1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Project Linea T-Jet Sport : Cruise Control now active!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Rajan, with all your DIYs, I somehow believed that you were an engineer. Knowing that you're not - hats off to you mate. Would like to meet you sometime. Will give you a ping if I'm to visit Bangalore. Alternately, if you're visiting Mumbai or surroundings, please pm me a little in advance.
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks for the kind words buddy. Wanted to be an engineer when I was a kid, but circumstances did not permit. So ended up doing a degree in commerce instead. As I grew older, I realized that I do not have to go to college and get a degree to acquire knowledge. So the self learning started and I try to understand how things work. I am slowly getting better at it, but still have a long way to go. Thanks again.

Due to a severe and aggressive attack of Periodontitis I have had to undergo a major gum surgery yesterday and now have 15 sutures in my gums. It hurts like hell. So decided to get going with something to keep my mind away from focussing on the pain and discomfort. Here is the outcome:

DSC00025.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00029.jpg

DSC00032.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

Rajan
    16 people like this.
  3. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Hays thats a nice job done. This CF vinyl is available at very cheaper rates in Pune.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  4. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Quite subtle and quite cool :) Well done !
  5. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Im thinking you had to remove each of the panels from their place to wrap them in vinyl. Now my question is are the control switches on the steering removable easily? :confused: They look like they click into their slot but im not sure.
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    No buddy. Except the fuse panel cover and the power window switch covers, the rest was done in place. Removing the fuse panel is easy and needs no explanation. The power windows switch panels are also pretty straight forward. The front door panels have a notch for inserting a small flat screw driver tip and prising open. The rear door switch panels have no notch, but can still be prised up. Just remember to be gentle. Once pried out of the recess they sit it, it is just a matter of disconnecting the power supply clips.

The dashboard switch panel, the chrome strip above that and the steering switch controls were done in place. Apply vinyl of choice, making sure the piece is bigger than the component to be covered. Stick one end and then while applying heat with a heat gun gently stretch the film and cover entire panel, making sure there are no air bubbles. Then use a old credit card or any plastic card and work the outside edges of the panel into the grooves, applying heat as needed. Then take a small sharp knife and cut the excess from the outside edges very carefully. Try not to cut and make scratches to the plastic underneath.

Once you have done the outside edges, apply some heat the gently rub the vinyl to identify the inside areas. One you can see the contour of the inside area, go to work with your knife, starting at one corner and working your way along the inside edge. Remove the excess film from inside and you are done.

Hope this helps,

Rajan
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Thanks, I know the rest are kinda removable, Including the silver strip on the dash board (with the added risk of breaking it's clicks on the back) but was not sure about the switches on the steering. Thanks for clarifying.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Guys,

The process has started. Got half way through today, when it got dark and started to rain. So, I have no idea if what I am trying to do is going to be successful. Wish me luck, I need as much as I can get.

DSC00042.JPG

DSC00044.JPG

DSC00046.JPG

DSC00045.JPG

I have held back long enough, so here is what I am trying to do :D

CC.jpg

Last picture courtesy mwas

Rajan

All research credit goes to Google. Thanks.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
    10 people like this.
  9. venka

venka BANNED

Project - Linea T-Jet Sport

Hope to see the successful end result soon... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2 people like this.
  10. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Wish you the best to come out successful with your project. :)
    1 person likes this.