when your RPM goes below the idle RPM typically in B2B traffic and AC on, when we continuously brake/accelarate.
    The only solution if you want this issue to go is depress the clutch as soon as the engine is going below the idle 1000-1100 RPM or soo. Just do this consciously for a couple of days and then your driving style would automatically make you reach the clutch. Its just about changing your driving style to adjust to the car. This happens because the engine does not stall and goes down to about 600-700 RPM. In other cars typically the engine stalls/knocks before reaching such low RPMs and because of this you automatically depress the clutch. Since 1.2 FIRE does not give this knock I used to not press the clutch causing the RPMs to go low.
    Try this out and let us know how it goes.
  10. arun_chak

arun_chak

Chennai
    Hi Vishwas,

I am consciously following that. First thing I am doing now is avoiding driving my dad's I10 :) .... Everything said and done this is a workaround. What if you missed to do this .. will the car spare you ;)... So I am trying to escalate this issue to FIAT and want to see as what they say. Atleast if they cannot fix it then they should document this in their manual for the owners to be aware, instead of hunting on the internet to know the solution. What do you say?