1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Project Linea T-Jet Sport : Cruise Control now active!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Jan 29, 2013.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Harish, I did think about that approach too.

Firstly, one loses the weight savings and the resultant fuel savings ( might be a 0.1% improvement, but improvement nevertheless :D ). Those capacitors need to be connected in series - 2.7 * 6 = 16.2 V. Recommended 80% charge to prolong durability, so will need at least 12 V charge.

Actually, one does not need both the solar panel and the LiFePO4 battery. Either one should suffice to keep the capacitor charged during idle periods. Only the solar panel already gives $40 savings. Living in the tropics ensures we get ample sunlight to do the job.

So, bottom line, sorry you are not getting $10 :D

Rajan
    3 people like this.
  2. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    image.jpg Ok free consultation ;)

I know you have ABS that can be moulded into variety of shapes and its tough as well. So once you will procure the material, I suppose you will make a good contraption out of ABS and make it safe for the car as well, but major thingy is using the right gauge wires, else the short burst of energy might burn the connectors.

OT : 2 friends and me used to make and sell diode lights connected to capacitors back in late 80's during Ganesh Chaturthi... We friends Called it disco lights !! And used to make good pocket money to buy Electronics for You mag
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    3 people like this.
  3. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    @Rajan, ^^ technology is futuristic and its application is vast, hope FIAT awards you the most "courageous inventor" award to you.

Recently a college girl won the award for charging mobile in less than 20-30seconds, I think she based her technology on this.

Otherwise, I am interested to understand the trickle charger concept with solar and for apartment dwellers how it will help ? As we park in gloomy basements without proper lighting !!
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Cubbie - That is where the LiFePO4 battery comes in. There are 2 options - either use a solar panel to trickle charge, provided you park the car in places with sunlight. Or use a LiFePO4 battery, which gets charged by the alternator when the car is running and keeps the super capacitors charged when the car is parked. Having both might be an overkill, but would be failsafe. Just the solar panel when the car is parked in a dark basement after sunset may not help keep the capacitors charged for an early morning start.

That said, it is possible to have a wall charger setup, which will charge these supercapacitors in less than a minute. It is still early days buddy. Will keep the forum updated with my findings.

Also, these capacitors are available for approx $10 a piece for an order of 25 or more. If anyone else is interested, we can do a group buy.

Rajan
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    2 people like this.
  5. Fiat-Yamaha

Fiat-Yamaha Superiore

Bangalore
    Rajan sir
    As per the video we won't able to use music system for long time...means people like me with ICE setup cannot go for this rite?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Yes. If you are going to be using the ICE for extended periods WITHOUT the engine running, then this is not for you. When the engine is running, everything gets power from the alternator.

Rajan
  7. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    @ Rajan, I am in need of an invention and this is to do with my satellite receiver and my internet routers.

every time the power goes and DG's kick in there is a 15-30 seconds of delay and once power is back, there is a slight fluctuation which again reboots my satellite receiver but routers doesn't get affected.

I will check power input, but believe it will be approx 9-12volts and some 1-2 amp at at the max.

for this i want to use the concept and build a power backup for 2 mins at the minimum... Interested to understand how to the standby power and what components are needed for this design and finally cost of the same.. Plus I believe this will give flawless power as it capacitor would act as a filter too ... Your inputs pls?
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I assume you are taking about the set-top box? Why don't you try an inexpensive 600 va UPS? That should easily give you 15 minutes back up.

Rajan
  9. APC back ups 650 va,working fine since 7 years.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    Thanks for UPS suggestion, I thought about it, but it will occupy space which I don't have in my T.V stand plus both my equip nets are paced far apart, hence have to invest in 2 UPS, which again will mean high cost, if capacitor technology can work and take less space or can be concealed then I would like to try it... May be once u have the parts u can do a small experiment for me ?