1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Pune to Bhuj, Saurashtra and back to Pune

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Aanand, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Aanand

Aanand Amatore

Pune
    Hey folks,
    My wife and I (in our 1.3 MJD Punto, Emotion Pack - Bossa Nova White) along with another couple (in a Toyota Fortuner) are leaving Pune on Wednesday, 07 Dec 11 for this trip.
    We will be attending the Rann Utsav at Bhuj from 09 to 11 Dec.
    Rann Utsav Kutch|Rann Safari in Kutch|Camel Safari in kutch|Rann Utsav in December|Gujarat|India

Thereafter, we plan to tour Saurashtra and be back in Pune on 17 Dec.
    Since this is our first long trip, I request you all for tips for the journey (particularly, related to the Punto).

Other tips for the various destinations in Kutch and in Saurashtra are welcome too.

I will be delighted to meet Punto and Linea owners in any (or all) of these places, so feel free to give your contact details.
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    1. Hope, you are aware of the Gujarat authorities' insistence on yellow vertical sticker on RHS headlamp, although my Linea didn't have them during our trips in 2010/11 and we were not troubled by the GJ authorities.

2. Please check the levels of all the oil/fluids like engine oil, coolant, windshield cleaning fluid, brake/clutch fluid, power steering oil, etc., and top up if required. Carry spare engine oil, coolant and windshield cleaning fluid.

3. Please carry correctly inflated spare wheel with a puncture-repair kit and a portable compressor.

4. Please carry the following: all the tools, torch light, umbrella, mobile charger, navigator, spare fuses, medicines, eatables like biscuits, fruit juice, drinking water, snacks, etc.

5. I always enjoyed my stay at Ginger Hotels, which are located in Surat/Vadodara/Ahmedabad in GJ.

Bon voyage.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Aanand

Aanand Amatore

Pune
    J Ravi,
    Knowing your driving experience, your tips are most welcome indeed.
    Thanks a pile.
    1 person likes this.
  4. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Aanandji,

You'll enjoy the trip to Gujarat & the hospitality of Gujarat. Hospitality of Kutch - Bhuj is even better. Gujarat Roads are excellent & you'll enjoy riving Punto there.

Which all places do you plan to visit in Saurashtra?

Gir Forest Sanctuary? Somnath Temple? Diu ?
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Anand,
    Better you drive to FIAT service and have a general check up.... as its your long journey....
    Do keep the FIAT Service network manual.. helps a lot.
    On my trip from maharashtra(Sangli) to Andhra(Guntur) i had a problem with my AC(In summer) ,Service network manual helped me for which i drove to the Jasper(FIAT) Automobiles ,Guntur..

Happy driving... :)
  6. Aanand

Aanand Amatore

Pune
    Hello VahanPujari,
    Delighted to read your encouraging post.

"You'll enjoy the trip to Gujarat & the hospitality of Gujarat."
    "Gujarat Roads are excellent & you'll enjoy riving Punto there."

(Precisely why we recommended this trip to the couple accompanying us).
    We have very fond memories of having experienced this during a one-year tenure in Jamnagar about 20 years back.
    During the same, we had visited Vadinar, Dwarka, Porbandar, Chorwad, Veraval, Somnath, Gir, Junagadh and, of course, Ahmedabad.
    The coastal road from Dwarka to Veraval is wonderful.
    We will be happy to visit all these places again - except Somnath since the climb is now beyond our capability.

However, we don't have to visit all these places again provided there are better alternatives.
    So, please do recommended other destinations - including interesting (non-political) personalities.
    For instance, we used to enjoy the company of one 'Natu-bhai' Vithalani in Jamnagar.

Also, request let me know of any persons who could be contacted (just) in case of emergencies.

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

"Better you drive to FIAT service and have a general check up"
    "Do keep the FIAT Service network manual."
    Good points. Will do this.
    Thanks Ganges.

"as its your long journey...."
    Yes. Just the distance from Pune to Bhuj is about one thousand kms as per Google maps.
    So, I expect we may end up doing about three thousand kms during this trip.
    Thanks for your good wishes.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

"except Somnath since the climb is now beyond our capability."
    Oops!
    For Somnath read Girnar.
  7. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Well, Junagadh is my hometown. But ironically I spent very very little time there, only during holidays. Hence do not know any personalities there much. In fact, I've yet not stayed overnight at Gir Forest sanctuary though it's very near to Junagadh.

The places to visit, as you know, are Gir Forest & Diu. Others, as you mentioned you've already been to.

And BTW, do not forget to have "Fafda Gathiya" while you're in Saurashtra.:) Very crisp & paper thin - melts in the mouth. I'm sure you know it as you stayed in Jamnagar.
  8. Aanand

Aanand Amatore

Pune
    "...do not forget to have "Fafda Gathiya" while you're in Saurashtra."
    Indeed. We know it well.
    And, also the undhiyu (particularly, in this season).
  9. Aanand

Aanand Amatore

Pune
    Hello Folks,
    Left Pune on 07 Dec 11 and got back to Pune on 16 Dec 11.
    Route: Pune (started at 0900 hrs) - Expressway - Panvel - Belapur - Turbhe - Airoli - Thane (very crowded) - Godbunder - NH 8 - Vapi - Daman - back to NH 8 - Ankleshwar (night halt) - 377 kms drive approx
    Started at 0630 hrs - Golden Bridge (this is very narrow so keep side view mirrors closed) - Bharuch - Vadodara - Expressway (wonderful) - Ahmedabad (Kite museum) - Gandhinagar (Akshardham) - Mehsana - Patan - Takhatpura (Thara) - on to NH 14 - Radhanpur - this is a lovely road to drive - Samakhiali - Bhachau - Bhuj (reached here at 0330 hrs) - 695 kms drive approx
    Parked the car at Bhuj and Reported at the Tourist Office at 0700 hrs for the Rann Utsav...
    1 person likes this.
  10. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    hey anand didnt read ur post earlier. m from morbi, saurashtra. though i will not be your host i welcome you on behalf of all gujaratis. have enjoyed driving my linea on the radhanpur highway. it is almost deserted at most of the times, with very few restaurants. we friends are also planning to visit kutch on the poonam day to enjoy the rann under the full moon. since we havnt planned anything yet i am not sure we will be making it there without any reservations etc. hope you enjoy the stay there.