1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Pro's and con's of after market airfilters.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Dec 24, 2010.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Which oil are you referring to being pulled up on the filter foam?

Gurjinder.
  2. Oil used in the oiled foam filter.
    -Sat
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
  3. Folks,

Today I drove the car to office,i could notice it's breathing lot free than what it used to be, I am not missing my patrol fueled WagonR anymore in low revs.
    Complete absence of black smoke in driving conditions.

-Sat
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Good to hear that.

But, keep an eye on the filter from time to time. On its cleanliness and physical integrity.

And keep an eagle eye on whether its filtering dust completely or to the level of stock filter or not. Changing engine oil is easy; cleaning dusty turbo blades isn't.

Gurjinder.
  5. Last three days , I have not found any visible dust.
    -Sat
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    i am using K&N filter since 6 years on my nother car. when the filter is brand new the filteration is very good. in india in dusty environment the filter gets clogged very soon. so all the claims from K&N goes void.

There is noticable difference in performance after installing the replacement types air filter. the car revvs more freely and doesnt feel like choked up.

however there is one major issue. the oil gets sucked in the throttle body initially till it dries off. this can cause issues with MAF sensors. secondly the filteration capability of K&N filter is very bad.
    So you throttle body gets clogged with dirt every now and then. so instead of going to service station to clean it and pay 500 bucks i do it myself every now and then.

in diesels where the suction power is greater than a petrol i think stock airfilter should do a proper duty too.
  7. I read from the product information page, it's a handmade filter from Nottingham England.
    -Sat
  8. Filtration is excellent so far, i avoided K&N for the same reason.
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    one good air filters that i think is good for indian conditions is the Cosworth air filters. no oiling and good filteration. its safe to go for replacement type air filters always.
  10. Can you please give more details.
    -Sat