1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.2 a beautiful car with one major issue!

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by arun_chak, Nov 23, 2010.

1. arun_chak

Ok I have a million dollar question. Have you ever tried taking reverse in a packed traffic. Let's say you negotiated a U-Turn with less radius and then you have to reverse back and there are dozen cars waiting for you to do it soon. You slowly take reverse along with break and half clutch and suddenly the break Jams.. what will you do?

I can live with steering rattle and less A/C, they are meant for comfort but you cannot compromise on break. Having said that I also agree with you that changing the style really fixes the issue. But then there are corner cases when you still hit the issue.
  2. royj

royj Esperto

I still don't understand why one doesn't use clutch while applying brake.
    While taking a slow reverse on half clutch, I don't need to use the brake. I will be controlling the speed with clutch and accelerator. The moment I need to brake, I press clutch fully, lift the foot of accelerator and apply brake. If you still face an issue, it just shows that one hasn't fully mastered the clutch-brake operation. I really doubt if I will ever be able to reproduce the issue you guys are facing.
  3. arun687

Couldn't agree more with royj. Exactly the point I've been trying to put across.
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    royj has replied how to use cluth-break.
    I did say in my earlier post, Fiat must rectify the issue. But the alternative is not hard.

This you can say because you don't have this issues. Please have a look at the owners (ggogle it), how they feel about it.
  5. jumu

jumu Superiore

When this issue was hotly discussed on Punto group, I had replicated the same issue in my mjd. It was in a B2B evening traffic. In fact I remember I had immediately called amogh to tell him about it. But I would admit it was pretty hard to do it and required determination and a similar opportunity in the traffic. Was it @nitin who had the issue ?. Well now I guess he is enjoying after understanding the working of the braking and change of style. I also remember he was at his wits end with the problem similar to what @kalis is going through now.
    Roy, while reversing, I hardly use the accelerator. I use only the clutch and brake modulation to feed and govern the motion.. Well , for people used to other cars, it is not easy to master a new method especially when the mind is focused on a fault which never seems to go away ,but with the right knowledge and advise, there aint anything that cant be mastered especially for this issue where all the other members in this forum are pretty comfortable with their 1.2 cars.

6. royj

royj Esperto

Well I understand what you are trying to say, but this half clutch - half brake approach work best in older carburetor type vehicles with idle rpm set way up high. It will definitely cause problems in ANY vehicle if the rpm goes too low. Either you will stall or you get the problem of brakes becoming hard (if they are powered brakes as is the case with all modern vehicles).
    Definitely these are situations that test the driver's skill, but blaming it on the vehicle is trying to dodge the real issue. I remember my driving instructor getting me into such situations to hone my skills some twenty years back.
  7. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

::D :mrgreen:
    On a serious note, the above post is very important & pertinent alongwith the following post.

The statement in Bold in above post is how I also drive.

In the above simulation, lets say I've taken the U-turn & the car is standstill now & I need to reverse. Obviously at this point I've FULLY pressed the clutch to the floor & also Brake is FULLY pressed to the floor. Now, for reversing the clutch is sllllowlyyy being released (mm by mm) & simultaneously my right foot comes off the brake & sllllowlyyy/ presses the accelerator. In this slowwww reversing, if suddenly I've to apply brake, imdtly left foot presses clutch to the floor, right foot is lifted from accelerator & applies Brake. In the entire process I do not see myself applying both Clutch & Brake half-pressed simultaneously. I also do not see myself "appying brake-release brake (half or full)-applying brake fully again" in 1 single sequence. Somewhere in between the brake will be fully released & accelerator is touched/ pressed slightly breaking the sequence of applying brake-release-apply (which I understood from the discussion is causing the jam). In fact, I never see myself pumping the brake in 1 single sequence (apply-release-apply) except when at extremely high speed & applying sudden brake to avoid skidding.

I use the same above sequence in Stop-Start-Stop B2B traffic also. Assuming its a quick sequence of Stop-Start-Stop, am breaking these micros steps below:

Stop - Clutch & Brake both are fully pressed
    Start - Clutch slowly slowly released (step by step - mm by mm), Brake is released & right foot touches accelerator & presses it slowly (step by step - mm by mm). At this point Clutch may or may not be fully released or may be partially released or fully released but brake is fully released as the right foot is on accelerator.
    Stop - Immediate sudden stop warrants right foot to go to brake from accelerator pressing the brake fully. Simultaneously Clutch is pressed FULLY so as not to let the car stall.

I think combination of one or more of the following 3 items are compounding to cause situation in this simulation:

• Anti-stall
    • Alternating between 2 different cars - Starting from when I learnt driving & from when I was driving Two-Wheeler to now cars, whenever I start any vvehicle other than mine, instinctively as a habit first few minutes & few meters/ km's I test the Clutch-Brake-Accelerator settings for thesee are different in different vehicles. They are even different in the same model but 2 different pieces.

Fiat clutch has a long ply. Half-clutch in Punto may mean no-clutch (fully released) in some other car due to difference in settings.

[/*:m:3ves5epn][*]Driving habits: I would not say "Change" the driving habits. In fact, by doing what is mentioned in 2nd point above, I try to "adapt" myself with the other vehicle which I'm starting. This happens instinctivey & after driving that other vehicle for some time, one finds "adapted" to the other vehicle. [/*:m:3ves5epn]

And may be that's why not everybody is experiencing this issue in their 1.2 Active Punto's
  8. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

See the difference here in my driving habit mentioned in my earlier post & jumu's. In some typical situations, one of us may have a stalled car or a jammed brake whereas the other may not have any such issue.

Couln't agree more ::T
    Actually, there is nothing to "master". Such changes happen instinctively in your driving once you try your hand on the other vehicle & drive it for some time. I still remember older times when I move from my bike to a friends bike & say brake settings are different. Say in my bike I've to just press slightly ("X") and the brake applies fully whereas in my friends bike there is a long play i.e. I've to press brake not "X" pressure but "2X" or "3X" or "4X" pressure to apply it fully. Driving a few meters/ km's adapts you to that setting and when I switch back to my bike, again a few meters drive & testing adapts me to my bikes setting. Thats how it happens with me. The same goes for Clutch-Gear-Accelerator combination when I try my hand on a friends car. Sometimes it gets stalled for once or twice but a little more use adapts myself to its settings.
  9. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    VP sir, that is exactly how I have been driving bike, scooter as well as car for the past 7-8 years.
    Driving in B2B traffic without clutch is impossible. It will lead to engine stalling and invite mad horn honking by the public left stranded behind you.

You have to press clutch while braking and "clutch" usage is an absolute indication in B2B traffic.
  10. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Discussion should be on brake problem. Not on driving technique etc. :confused

I mean how to use clutch,throttle & how to apply brakes etc.

IMO every member is master in driving.