1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Pulling to Left & Severe Vibration in Steering Wheel.

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by drmanubmengi, Mar 24, 2014.

1. hey all,
    I am a proud owner of Punto 1.3 90 HP.....
    My problem with the car started the day i got it from the dealer. After driving about 20 kms only i noticed vibration in the steering wheel & car pulling to left. I immediately called them up & they told me to come for the check up. I went back, they worked on my car for about 3 hours but minimal improvement. I got my car from out of city as there was no dealership in my city at that time. I have done 35k kms + in 14 months & the problem has been increasing. Now that there is a dealership in my city, i have gone to them number of times......every time they give a reason,, sort it out (the reason given by them) but there is no improvement.
    Day before yesterday i had again gone to the workshop where a new guy saw my car.....he told me to get my alloy rims checked out which i got it done today. According to the tyrewala there is absolutely no problem with the alloys however the car is behaving like this because of the Goodyear Tyres which are known to give this kind of problem.
    He told me to replace the tyres with the new one & the problem will go away.
    What should i do? Has anybody suffered from the same problem? How to get it rectified?

Workshop guys seems to have no answer for my problem.

Please help.

Dr. Manu Mengi
    1.3 90 HP
    Chandigarh
  2. vtlreja2

vtlreja2 Amatore

rajkot
    mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    hello manu,
    even my punto was pulling to left from day 1, then i visited to F.A.S.S. they firstly done the balancing and alignment, but no result, only slight improvement, then they done the tyre rotation and problem was solved,

during this whole process i was there to check the changes have actually made or not,

try tyre rotation, might it works.

regards,
  3. GirishRaghu

GirishRaghu Amatore

MH-15 / MH-04
    Thane
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    2 cents from my side -

Even I had this problem, car was pulling to the left and was resolved at the 1st free service itself by wheel alignment and balancing.
    My stock GoodYears lasted for 47K kms and I dont think they are the culprit.

I would suggest to get wheel alignment, balancing, and tyre rotation done form a reliable source; this will hopefully solve the alignment issue.

Coming to the steering, what kind of noise are you getting. Even I had this problem, the steering would produce a nasty sound whenever I would turn left or right; this used to happen even the car was stationary. Faulty steering pads were the culprit; once they got replaced problem vanished.

Hope this helps.
  4. Ahamed Beig

Ahamed Beig Novizio

Bangalore, India
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hello All,

I have little issue with one of the alloy wheel of my Punto diesel. Between 90 and 110 km/hr, I feel little vibration at the steering wheel. There is no vibration below 90 km/hr.
    I checked with the service station. They said, one of the wheel has little bend on the inside. This bend wheel was initially, at the front right side.
    Later I changed it to the rear left side thinking that it could damage the ABS and so on. Even after changing the wheel to rear side, I still feel vibrations at the above mentioned speed.

It has been a year now, that I am using the wheel after I noticed the vibration.
    Please let me know, will this be a major concern or should I change the wheel? Or, is it entirely because of 4.5 years old tyres (apprx 55k km)

Thank you,
    Ahamed Beig
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Dr Manu. I have been using Goodyear GT3 tyres for the past 80,000Km. I have driven on 3 sets of 4 each and I do not think that GT3 are the commonly found culprits since many others have/had a satisfactory experience with these GT3 tyres.

I can offer you some help if you find this appropriate. I am using Linea's 15" steel rims with Goodyear GT3 195/60R15 tyres on my Punto. If you want, we can meet up and you can test my car's tyres and I can have your alloys on my Punto and have a test drive. That way we both can be sure about the tyres or alloys.

Do you happen to be around 32 medical college by the way? I am studying there.