1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Pro's and con's of after market airfilters.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Pippercross foam filter allows the minute dust into intake.

N1 Engineering guy did not send me the Foam dirt catching additive,when inquired i got reply as "it's not required for Indian conditions" but he did send me one though bit later.

As of now , I have add one more layer of foam with additive in it but , earlier fun of driving is reduced, although engine seem to be running little smoother.

IMAG0126.jpg

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

IMAG0129.jpg

IMAG0130.jpg

IMAG0131.jpg

IMAG0132.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. Verdict in out on Foam Filter's don't ever use them, they are poor in filtration compared to HEPA(Paper) filters although they may provide little better airflow.

I don't want to spend my time money in experimenting with K&N or any other cotton gauze filters, they seem to be having bigger pores than foam and visible to naked eye.

-Sat
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Sat, i think it should be - don't ever use pipercross foam filters .
    We can't apply the same yardstick to all foam filters as such.

Because there are much better foam filters available. Like UNI .

Gurjinder
  4. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I would rather prefer cold air intakes by bmc and all, if one is looking for imp. in performance, as for the pipercross one better to put a cross on it
  5. Yes you may be right, Scorpio uses a ceramic and PU foam layers not HEPA,may be the quality is does matter.

-Sat
  6. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    K&N for Punto 1.3 MJD E

Can a K&N filter be installed in the diesel punto? Is it advisable?

If yes, how much it costs and how would it affect the efficiency and performance? What would be its cost?

Also, how much would it cost and from where can I get one installed in NCR?

I plan to install one after the 5K service interval. And plan to install a Race Chip after 15k service.

All the gurus, Kindly suggest :)
  7. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Costs around 5k and yes it does have advantages but not very significant(stock replacement), a gain of not more than 5%.
    I am usin one with a race chip and it certainly increases the breathing efficiency and the car feels slightly less strained above 3k rpm.

Only a stock replacement is advisable for the diesels cars

Just my POV
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  8. Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2011
  9. Guys,

Pls. Suggest me, I am owning Punto 1.3 Diesel, I am on a verge to go for K & N filter, I heard numerous things about it both Positives and negatives. The Thing which squeals my head is "when in Monsoon and sometimes the K & N tends to absorb water and OIL" which makes the MAF sensor in Punto clog with OIL, I read in forum about the same, and was complaining about OIL clog in MAF sensor region and literally the car lost its performance by our fellow TFI.(But not many complaining about the OIL absorbing one, i hope most of the fellow TFI and BhPians uses the K & N)

it was said that use K & N filters in the cities where dust is NOT that much and K & N filters dosent filter well. I am from chennai. I am now confused,i see a lot of Dust

Can someone throw somelight on this?? People here will have to make a decision as tomorrow i was planing to buy and asked the vendor to get it, incase i have to ignore it i need a concrete and geniune reason.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Dude, save the bucks you're gonna spend on a K&N. Instead ensure air filter changes atleast every 7500km's. The stock filter won't get too clogged and would flow as well as it is designed to.

Concrete reasons - You're living in India. That's concrete reason enough not to go for a filter whose filtration capability is doubted the world over.

In any case, just a simple air filter swap will only be a placebo. Unless you go for some real tuning( Read professional remaps).

Cheers.