1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.2 a beautiful car with one major issue!

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by arun_chak, Nov 23, 2010.

1. arun_chak

arun_chak

Chennai
    Hello there,

I am new member to this forum. And I am also a new Punter ::O . I was having "Maruti Alto" previously for past 6 yrs and then we decided to upgrade. Not to mention I took test drive of almost all B+ segment cars. None of them was actually an awe. Then almost we thought to drop the idea of upgrading a new car. Incidentally one of my friend suggested me to test drive Punto as a last and final try. So we went to Concorde with the same presumption (of not upgrading). The dealer was very courteous and he offered us to test drive Punto 1.2. We sat inside the car.... and after closing the doors it was like a whole new world inside. The cabin was very quite and when I turned the key to ignition the engine did started but I never knew if it was really running ::D . I took her to 1st gear and she just glided on the road.... Wow what a wonderful experience it was. First time I felt like driving some luxurious sedan. The experience was totally new and cannot be explained. We immediately decided that Punto is our next car. I should say that none of the car in its class matches it.

Now comes the climax... We booked the car and it took 15 days for Exotica red to come. We waited patiently. Each day was like an year passing by ::D. Finally on Nov-12 I got behind the wheels of the beauty. It was already night so we decided to go for a long drive next day. As planned, next day I took her along with my family for a long drive (~100kms). While returning back there was a big traffic Jam and the cars were moving slowly. It was then when I experienced that the break of the car refused to work. It wont budge despite of me pushing hard. But the issue immediately went off so I overlooked it not expecting it to come again. But Punto proved me wrong, I again faced the same issue, and this time I faced it 4 times in row. There was an instance that I could have banged on the car in my front, but luckily applied hand brake.

I reported the issue to the sales guy and he arranged to have my car looked up by the service person at Concorde (from where I bought the car). The service person told me that this issue was because of Air leaked inside break booster. He kept the car under observation for two days and then called me to pick it. He also assured that this was a minor issue and will never happen again.

But I was skeptical..... the same night I drove her deliberately on a very low speed at midnight. The engine rpm didn't exceed 1000. I pressed the clutch half way and applied break thrice and bang ::OO .... the break failed again. It wont push in even if I stand on it. I turned off the A/C and pressed the clutch completely and then the break became normal. I got totally scared and then I found that in two different forms (Overdrive and Team-BHP) this issue is reported. And looks like this is a design flaw in 1.2 litre engines alone.

Has any body owning 1.2 faced this issue also? What should be the next action plan? Any suggestions? I am really concerned about the safety aspect now :(
  2. gautamkhadse

gautamkhadse Regolare

Pune
    I think there was a major discussion on this , although i face this once , but like you said pressing the clutch solves the problem and that is what we concluded at ! Am gonna try and simulate this again and see if the issue still exists in my car
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    We had some discussions on our old google groups (http://groups.google.com/group/punto-us ... 0d8195d2d#)

I am quoting some of the posts ::D .

4. No idea about your brake issue, looks like faulty booster though. On a side note no need to keep the car below 1000 rpm . 1000rpm is too low for normal driving. Current gen engines are pre run hence don't require run in still if you intend to do it you can keep it below 2500rpm till 1000kms
  5. arun_chak

arun_chak

Chennai
    Atul, I am not sure if the booster is faulty. The service engineer got it completely examined and claimed that there was air in the intake and he had it bleed. Per his info this issue will never be seen. But today I again went to the showroom and took the test drive car (1.2 Punto) to check if this is seen in other cars or not. I just tried simulating as if I was driving in a traffic jam.Which means I held the clutch half (AC on). Was slowly applying breaks occasionally and then the break failed. I also had the service engineer to testify it. He also drove and confirmed it. With a grin on his face he said "Sir! this is a problem with 1.2".

Then I went and discussed with the service manager. He promised me to have this issue escalated to Fiat and to have Fiat engineer contact me... Need to follow up with him. Also I dont think that in a typical slow moving traffic in city you can rev up to 2500 rpm. All you have to do is play with clutch and break.

You can also check this forum http://www.overdrive.in/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16842 .

I feel either we need to escalate this serious safety issue, or try to accept it and live with it. For me I really feel insecured to live with this major flaw.
  6. About the rpm's what i meant was no need to actively keep it below 1000rpm, if it's below 1000rpm due to traffic conditions then fine. I don't think there would be different brake setups in 1.2 or 1.4 or even the MJD. Let me try this tomorrow on my Linea and see what happens.Without engine running if you press brakes repeatedly it hardens and thats cause the vacuum is exhausted which as per my guess should not happen while engine is running.
  7. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    It's really scary :cry: ,but Iam yet to understand the problem in toto.Mine is a MJD Linea and the other day the driver was driving very fast over 120k/h and suddenly a biker came in front of our car and I thought it was over but the brakes worked perfectly(mine is an active version with no EBD),but now after reading this am getting nervous and the confidence in FIAT is eroded. :sadblue
  8. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Arun,which A.S.S is that,tafe or VST or Concorde??
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Bala, you have MJD Active or 1.4 E-Pack. Your profile says 1.4.

Anyway the problem reported only in 1.2 Fire, but nothing has been established yet.

The owners must contact Fiat higher-ups and get permanent solution/explanation.
  10. arun_chak

arun_chak

Chennai
    The whole idea of this thread is not to make others panic. I just want to get feedback from other 1.2 Punters :). FIAT are no doubt best in class. Moreover this issue is only in 1.2 Punto and is not reported/seen in Linea, or 1.3MJD and 1.4. Although you can check it. The A.S.S was Concorde Motors (Ambattur). I think that now I am famous person there for all obvious reasons ::D , you can refer my name if you are planning to drop there :wink: