1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.2 60000kms service : comparing with the Indica Safire 1.2, obervations, tips and suggestions

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by puntophile, Jul 29, 2015.

1. puntophile

puntophile Amatore

Indirapuram NCR
    Dear All,

The Punto 1.2 is a very underrated car. Simple, rare and lovable! Needs its yearly share of TLC!

I own a Punto 1.2 2012 Dynamic. Extremely happy with the car, except some odd rattles here and there. Scheduled services were done at Oberoi Fiat, Noida, and even though it is a few months away, I am posting the following, in preparation. I never prepared as much for IIT JEE or for my wedding for that matter...!

Feb 16: and it will be time for the major 60000 service, though the car would have run only about 36000 till then.

I was reading the Indica Vista Safire(hence after called IVS) 1.2 Owners manual and it is an identical engine in ALL respects. My obervations/queries regarding the service items and schedules:

1) Air filter change: Same filter used in IVS; the manual states clean every 5000 but change every 4 years. My decision: change every year for P1.2

2) Fuel Filter: Both say change every year, so I will change too

3) Oil filter: Both say change with oil change, needless to mention, will be changed!

4) Oil: While Punto says 5W40 Selenia K, IVS suggests a wide variety of grades upper grade is always 40 but 10W40...20W40 seems to be OK. My decision: will change to 10W40

5) Spark Plugs: Punto manual says 30k/2 years, IVS manual says 30k/3 years. Same NGK ZKR7A-10 plugs.

6) Coolant: Punto says Paraflu Up, premixed, HOAT based, both say 2yrs interval. So will change.

7) Gear Oil: Both uses 75W85 GL4, FIAT says 30k/2 years, IVS says 80000/8 years: This is a shocker! Confused!

8) Power steering oil : Both use DEX 3, FIAT says every 2 years, TATA says 100000kms or 10years! CONFUSED.

9) Brake and clutch fluid: Recommendation is to properly bleed and change every 2 years, ASS does a joke of only top up of 100-200mL which is CRIMINAL on their part. Will change, but getting a right person to rightly bleed clutch and brake is difficult. May be Anupam can suggest better.

10) Timing belt: FIAT says 4 years/60000kms, same GATES timing belt and tensioner in IVS, TATA says 100000kms/10 years. CONFUSED BIG TIME.

11) Serpentine/Power Steering belt: FIAT says 4 years, NO MENTION IN TATA manual.

So, what do the gurus suggest? In any case, the basics: oil I will shift to Shell Helix 10W40: I have colleagues in UK who use 10W40 on the same engine 1.2 8V. I am worried for the timing belt part. Should I wait or leave it as it is for some more years? Aux belts, I can get changed form any where but timing belt replacement is a critical job. TATA manual may be downloaded here for reference. I am amazed at the difference.

https://service.tatamotors.com/?q=content/owners-manual

On the sunny side: we can take the best from both and decide: hence the thread. I am planning a partial FNG way, for normal service but for the timing part will rely on the ASS.

View attachment Clapping.gif

View attachment uncontrollable%20laughter.gif
  2. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    @puntophile I've done 60K KM service as mentioned in the service manual. You can check the total expense here

For 60K Km service all belts needs to be changed strictly. If you skip this now then you may come in trouble if any belt breaks due to aging effect.
    I will suggest change oil & belts as recommended. Check break pads and if you can change it after next 5K kms then skip for now.
  3. puntophile

puntophile Amatore

Indirapuram NCR
    @rishike007 I follow your thread religiously. I am in agreement with your views: just that, I wanted to draw special attention to the fact that with SAME engine how two cars service schedules and philosophy is totally different. What are we missing here? I checked each and every spare part code from e-PER, 99rpm and TATA ASS bills: they are identical! So why so much difference in schedules? I am triggering a debate here :D Thanks again, and my brake pads are almost new! Lastly, you availed fantastic labour rates for service, especially timing belt change: here it is 3-5 times that. Full random labor rates. With NO justification and indirect support from FIAT. Spares costs are same everywhere though.
    rishike007 and prabhjot like this.
  4. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Most manufacturer recommends changing gear oil, power steering oil, brake fluid every 2 year but there are exceptions like ford I think does not recommend to change gear oil for lifetime. I have seen old M800's who have changed gear oil only once or twice in 10-15 years. Search internet and you would find many persons claiming not changing power steering oil even once in lifetime of car.
    Gear oil change interval for fiat is 60k kms or 2 years.
    10 years is a lot anything more than 5 years is asking for trouble. Guess fiat is just playing it safe to avoid any warranty claim if it breaks earlier than 90,000 or 1,00,000 interval which is normal interval for timing belts. Belt would be in more stress in punto than in indica due to higher weight.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    puntophile and asimpleson like this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Timing belt change is a must as per suggested interval. Belts are prone to hardening and are even more prone to failures than chains. I would stick to manufacturer specifications in such cases. No chances with engine.
    Turbothinghy, puntophile and prabhjot like this.
  6. puntophile

puntophile Amatore

Indirapuram NCR
    Even with new generation EPDM belts? I believe they are GATES make, and they have come a long way as far as rubber is concerned. And of course, thanks for replying...the service is still a while away, so just seeking suggestions and opinions from experts. What about the aux belts? In my car, I don't see a single crack anywhere. Timing belt I cannot check...as it is shrouded, but, I do appreciate your observation.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    What matters IMO is whether engine is interference type? That much more precaution is needed to prevent mechanical damage either to head or pistons etc. In case where covers are there, no option but to open and check them. Belts that are not critical at worst can cause performance issues or noises and should not cause hardware damage which you know is obvious.

220px-Intake_Valves_Bent_By_Timing_Belt_Failure.jpg
    bent valves
  8. puntophile

puntophile Amatore

Indirapuram NCR
    @asimpleson you are absolutely spot on! There is a reason you have the esperto badge Sir :) :) ! I had tried to find out: the earlier FIRE engines were definitely non interference: the ones with 8V, 999 and 1108 cc, EU variants. The 1172 cc for India does not appear in those records, while the 1368 1.4 16V engine is an interference engine. The EU 1.2 is actually 1242 and not 1172 as in India...but both 8V. Now this means, I need to play safe. I have received NO answer from Ranjangaon.
  9. kiranrv

kiranrv Amatore

Chennai
    Happy to see a Punto 1.2 discussion here.
    I am one such happy man owning this beauty.

In 15 months I did 38000 kms. This post is very helpful , Thanks to @@puntophile

Can anyone suggest or share the 45K service bill with me, With couple of plans coming up I would end up doing 3-4K kms more this month
  10. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    @kiranrv 45K service is normal service like 15K. But its again depends. If breaks pads needs to be replaced then that's a add-on & so on.