1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

PUN-TOURED: THE BEAUTIFUL WESTERN GHATS REVISTED

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by nibedk, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Beautiful pictures. Thanx for the detailed report. It will help many.
    nibedk likes this.
  2. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    The route taken for Bangalore

VALPARAI_BNG.jpg

It was SH78 to start with till we crossed Pollachi. Then we touched NH 209 after crossing Pollachi which is a two laned road. Then it was SH166. A pic below. It wasn’t possible todrive too fast.

P1060838.JPG

After we crossed the ghat roads and crossed Pollachi wife took over and continued driving till we reached Slaem. Once we touched NH7 it was all good again. Speeds were up again and we covered good distances.

P1060844.JPG

Beautiful raods all the way till Salem

P1060848.JPG

Pretty scenic as usual …

P1060851.JPG

Roads were pretty straight and inviting. But as decided at the start of the journey we never crossed 120 kmh. And even if we did the buzzer reminded us.

P1060862.JPG

Some University on the way … err forgot its name

P1060864.JPG

Finally we touched Salem around 12:30 PM

P1060866.JPG

We crossed Salem and stopped by for lunch @ Sarvana Bhavan

P1060867.JPG

We had planned to be @ Hebbal, Bangalore by 2:00 PM max so that we could have had the lunch together @ my friend’s place. Since lunch was already cooked for us we fed our duaghter and shared one mini thali together just that we do not go hungry. It was 1:30 PM when we started again. I took over the driver’s seat again. Wife was a little sleepy and chose to have a quick nap.

I drove @ 120 kmh throughout slowing down only when required. Covered the close to 250 kms in the next 2:30 hours whith average speeds close to 100 kmh.Finally around 4:00 PM we reached Hebbal. Filled our empty stomachs and had a quick one hour nap. We all partied late into the night and slept well after midnight.

We were a little sad though that such a great trip was coming to an end. But the driver in me was happy that still 600 odd kms needed to be covered to get back home.

Stats Valparai – Bangalore

Valparai_BNG.jpg

Start Time: 7:00 AM.
    End Time: 5:00 PM
    Distance Covered: 527.5 kms
    Travel Time (In car): 8:40 hours
    Average Speed: 60.86 km/h
    Total Time: 10:00 hours
    Break Time: 1:20 hours
    Mileage: 18.4 km/l

This being a weekend the traffic was pretty thick throughout. But since we drove not more than 120 kmh we never really had to sow down too much and were in control always. The average speed was a little on the slower side due to ghat roads, quite some distance on the SHs and finally the (in) famous Bangalore traffic.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 16, 2016 ---
    Thanks @Ravi_M for reading through. Yeah thats the idea. Giving back to the TFI community .Whatever we give back is tiny compared to the wealth of information this forum and the esteemed members have. Hats off to all @ Mods who work behind the scenes to provide such a wonderful experience.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    me_at_fiat, Murphy_Fiat and Ravi_M like this.
  3. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Jan 17 2016 - Day 6

We woke up pretty “Aaram Se” and with a heavy heart started getting ready for the trip back. We ate to our fill and started exactly half past 10.

The route taken was the usual NH7 one finally merging in ORR.

BNG_HYD.jpg

HYD – BNG NH7 now seems to be backyard drive only. We got stuck in the traffic for some time till we Taurus had his share of fill. It wasn’t until we crossed Bangalore airport that we started driving with good speeds

P1060870.JPG

The clouds and the mountains … The drive back was pretty boring. This is the only time when destination is important and the journey is immaterial. We just wanted to reach back home

P1060885.JPG

Straights again but weren’t inviting any more. We started discussing for next trip. That seemed more interesting

P1060892.JPG

Windmills again ….

P1060897.JPG

Bling .. Bling … Bling … Got so bored that I started fiddling with various modes in the camera.

P1060899.JPG

Jai Bajrang Bali …

P1060900.JPG

Isckon Temple

P1060901.JPG

Wife drove around 250 kms and close to 2:00 PM we stopped for lunch

P1060906.JPG

I took over after the luch and drove till the end. Some more bling

P1060908.JPG

Closing in on our destination

P1060911.JPG

And the final one

P1060913.JPG

We took a tea break around 5:00 PM close to HYD. Around 7:30 PM we finally reached home.

Stats – Bangalore - Hyderabad

BNG_HYD.jpg

Start Time: 10:30 a.m.
    End Time: 7:20 p.m.
    Distance Covered: 629.8 kms
    Travel Time (In car): 7:36 hours
    Average Speed: 82.87 km/h
    Total Time: 8:50 hours
    Break Time: 1:14 hours
    Mileage: 18.2 km/l

The stats were pretty similar to first day stats between HYD and BNG. Just that a few additional kms within BNG slowed us down a little till we crossed the airport. The average speed and mileage are precariously similar to the earlier stats.

Taurus completed 30 K on the odo just as we entered ORR in Hyderabad. Just calculated the average speed after leaving the distances covered during as part of sighseeing and it came up to 67 kmpl which includes around 200 kms of ghat roads. The speeds seem quite good considering we never crossed 120 km on the odo. The drive was relatively stressless than our other trips.

Well that’s all I have for the last trip we did. Planning on for the next trips. June I will be taking a trip to native and some trip will be planned for sure may be the temple cities of TN( Mahabalipuram, Madurai, Rameshwaram and Kanyakumari or trip to Kerala. Bye for the time being catch you all soon again.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 16, 2016, Original Post Date: Feb 16, 2016 ---
    @amogh. Can you please put this on homepage under Travelogue section?
    me_at_fiat, Ravi_M and King CM like this.
  4. King CM

King CM Amatore

Bangalore
    @nibedk - Was totally glued and curious to know next set of updates. It ended like a movie. After office time yesterday, sat for some more time to read your updates. Nice writeup and lots of patience you got.

- CM
    Ravi_M, nibedk and Murphy_Fiat like this.
  5. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @King CM. Thanks mate for reading through. Patience for writing or traveling? If its travelling then I just need a reason to take my car out. We have been doing road trips since I was in sixth standard. Our trusted old M800 took us at least twice a year between UP and Odisha. Once we did 7 states in an Amby. Those were great times. The travel bug bit me right from my child hood and has continued since then. Did a lot of road trips in US as well but unfortunately was not a part of any forum then so could never write travelgues. After getting a FIAT and joining TFI I have been keeping a track of all travelogues as well as every other small expense on the car. Its a bit time taking but a lot of fun. I ll show it to my grand kids and relive these moments when I grow old.
    Ravi_M likes this.
  6. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    @nibedk, that is one amazing tour you had. Very nice writeup and excellent pics to complement the thread.
    Keep driving and having fun.

Cheers,
    PradeepM
    nibedk likes this.
  7. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ PradeepM. Thanks mate for reading through. The trip was amazing no doubt. Thanks to FIAT who makes amazing cars only to screw up the marketing and sales. Close to 50 hrs of driving and not a single day taken off . Speaks volumes about the enineering that goes in to manufcature such tremendous automotive pieces
  8. praveenthaniparthi

praveenthaniparthi Timido

Hyderabad
    Miyapur, Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks for the excellent travelogue nibedk. I just completed a trip and returned yesterday from Chirala. After going through your detailed write up, driver inside me woke up and wanted to drive it to Kodaikanal and Valparai. Will have to plan and make it realize soon.
    nibedk likes this.
  9. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @praveenthaniparthi. Thanks mate. Valparai is an amazing place. Its now in my go to again list after Kudremukh. For Kodai one day is sufficient if you plane well. For Valparai the best time would be October just after the monsoons.
    Ravi_M and praveenthaniparthi like this.
  10. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    This is a very useful Travelogue @nibedk. Thanx again.

How I wish that someone or a group of experienced members from south of India put together route-maps and other info. for trips to various places in Western Ghats / pilgrim locations / historical locations of south India for trips of 2-3 days / a week / 15 days. This would need lot of digging & coordination and compilation though.

But, this will be very useful for people from other parts of India in planning their trips down-under by FIAT. I, for example, am gathering information for trip in Western Ghats, but don't know if I should go to Karnataka only or to Kerala and TN as well. I am not aware of road conditions. I hope to go there this year after monsoon.

Those located at Chennai / Bengaluru / Hyderabad can make short trips during long week-ends to different places around, but that is not possible for me and others from far-off places. We frequently see queries for such trips, as well as trips to north of India too.

Similar thing may be done for other parts of India - say areas like Goa-Konkan-Mumbai / Gujrat - Rajasthan / Delhi -Punjab-Himachal / UP-Uttaranchal- Bihar / MP-Chchattisgarh / W. Bengal-Odisha -Jharkhand / North-East & Darjiling & Sikkim.

Ravi
    nibedk likes this.