1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Project Linea T-Jet Sport : Cruise Control now active!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Jan 29, 2013.

1. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    anyone with a running / working cc on a 1.3 mjd pls?
  2. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I don't know whether you people are aware of the fact that the accelerator potentiometer has two parallel potentiometer, one is the main and the other is for safety.

Well can anybody explain the difference in maps between the driver's wish and the inverse driver's wish?

'PSYCHO MANIAC MIND' can sure establish a link between the above two ;)
  3. Loucon

Loucon

Bengaluru
  4. freewheeler

freewheeler Timido

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    This amazing thread went silent. The suspense generated by all the determined folks to get CC on the 1.3 MJD was just too much. I wanted to kickstart this project in my car and landed here. Friends if you can post the latest that would be great and also why some members feel it is impossible to get this working on the 1.3 MJD.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    It is impossible because the ECU in MJD does not support the CC. With the new Linea, Fiat has provided CC only on the Emotion variant and I am not sure if CC can be done on the Active/Dynamic variants too.
  6. amolraut

amolraut Timido

Mumbai
    Automation with help of PLC may help
    If ECU not supporting
    you guys will need a Programmable logic controller having analog Input & Output
    Accelerator input (potentiometer) to PLC. This will have to be taken in Parallel connection with ECU.
    Or even better RPM meter input to PLC.
    This analog input will be converted into digital value.
    Custom logic program to work this data. This will include generate analog output which will be later connected back to accelerator parallel .One will need prior knowledge of programming

You guys can search for PLC like Unitronics

Drawback of this process :-
    1. Cost incurred will not justify. This PLC cost will end in between 30-40 K (What I use in my workplace for automation machine)
    2. It will take space. PLC module, Relays, few messy wiring
    3. If there is no input to ECU for Braking/clutch , Cruise control off with braking may not work. or one will have to add one more sensor to sense braking

Can it be done? Yes.
    Is it recommended? Looking at cost incurred/Time required then strictly no

If fiat provide new ECU with cruise control in future then buying new ECU will be best option

You can ask me about PLC, automation etc. I am newbie when it comes to Cars
    PradeepM likes this.
  7. V. K. Pasupathy

V. K. Pasupathy Amatore

Karur, Tamil Nadu, India
    Karur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi all. I have been going through this thread for sometime now, only to note that this thread has gone inactive for a long time, abruptly. While I am unable to find any conclusions to the contrary to availability of CC functionality in MJD, I could see @ramjn concluding so and had even sold the CC stalk he purchased.

I would like to request all the members that the kind of effort that has gone into this project - mostly by Mr.Rajan @PatchyBoy should not go in vain. Wish someone revive the project of installing CC for MJD. I assure my support and in fact I am not able to control my urge to try something in line of Mr. Rajan. Hope Mr. Rajan turns active again and I assure my support wherever possible to complete the project - after all it is his brain-child, at least in India - and if successful, will add another feather in his cap.

Let me try to set the ball rolling by initiating a small suggestion in this regard: Instead of buying a CC stalk for the testing, considering the fact the same is relatively expensive vis-a-vis uncertainty over the project, I feel using a DIY switch, that would provide 36-40mA pulse to the ECU, (being the analog signal) to the respective pins that implements the CC function could be handy and put more members in action on this project. A crude diagram, involving only a small metal plate, a resistor and toggle metal contacts (using spring or diaphragm) to send signals to ECU, like the one below :
    Digram.jpg

P.S : Though I am a graduate in Physics, I haven't done well in electronics even in my college days;) and I have started -rather re-started after blanking off completely - studying the basics now. If my idea sounds trivial to the Electronics pundits (I could see a lot here), kindly ignore the suggestion.
    ramjn and krishna01 like this.
  8. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    @V. K. Pasupathy - I would suggest that you should not try anything with DIY switches to play with the ECU. My concern is that you shouldn't end up frying up the board which would become huge burden on you.

Now, why did we conclude that CC was not possible in MJD? All Pre 2014 ECU's in MJD's are different and that does not come with the board meant for the CC. So, it is more of Hardware issue. Unless you are ready to replace the ECU, CC will not be possible with the pre-2014 MJD's.
  9. V. K. Pasupathy

V. K. Pasupathy Amatore

Karur, Tamil Nadu, India
    Karur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ramjn Appreciate your reply. I agree DIY board/switch could be risky to ECU and I may not dare to do, at least after your advice. Anyway I'm a interested now on this and am going to make a study and gain some academic knowledge, even if it does not result in anything fruitful.
    ramjn likes this.
  10. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3