1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Pune TFIians - Need your advise/suggestion

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by ghodlur, Mar 28, 2015.

1. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Hello TFIians (in particular Punekars),

Need some urgent advise.
    I am embarking on a trip to Mantralayam (AP) in the first week of May 2015. The trip will be for 4 days. I have booked the railway tickets for the onward and return journey but unfortunately only got the sleeper class tickets only. The chances of getting them converted to atleast 3 AC seems remote, thanks to the super efficient IRCTC where tickets gets exhausted in 30 secs of opening. We are 6 adults and 2 children travelling for the trip and travelling sleeper class in May is a nightmare. The only alternative I have so far is to drive down. My wife is totally against me driving for 560 kms or 10 hours at a stretch since I have a function to coordinate later. Now the only solution I can think of is hire a 8 seater Tempo traveller or Tata winger kind of family vehicle with AC since I would be carrying few luggage too (approx 8). If I do this then I would take a slight detour too to visit my home deity in Karnataka.

The idea is to drive down to Pune a day before and start the journey next day to Mantralayam. The queries which I intend to ask is:
    1) What is the best choice for a family vehicle? Would Innova, Tavera fit the bill? or should I opt for tata Winger or Tempo Traveller?
    2) Any references to a good travel agent in Pune preferably in Sinhagad road or Kothrud area? Reliability is of utmost importance. Of course the finance too matters.
    3) Is it a good option to drive to Mantralayam or stick to the usual train journey?
    4) The only advantage I see is that the vehicle will be at our disposal for any city errands.

Kindly provide me with your thought and suggestions.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @ghodlur,
    As far as choice of vehicles is concerned it better be Tavera or a Qualis.o_O So obviously Tavera in times today. I have traveled in a hired Innova on a long route, but it could be exhausting esp. on lengthy ghat sections, which you should check in-case there aren't any on route you are travelling!? Otherwise Innova is good seating wise. Still a Tavera with a full-fledged rear ac would be a better choice. Now all this advice is good for upto five adults and two kids including a hired driver.:facepalm: So obviously you will need a bigger vehicle like a Winger or Tempo Traveler OR MAYBE an AC bus till AP/Karnataka? with some local hiring of an Innova or 2 cars etc. What thinks ye?
    Punekars please comment.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @asimpleson
    Thanks Aseem. You know what Tata Winger is categorized as a luxury family car in the rental market. I was told that they are offered in the range of 17-20 rs per km charges. Unbelievable. At least Tata has succeeded somewhere. Even Innova's for outstation rentals are offered as 6 seater rather than the usual 7 seater.