1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Project Linea T-Jet Sport : Cruise Control now active!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Jan 29, 2013.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Experiment not fully successful - DIY successful :D

The contraption I was working on goes like this:

Take a container big enough to fit the battery operated pump in. Drill a hole an fit a tubeless tyre valve in such a way that when the pump is placed inside the box, connected to the valve and started, it should pump the air inside the container out. Now if, we close the lid and start the pump, it would act as a vacuum pump and create a vacuum inside the container.

Check this video for details: (All credits to the original creator of the Video)

Now, if the other end of the pipe is connected to another airtight container, with holes drilled on the lid, the component to be wrapped is placed on the lid and then if heated vinyl is applied to the part, covering all the holes, the vacuum should suck the vinyl and the outside atmospheric pressure should make the task of applying even pressure on entire surface area of the part easy. All this is theory.

The only catch was, I could not find a container big enough to accommodate the compressor, with an airtight lid. I did manage to get one container that was big enough, coaxed the missus to allow me to use it ( I asked if I could use the pressure cooker, but when I told I will be drilling holes in the lid, I was met with stony silence and a piercing stare :D ) and created the contraption. However, no matter what I tried, I was unable to get an airtight seal on the lid. So, though the contraption worked, it was only creating a partial vacuum, too weak to be effective.

So, I just went ahead and wrapped all the four power window switch panels with black carbon fibre vinyl, the traditional way using a heat gun. I am quite satisfied with the outcome. Now too dark to get any decent pictures. Will post some pictures tomorrow.

Rajan
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. jet

jet Timido

bangalore
    i know what are you planning to add as i saw your query in other forum
    i am not going reveal so that not to spoil your surprise :)

Good Luck with this mod

1 person likes this.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks buddy. It is not really a surprise. There are some members here who seem to believe that anything I post is referring to them. They seem to believe that I have nothing else to do, but think about them all the time and find new ways to poke fun at or belittle them. Such members are waiting to see my project fail, so they can have a nice laugh at my expense. I just do not want to share details here, before I actually try.

But trust me, even if the attempt fails, I will still be posting here. At least there are few other members who appreciate an effort to do something and do not really judge you by your failures.

Thanks again for the wishes.

Rajan
    10 people like this.
  4. Re: Project - Linea T-Jet Sport

Dont be disheartened Mr.Rajan, this is just a public forum where some people appreciate while others dont, this is how it works.
    Your passion lies inside the car, you are the DIY expert here, with your age and experience on your side you make this forum a learning ground for novices who are willing to experiment with their car..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    2 people like this.
  5. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Apologies. for Intrusion.

Pathcyboy, can you briefly explain ?

What is DIY here. I read few pages but could not understand.just want to learn.

I am video blocked,in a drill ship now.
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks for the encouragement. I am no expert. Just learning and trying to share my failures and successes here.

Jaydev, the plan is to do most of the mods discussed in the opening posts myself. As for that video, it is an experiment from the net, which I tried to replicate with limited success. As for the other mod that I am working on and not sharing complete details, you know pretty soon. You see the problem is, I am not an engineer and cannot explain in technical terms. I am just another average joe, with a nice car that I use like any other average car. When I have some time, I like to do something to my car - mostly functional and some aesthetic - Hope you agree that it would qualify as DIY.

Thanks,

Rajan
    3 people like this.
  7. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    But I am still curious what is that you are up to concenred with low pressure and compressor?
    I dont want you to reveal secret.but what is that experiment with ?

Even I am not an engineer but just a 10th passout.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Jayadev,

You are confusing two things together. The experiment with using a tyre inflator as a vacuum pump is to help apply vinyl film to small components.

The other mod is something totally unrelated.

Rajan
  9. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Ha,Now I get it. Thanks for the reply,feeling much relieved.

All the best for your DIY.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I never realized that my DIY was causing so much stress for you. Sorry about that. Glad you are feeling relieved now.

Rajan
    4 people like this.