1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Puncture Repair Cost

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soundar, Jul 26, 2010.

1. rameshjoshi

rameshjoshi Amatore

Pune
    How much do they charge if I want to check all the 4 tyres for nails, if any? I believe that would need to remove the tyres and then check for any nails right?

Also, if there are no nails, how do you know if there is any puncture? assuming it is not a flat tyre?
  2. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

Prices vary from shop to shop.... but 100-200 for 1 puncture is the average...

If there are no nails, you should have the tyre submerged under water and see for air bubbles suggesting a air leak... Its the procedure all puncture repair shops follow before & after repairing the puncture on a tube..!
  3. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Today my car suffered with first punture after completing 14000 kms. Repair cast was Rs. 50.
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    THE STORY OF MY LINEA'S FIRST PUNCTURE

My Linea had its first puncture on its rear right wheel on 29 Nov 2010 at Jodhpur. I didn't feel anything abnormal. When we had gone to the fort, a friendly cab driver drew my attention and pointed to the wheel, which had less air. I knew, what was in store for me and my Linea. We returned to our abode. There, I replaced the punctured wheel with the spare steel wheel. I saw the villain, the nail on the tyre. Later, I got it repaired at the town at a cost of Rs 50 and got the repaired wheel restored to its orginal position and spare steel wheel went back to the boot. He did it using the fibrous sticky thread and I continued my mega trip. We then drove on to Udaipur>Surat>Pune>Ranjangaon>Pune>Bangalore. Every morning, I used to check all the wheels, they were perfectly alright. But, this morning, it was not so! :shocked

Today, I gave my Linea a well-deserved shampoo bath. At that time, I observed that air in the same repaired wheel was less. This had happened after 9 days after repairing of the first puncture. Immediately after the bath, I took my Linea to our local tyre repairwala and explained the matter in detail. He dismantled the wheel and checked it by immersing in a tub of water. I could see minute bubbles coming out of the same spot, which was repaired at Jodhpur. :shocked Our puncture wala was critical about inserting fibrous sticky thread-like substance for tubeless tyres. He recommended what he called 'tyre patch'. Immediately, he removed tyre from the alloy rim, removed the fibrous substance from the spot, roughened the area, applied a solution at the affected area, pasted a small patch, again affixed 'tyre patch' over the small patch, applied another solution from outside at the affected area, assembled the wheel again, successfully tested it in the tub of water and fitted it back after filling it with air [at 36 psi of air as desired by me]. He then assured me that nothing would happen. By chance, if air leaks from the same spot, he would repair it FOC! He then checked the air pressure in all the five wheels. For the spare wheel, he said, he would keep 40 psi, for which I readily agreed! He charged me Rs 150.
  5. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

Re: THE STORY OF MY LINEA'S FIRST PUNCTURE

Well i am against removing a tubeless tyre from its rim.. its not good for the tyre. :thumbs down (unless extremely necessary, or replacing a tyre)

a tyre patch for a puncture by just 1 nail?? this is new. ::OO
    A patch puncture repair makes the tyre unsafe for high speed/highway runs. NOT SAFE!!

most probably the jodhpur repair was not professional.. he must have made the hole bigger with the round rough rasp or not used the liquid adhesive on the plug.

when removing the tyre, a hydraulic machine (seen at alignment shops) must be used!! (esp for tubeless)
    Simple orthodox tools like a crowbar used to remove tube tyres can damage the tubeless tyre and rim.. (you didn't mention how the tyre was removed)

For a tubeless tyre, its all in the bead that sticks to the rim and maintains the pressure in the tyre (unlike a separate tube in a tyre).
    If that bead is damaged anywhere.. the whole tyre is unsafe & damaged.

I strongly suggest you replace the tyre with the spare. And use the patched tyre for spare only.. (assuming that the spare tyre has not suffered a puncture yet)
    And have your tyre pressure checked at a 'digital gauge' if the repairwalla used the analogue gauge..
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks, Chaos. The local tyre puncture wala had a mechanical tyre remover [not hydraulic]. After removing the air, he kept the wheel in that gadget, pressed the handle, the tyre became loose. He used two small rods to remove the tyre from the alloy rim. My spare tyre is brand new without any puncture. When I suggested to him to swap the tyres in the alloy rim, he assured me that repaired wheel would be fine. The tyre patch was affixed on the inner side. This week-end, I will be visiting Pondicherry in my Linea. Let me drive and see.
  7. girish.kn

girish.kn Amatore

Kasaragod | Udupi
    My punto (2months old, run 3500kms) tyre was flat today and I got Stepney replaced through RSA and punctured at a shop in Mangalore for Rs.150. The tyre was removed from alloy rim using the the appliance/setup (not mechanical). Then he checked for the problem by submerging tyre in water, and found a hole created by nail or so. He fixed this and when complete I could see a patched sticker like area inside tyre and a rubber like small piece from outside. Got the stepney tyre replaced with the punctured tyre.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Buy a repair kit for300 .
    It will have the tools and 5 strips. It works out to be cheaper as each set of 5 strips would cost you about 120 or so.
    1 person likes this.
  9. girish.kn

girish.kn Amatore

Kasaragod | Udupi
    Ok, will do that. Started googling for that! Thanks
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    if you live in blr get the kit from any reliance autozone outlet and you can get the top up strips from almost any puncture repair fellows..
    Always check to see that the strips are of brown color.
    You get fake ones that are black .