1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.2 a beautiful car with one major issue!

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by arun_chak, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Thanks for that info Arun,I take my car to Tafe and they have very little knowledge about FIAT cars and that was the reason for the question.Have you contacted VST,they seem to be good and know a few things.
    Mine is an MJD Active Linea,I do not know the reason behind the mistake in profile.
    I understand that your intention was a good one,it really helps.Even if one panics,it will only make him more cautious,so no probs.
  2. Hi arun. welcme to team fiat. i am not sure about ur brake issue but jus wanna say thanks for buying fiat after owning maruti for 6 years. great move. fix ur problem and enjoy ur ride.
  3. Rev Happy Turbo

Rev Happy Turbo Novizio

Mumbai
    As ravi stated there was a huge discussion on the braking issue of the 1.2

From my understanding you shouldn't let the engine speed fall that low where the engine cannot produce enough power for the hydraulics to generate pressure...
    remember, the engine is running the power steering, AC, brakes (EBD) + clutch and the FWD at the same time..

just maintain a higher rpm and some distance in front of your car till you figure your driving style.. understanding the car is still new to you.

FIAT would never launch a car with defective brakes. Actually they are one of the best on Indian roads.
    Driving below the idle rpm is not recommended by any car maker..
  4. arun_chak

arun_chak

Chennai
    @Rev Happy Turbo: Hi, this issue typically comes in Punto 1.2 alone when you are moving in a very slow traffic. Personally I don't want to keep her at low rpm but then when you are moving in a slow traffic there is nothing much you can do. As you suggested now I have started maintaining distance in front. Here I also want to tell you that I have driven my dad's car (hyundai I10) very frequently and never faced such issue. I think an ideal city car should not have these issues because 90% of the time I drive in city, and I face this situation daily. On the same note I see this for 1.3 MJD in one forum "1.3 has a separate vacuum pump to generate vacuum. (it being a diesel). Diesel owners will have this problem only if the vacuum pump fails." Do you own 1.2 Punto?
  5. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Arun_chak,

As people were mentioning, this issue was discussed extensively and was resolved by changing driving style.Similarly, the key to this issue is not to let the rpm fall very low by loading the engine with half clutch as I can read from your post . As the engine power gets sapped by many other functioning , the vacuum generation falls a bit. That is why the brake hardens,
    My suggestion is depress the clutch fully when you dont need power.You are probably running at minimum rpm which forces the anti stall to kick in and the engine finds itself fully loaded at low rpm when you are in half clutch. At idling rpm the car is designed to feed all functions and systems and it wont let down the user. So depress the clutch fully and use brake. The clutch is butter smooth and wont be a strain on your legs :wink:

Abdul
  6. arun_chak

arun_chak

Chennai
    Abdul,

Thanks, I actually do what you said. I don't drive with half clutch. The catch here is when traffic is moving inch by inch and despite of pressing clutch fully after every break press the vacuum takes some time to get created. I usually turn off the A/C during such instances. But then what we are talking is the way to mitigate it or a workaround. Why is that this issue is not coming in other cars? I still remember the grin on the face of the service person who told me "Sir! this is an issue with Punto 1.2" . I also wonder if this issue was discussed extensively then why it was not escalated to FIAT. Somehow I feel owners of 1.2 have accepted it and started living with this. I am pretty sure that with 1.3MJD you would have never faced this issue.
  7. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Amogh,

I think you need to discuss this brake issue with FIAT when you visit the factory.

Abdul
  8. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi,
    First of all, this issue is not consistent. It happened to me only 2-3 times in my almost 1 yr ownership and drive in Mumbai
    I observed that it happens only when we 'pump in' the brakes in start-stop traffic.
    If we release the brake completely before applying again the hardening doesn't happens.

But yes there is a problem and it needs to be resolved. Here TASC is not much of help.

--Rajeev
  9. arun_chak

arun_chak

Chennai
    Rajeev,

Trust me this is happening to me quite often. Today while going to office I was at a speed of 40kmph with a Santro front of me on the same speed. I maintained a safe distance of 4ft. My A/C was running and fan speed at 2nd level. I saw santro applied break and I did to be safe then again the santro driver did in 3rd second, I also did (again to be safe). During each break press I ensured that I pressed the clutch fully and the engine rpm was ~1500. After this I felt the break was hard. I immediately turned A/C off and pressed the clutch once more. Then break was pretty much fine. Trust me being humans, how many times you will maintain a safe distance and play with clutch and A/C. Shouldn't this car take care of it. I should say this issue is even seen in higher rpms when A/C is on and you break with 2-3 seconds time interval.
  10. I have never faced this issue in last 14 months of my ownership and 7K on ODO. This is my first car and punto 1.2 is the only car I've driven (apart from some lessons in M800 during training). I've heard ppl saying that you have to press clutch hard to have proper effect. I always follow the basic steps and I don't have any preoccupied notion in my mind of other car's clutch, pedal, brake working. Not sure if this is manufacturing defect in some of the batches only.