1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.2 a beautiful car with one major issue!

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by arun_chak, Nov 23, 2010.

1. jumu

jumu Superiore

Actually the funny thing that is happening now after reading and responding to all these posts is that you tend to be aware of all these basic driving habits which were otherwise done instinctively :)

Apologies to Bhai for going :eek:fftopic but Bhai learning and unlearning do not have limits. otherwise you will not have the concept of continuous improvement in management :ban :)
  2. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

But thats what the solution experienced by most of the owners who faced this issue by adapting to subtle changes.

Besides, not every 1.2 Active owner has experienced any issues with brakes.
  3. rohitirole

MOD NOTE: Post deleted.
  4. AnilGowda

I read only firts five pages of this thread, and just want to post my experience on this issue.

Even I have faced this issue 4 times in last 10 months and I thought there was something wrong in my style of driving, every single time i have faced this issue I was about to hit a car in B2B traffic, was lucky to escape in all 4 occassions.
    Is this issue resolved ?

Guys your advise please...
    what should I do now, should I raise a complaint for this issue ?
  5. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

It is actually not an issue.... I would say you missed using the clutch in the best way on those 4 times in last month.... I would say that each car needs a bit of change in driving style and for Punto 1.2 you should use the full clutch in B2B traffic instead of half clutch...
  6. royj

royj Esperto

You are absolutely right. Please read the last few pages of this thread and ensure you don't face the problem again and drive safe. :up
  7. ratanshivi

ratanshivi Regolare

Mald (East)
    Hey Guys!!

I have tried my level best to drop the RPM as low as possible to check if the breaks dont work, but to my surprise the RPM does not fall below 800 and I am not facing the Brake failure issue at all with or without the AC,moreover I am still getting an Average of 11K/L in B2B traffic with AC on.

I am bewildered at the fact that My 1.2 Active breaks are absolutely ACTIVE at any Stage.
    The Joke is That Even when I drove Sai Shetty's I did not face the Issue...
  8. arun_chak

Can we exchange the cars ::V
  9. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

ratan, did you try pumping the brakes constantly when the rpm reaches 800.. ??
  10. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

I think you'll have to let the car stall else I also do not see how to let RPM's drop below that 800-900 as that seems to be the minimum idle RPM !! My car rarely stalls ( may be 2-3 times in a year) & that also happens only in higher gear i.e. 4th/ 3rd/ 2nd. I can't imagine myself stalling my car in 1st gear however hard I try (and this is not only limited to Linea but also to my earlier Ford Ikon).

How do you do it in Bumper to Bumper traffic when car should be mostly in 1st gear or at the most 2nd? You try to do it & you'll hit the car in front in all probability if the 2nd or 3rd stroke of pumping does not come in time. Somehow I do not see any relevance of this pumping of brakes in Start-Stop-Start traffic. And just for the records, I drive daily 64 kms in Mumbai's severe traffic for 3.5 hours.

Ratan - If you still want to simulate this, try following at your own risk as I see this very dangerous / risky. In traffic when you are at lower speed, apply "half" brake without pressing clutch. Just when car is about to stall (may be almost at the stage of knocking), slowly press only half or even lesser clutch, now traffic moved ahead & there is space in front & you've to take the car ahead so release bit of the "half" pressed brake & release clutch, now again you've to brake/ stop, so further press that "partially" pressed brake :confused Why I find this dangerous? Because if you notice, in the entire cycle, clutch is hardly used that too only partially pressed or half pressed. Brake is used continuously however, never fully pressed or more than half pressed - its always a bit pressed or at the most half pressed. And there could be moments when brake is just slightly pressed & clutch not pressed at all yet (1st step in above sequence), you see traffic clearing so you release the brake, the car will surge ahead as clutch is not pressed, now suddenly you've to stop as car has gained more momentum than required, you again apply brake & clutch hoping its not too late & hope it happens before the brake feels jammed.

Earlier, several times I tried to test using "lesser" clutch and/ or "lesser" braking (frequency of braking). This also happened as recently as since last 2-3 weeks to improve ecoIndex & FE. In certain typical conditions, I clearly see myself much more in control in my original way of driving (mentioned 3-4 posts earlier) than this way of driving.