1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

PUC: Frequency and Fines

Discussion in 'Insurance & Loan Reviews' started by vinit, Sep 2, 2015.

1. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    Hi,

I was stopped by a traffic cop today in Mumbai and he asked for car papers. I was not having PUC certificate, as the car is just 7 months old and I was under impression that no PUC is required for new cars for 1 year. However, the cop said that there is no such rule. I checked the RTO website as well, however did not find any such thing there. This incident raised some queries.

1. Are new cars really exmpted from obtaining a PUC certificate for 1 year ?

2. If Yes, then the duration of 1 year is counted from date of registration or date of manufacturing ?

3. Also found out this article in ToI that traffic constables do not have powers to impose fines. Only RTO officers of the rank Asst Sub Inspector have that authority. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ts-without-PUC-papers/articleshow/6253890.cms

4. The article also says that, RTO cannot fine you on the spot for lack of PUC certificate. They can only send a notice to you. One needs to submit the PUC within 8 days after receiving the notice.

I think there is a lot of confusion about traffic rules and how and by whom they are imposed. Fellow members can throw some light on this.
  2. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    @vinit, were you fined by the traffic police?

one quick search on the net gave me this link to delhi gov site:
    http://www.delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/con...ort/Home/Pollution Control/P.U.C. Certificate

which states the following:
    Q5 When does a vehicle require a PUC Certificate?

Ans. After the expiry of period of one year from the date of first registration, every motor vehicle is required to carry a valid PUC Certificate .

Hopefully this is applicable to all states.
  3. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    I remember to have seen through google about a high-court verdict where exemption from PUC certificate is mentioned during the first year from registration. In October 2012, I was stopped on A B road at Malegaon as we were taking a left-turn to Shirdi, where there is a police post. They seem to be more alert to stop vehicle from other states (mainly MP) and fine them. They tried all excuses but we did not budge. My Linea was just 5 months old. We had seat-belts strapped and also all the papers. The constable objected that women are allowed to drive in the city only and not on highways. My wife was driving then. During our next trip, we were to proceed only straight towards Nasik, but police were standing there on the road divider and started blowing whistle and waving the batons, but my wife didn't stop and we just drove on.

I suspect others may also have had faced this particular police post.

I hope you didn't have to pay anything.
  4. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @vinit
    To answer your queries:
    1 & 2. New cars are exempt for a period of 1 year from the date of registration. Please see the rule no 115(7) of Central Motors Vehicle Act 1988 as below:

Please note that the certificate issued depends on the emission readings. If the readings are on higher side then the validity of the certificate is also less.

3 & 4. Please see the below rule 116 of CMVR. In case of non submission of the PUC within stipulated time, the matter will be reported to the relevant authority which may result in the suspension of the RC.

@Ravi_M
    That constable who feels women should not drive on highways should not be employed with the police force at all. You should have noted the constable's badge no and reported to the relevant authorities. Good for you that they just blew the whistles and waved the batons, in some cases on NH3 I have heard they strike the baton the cars in order to stop them from speeding off.
    Ganges and shams like this.
  5. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    @ghodlur: Could you pls share the link for the rule.
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    I dont have a link, but have attached the CMVR document for reference. This according to me is a great handbook.

Attached Files:

limraj likes this.