1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.2 a beautiful car with one major issue!

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by arun_chak, Nov 23, 2010.

1. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

I would like to add something here.... pumping brakes constantly when rpm is already 800 means you have to use clutch else it is not possible vehicle will stop with jerk if you don't use clutch at such low rpm.... now the question is whether half clutch or full.... I will say if you can push the accelerator then half clutch is fine (if traffic started moving), as the rpm will increase and "all is well" or full clutch, so if you use full clutch then you will never face the issue as the vaccum is awesome with full clutch and brakes are awesome then.... So it is hard to believe the people even apply brakes multiple times without using clutch at rpm below 800... How????
  2. AnilGowda

Guys I just joined this forum last week and I must tell you this is a wonderful forum, yoy get a lot of information in here...
    Thanks for all the people who are moderating this forum..

Many Thanks
  3. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Ratan, Do you have upgraded ECU installed in your car. If yes, then there is rare chance to replicate this issue. I am saying this because, I faced break hardness issue many times prior to upgrade but after upgrade I am not able to replicate this issue. I am sure FIAT did something with ECU that time.
  4. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Apart from you (and may be at the most a few handful 1.2 Active owners), have not heard 1.2 Active owners of changing the ECU.
  5. VahanPujari

I've tried to consciously analyse how do I drive in Start-Stop-Start heavy traffic today. Its more or less similar to what I earlier mentioned (quoted below) with a few variations:

No change in 1st & 3rd steps of stopping. In 2nd step, when the car is at standstill with both -Clutch & Brake- FULLY pressed to the floor & needs to start running, left foot very slightly releases the clutch (may be 10% to 20%), simulataneously right foot goes from brake to accelerator & press it slightly, car gains some momentum & starts crawling, right foot is taken off from accelerator & just touches the brake (rests there without pressing the brake) just ready to press the brake when the need be. Clutch is never fully released & mostly only 10% to 50% released (slightly released). When I see the vehicles in front slowing down & I'll need to brake, left foot further presses the clutch which reduces the motion & only when the car is required to stop to a standstill the right foot presses the brake fully with left foot pressing clutch to the floor.

Again, at no point it was Half Clutch & Half brake. Clutch was mostly pressed more than half i.e. 50% to 100% pressed.

I repeat, Fiat clutch has a long ply. Half clutch in GP/Linea might be fully released or only 10%-20% pressed in some other car, may be.

Ratan - You'll never be able to simulate this typical issue, however hard you try on whichever 1.2 active car. :mrgreen:

6. royj

royj Esperto

VP, That was a very detailed analysis of the driving process in B2B traffic and exactly matches the way I drive. ::T
    Pressing the clutch is always ingrained in my mind to (prevent stalling) right from the days of learning to drive.
    My driving instructor was always ready to twist your ear if the car stalls ::V
  7. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

VP, FIAT installed new ECU as the very first step to improve cooling in 1.2.

Original ECU caused AC cut-off most of the time due to high temp hence there was no cooling at all. To bring down AC cut-offs, FIAT started ECU replacement.

Later on they started to reprogram rather than replacement. ECU re-programming is being carried out with new kit installation for those who was not gone through earlier.
  8. kalis

Guys - There is a BRAKE PROBLEM but FIAT will not accept it instead of wasting our time discussing on this, lets take a vow that we WILL NOT SUGGEST FIAT VEHICLES TO OUR friends/ colleagues/ family etc and try our best to see that the FIAT SALES will come down (any how its already low) and we save others from facing this problem.
  9. VahanPujari

I think there is a correction. Before AC kit replacement came, the earliper option was not to change the ECU but there was a CD given to TASC thro' which ECU was reprogrammed/ flashed. Have not seen any of the members (except you) to change the entire ECU.

That's solely your individual opinion & nobody will or can force you not to change it. Apart from a few, the other 1.2 Active owners have not experienced this issue. In fact, there are 1.2 Active owners who are vouching for brakes in this very thread. Hence a generic statement condemning brakes universally on 1.2 Active does not hold water. 3 days back I read the entire thread in one go. Anybody doing it can easily say where the problem lies. Some of those few who had earlier experienced this issue due to certain typical driving have reported that they've not faced it after subtly correcting those "typical" driving. However, if one is obstinate & hell-bent on continuing without understanding how the issue is arising, nobody can help or do anything.
  10. arun_chak

Hmm.. I never knew that the thread which I started casually could become so hot/happening. I still love my Punto. I seriously feel that Fiat is an underrated car. Even I was under that impression until I started driving her. Kudos to TFI, taking suggestions of the members I am able to understand the technicalities and adjust my driving style. I think I can live with this. There are only two things which I feel could have been better 1.] Engine Power and 2.] After Sales service. My final verdict is that "PUNTO IS THE BEST". People should get out of Maruti/Huyndai/Tata/Chevvy and give Fiat a chance. She really deserves it :)