1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Pro's and con's of after market airfilters.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Dec 24, 2010.

1. I second what Gurjinder said.
    Please stick to stock, if you observe there is wool like attachment to the bottom of the stock air-filter, it actually longer life.
  2. Guys,

First My appologies, Today i went and bought the K & N for 5K+ and had it fitted to my car from Motomall chennai, Did all sort of disconecting the negatives of the battery for resetting the ECU. The Moment i start the car my displeasure started, I didnt like the grunt of the engine at alllll having used to the soft humming sound. I drove till my house, though the engine seems to be breathing well and seems free, i feel the car gets a lot quicker, nevertheless i didnt like the quickness which it gave cos i felt like riding over the engine. I seriously didnt get the confidence of the Tank like feel which i use to get earlier. I was actually worried to revv hard cos after 3000 rpm the sound of the engine was more(with my stock filter i used to rev hard till 3500rpm on 3rd,4th and till 4000rpm on 5th i felt left this feeling).

Came home, took a spanner size 8, opened the airfilter replaced with my OLD geniune Stock Filter Happy now!!

I lost 5450 rs in my 5 mins devils thinking :(. Guys if anyone interested in K & N filter i have an Orginal, with BILL, Brand new one!! PM me i will sell it for 5200 rs. 250 rs is for my penalty :(

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Yes i see a wool like attachment in my stock filter! I had a surprise as well in the airfilter, I saw a BIG Butterfly Fly was sticking to it and dead! i pity it, Imagine the suction power of the engine :D.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  3. @Magnanimousdude,

You made a right decision to revert back to stock filter saving your car from the hardships of minute hard dust/dirt entering the engine bay.
    Like you I too wasted Rs 3800 on a foam filter, but I am not offering it any one as I know it's bad for any car that uses it.

OCTANE Amatore

Guys, I am planning to go for a K&N stock replacement filter for my linea. Now before anyone comes and says a 'NO NO' to this, let me explain my situation. Now I don't know anything about these filters or their maintenance so I need your help. I own a Linea 1.4 petrol bought in Nov 09 and has done 13500 kms till date. I also own an i10 1.2 Kappa2 which I feel is way more powerful than my Linea. I use my i10 alone and Linea when I have my family. Now after driving my i10, driving 1.4 Linea with 4-5 people and enough luggage is actually a pain. While overtaking I actually push the engine to around 5000 RPM or more. Even though the FIRE engine makes a sporty sound at such RPMs I feel that the engine is getting strained a lot. So will adding K & N filter reduce the stress that is felt on the engine? Will there be any improvement in power? I use my car for a maximum of 500 kms a month. I know that k&n cannot filter as good as the stock filter. But in my case engine oil will be changed every 6000kms. So any dust in the engine will be flushed out along with the engine oil without causing a lot damage(my thinking). Has anyone @ TFI tried out k&n on a 1.4 petrol? How will this affect FE? I don't want to fiddle with the FE of my Linea. I once had the FE of my linea drop due to some reason but then became alright later. And what about the maintenance of this filter? At what intervals should I clean this and from where can I get it done? Whats this MAF sensor getting clogged? Why should we reset the ECU if we are changing an airfilter? When I searched teambhp there were people who did like using K&N for their cars. But @ TFI I find many are against it. Anyway please share your thoughts on this.
  5. My thought is to change the airfilter change at every 5K Kms,rather than to induce the dust in the the engine.
    May be you can switch to Iridium plugs first to see if it makes a difference ?Honestly I would not compare a car driven alone to a car driven with luggage and full capacity.That is not a fair comparison.

OCTANE Amatore

@sat-chit-ananda: i know that its not fair to compare a car thats driven alone to a car thats fully loaded. But i was just explaining my situation. Infact when i drive my Linea alone i dont feel it very under powered. 1.4 FIRE actually offers a good combination of performance and mileage. Difference in mileage between my Linea and i10 is just 2kmpl. But when fully loaded linea does feel under powered. Thats why i was looking for k & n. Has anyone at tfi tried k & n on a 1.4 petrol?
  7. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
    installed K&N conical filter in my GP MJD

jus drove 38 kms on this filter
    pros- car fills lot Quicker than before
    "Ic" showing magical figures
    increase in In gear acceleration
    increased4Kmpl difference in my daily route :wow

cons-air sucking noise around 4k RPM with windows down
    lil humming noise in cabin with windows up :rolleyes:
    1 person likes this.
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

@ Aniket, make sure you dont oil the K&N filter too much as i told u on FB, also if possible get a good heat resistant enclosure fabricated and connect the hanging pipe to that enclosure.
    it will be a very good CAI.
  9. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
    yup its staGE 2
  10. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Is it significantly better than a stock replacement K&N filter?

Waheguru Waheguru.