1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Project - S10 SUPER SPORT

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by Nimish antony, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    Chapter 3 – Owning a masterpiece

S10 is a legend that lives through the veins of every fiat fan. The more I was engrossed about the car was because it was launched during the end of my college days. Got to see reviews about the car being the fastest hatch in the Indian market with a limited edition badge and 100 HP which was unheard in that era. The only other sedan to have 100 Horses was the Honda City 1.5. It was always a long distant dream to own one and it came to reality after a wait of 9 years. Some dreams take time to reach but when it reaches you it’s overwhelming. Living with a dream accomplished is an awesome experience.

The car is a true fiat. Build like a tank with an awesome suspension with a feeling of safety prevails. The car is a true sports breed with sportiness in every inch crafted. Acceleration to 100 is as quick to 11.5 seconds. That’s pretty good for a company stock car by any means. The dyno gave us a 96 BHP at crank which can be upgraded up to 160BHP with performance tuning of different levels. A big letdown is the brakes of the car, It just is not enough for the power it has been given. Performance brakes are available but for a price. Different aftermarket braking modules have been developed which will be implemented on the project car.

The notice everywhere you go tag follows you in the S10. Be it the local market to the new mall in town. The glances and stares just don’t tend to stop at the canary yellow even in this era where supercars rule the road in India. People who know the S10 come with questions to you and you can find the new kids noting the sachin signature and commenting on it. Some people call it the Yellow Palio and I have even been asked by garages that where I got it painted. I take time to explain to them what the yellow guy is all about.
    It’s very much a normal car for daily drive if you don’t mind the running costs. There is a good commanding driving position, good gear ratios, decent clutch and a gem of an engine. The motor tends to be thirsty in the city but gives you the pleasure once the signal goes green. Other cars take time to pass by once you decide to floor the accelerator. Its best enjoyed at signal to signal where people glance at you in a flying palio. It’s not that you drive as a hooligan but the car is programmed to move with the acceleration tap. I could notice the stage faces giving me glances on their faces that meant what is this guy doing with a PALIO. Little does he know that the 1.6 has the power to weight ratio to leave many of the latest road gadgets to shame.

A used 1.6 comes at a dirt price starting from 60 k that can go up to 3lakh depending on the condition of the car. I would not recommend a badly abused car which comes too cheap. Restoration is not an easy process as there are a very few who know the mechanicals of the Fiat engine. The toughest part is the electrical of the car which fiat has incorporated space ship technology. If the wires have been cut and the car has electrical issues just stay away from such a car. Most of the cars have been cared for and its preferable to get one from a fellow enthusiast even though it might commend a high price. The reasons are it requires sound technical knowledge, spares, dedication, a workshop that can work on with you and of course the budget which you plan to build up..

The most important thing that has to be looked into when going for a used S10 is to make sure that the engine does not heat up and has all the mechanicals working. Fixing it can be a tiresome job. Preferably change the timing kit at the time of purchase of a used car. The kit includes a timing chain, idler bearing and tensioner. A change in the MC/SC and clutch would make an average car trouble free for a long time. Preferably stick to the NGK spark plugs as the cars ECU might not recognize the firing of the new generation iridium or platinum plugs and it’s based on advice from counter owners its preferable to stick to the stock for better drivability and performance

Synthetic oil with performance filters marks a huge difference with in a stock car making it a lot smoother revving machine. A Free flow exhaust adds a note and makes a huge difference in the drive. I would recommend it as a must since it makes a statement on road. The note of some FFE is so addictive that I come back home from work tired and exhausted and occasionally go for a beer. Its just to keep your vitals relaxed.
    After the S10 has come I just take it out for a drive with and the exhaust note brings me back home fresh and energized. It’s what caffeine does in red bull so does a FFE does in an S10. If you wonder why Sebastian Vettel constantly wins... I would say because the RED Bull has got a car with wings. So if its wings that you need then go for a FFE, performances filter with synthetic oil. It’s the stage one mods a normal 1.6 would need.

The next chapter will be in detail of the parts collection, cost and different parameters that where looked into while purchase. It would assist a fellow enthusiast before he starts to dream S10.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2012
    11 people like this.
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I read it like poetry and it served me like a encyclopedia. Very educative article for those who are not familiar with S10.
  3. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    The primary of the article is to impart the knowledge I have gained through years of following the s10 and talks with outside forum gurus and technically sound owners who have helped me in preparing my thread.

1 person likes this.
  4. Congrats and best wishes! I am following this thread closely.

It is sad that not many know about mighty s10. Once while washing my car in local water service station, a s10 getting cleaned there with its owner away. That careless guy broken palio's fuel lid. I got pissed off and fought with him. He was trying to paste it with feviquick. He dented a person-out-of-500's heart so badly. I waited for some time to let it's owner know. But, he/she never turned up for longtime. I left that place and never went there with my car again.

One request from my side - please give more technical detail while narrating mods.
  5. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    i did not go too technical because there are a lot of non tech guys who would be following the thread. Tech details and picz will follow in the days to come.

- - - Merged Post - - -

DSCN1946.JPG The OE Fiat 4 point check

- - - Merged Post - - -

DSCN1949.JPG THE LE number badge on the left door
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    DSCN1947.JPG OE head unit. S10 special

- - - Merged Post - - -

DSCN1952.JPG door sill

- - - Merged Post - - -

DSCN1960.JPG C pillar badge and boot number badge
    7 people like this.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Wonderful thread. Rated 5 stars. :D

I have heard from people saying that the Lineas Rotors can be fixed on the Palios for better braking performance. You can think on that line too.
  8. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    Ramjn thats news to me. But if there is an option it will be definitely be looked into.
    Was thinking about Slotted Rotors or Drilled Rotors using the stock ones.
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Check with teky on this. He was planning for this upgrade on his GTX. I have heard that few in Chennai have done this replacement.
  10. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Nimish hats off to the previous owner :clap. The car is so well maintained. I didn't expect this much when you said that the car is well maintained. See how clean the door pad fabric is. Hope you didn't do anything special.
    1 person likes this.