1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Pune TFIians - Need your advise/suggestion

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by ghodlur, Mar 28, 2015.

1. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Hello TFIians (in particular Punekars),

Need some urgent advise.
    I am embarking on a trip to Mantralayam (AP) in the first week of May 2015. The trip will be for 4 days. I have booked the railway tickets for the onward and return journey but unfortunately only got the sleeper class tickets only. The chances of getting them converted to atleast 3 AC seems remote, thanks to the super efficient IRCTC where tickets gets exhausted in 30 secs of opening. We are 6 adults and 2 children travelling for the trip and travelling sleeper class in May is a nightmare. The only alternative I have so far is to drive down. My wife is totally against me driving for 560 kms or 10 hours at a stretch since I have a function to coordinate later. Now the only solution I can think of is hire a 8 seater Tempo traveller or Tata winger kind of family vehicle with AC since I would be carrying few luggage too (approx 8). If I do this then I would take a slight detour too to visit my home deity in Karnataka.

The idea is to drive down to Pune a day before and start the journey next day to Mantralayam. The queries which I intend to ask is:
    1) What is the best choice for a family vehicle? Would Innova, Tavera fit the bill? or should I opt for tata Winger or Tempo Traveller?
    2) Any references to a good travel agent in Pune preferably in Sinhagad road or Kothrud area? Reliability is of utmost importance. Of course the finance too matters.
    3) Is it a good option to drive to Mantralayam or stick to the usual train journey?
    4) The only advantage I see is that the vehicle will be at our disposal for any city errands.

Kindly provide me with your thought and suggestions.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    As far as choice of vehicles is concerned it better be Tavera or a Qualis.o_O So obviously Tavera in times today. I have traveled in a hired Innova on a long route, but it could be exhausting esp. on lengthy ghat sections, which you should check in-case there aren't any on route you are travelling!? Otherwise Innova is good seating wise. Still a Tavera with a full-fledged rear ac would be a better choice. Now all this advice is good for upto five adults and two kids including a hired driver.:facepalm: So obviously you will need a bigger vehicle like a Winger or Tempo Traveler OR MAYBE an AC bus till AP/Karnataka? with some local hiring of an Innova or 2 cars etc. What thinks ye?
    Punekars please comment.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thanks Aseem. You know what Tata Winger is categorized as a luxury family car in the rental market. I was told that they are offered in the range of 17-20 rs per km charges. Unbelievable. At least Tata has succeeded somewhere. Even Innova's for outstation rentals are offered as 6 seater rather than the usual 7 seater.