1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Project Linea T-Jet Sport : Cruise Control now active!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Jan 29, 2013.

1. saugatchandra

saugatchandra Novizio

Navi Mumbai
    I believe that all BS4 compliant MJD engines are now coming with the lamda sensor.
    Mine being a BS3 model does not have this sensor, but this should not be a bother to us for the cc, assuming everything else is same.
    1 person likes this.
  2. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Yup. There should not be issues with the presence or absence of lambda sensor for the CC. I was just trying to figure out the difference between the pins of 90 hp and linea that's all. so its now sure that both the linea mjd and the 90 hp punto are similar with respect to the pinout and ecu wiring. Just was going through the posts from the beginning and from bbllaazzee's post (link) i think we too need to think out of the box. So, starting the research from another angle......
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  3. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Rajan, was going through cruise control in "how stuff works" and found this. So, now you have cruise control why not make it "adaptive"? If this can be of any help?
    1 person likes this.
  4. bala.spak

bala.spak Timido

Pune
    Hi Sathish,

Please try this..

CC Test conn.jpg

Do this connection and test drive it....

Bala.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Put the toggle switch on when you start the car and push and hold the push on button (Connected to 21) for a few sec and release and see your cruise works or not..

- - - Merged Post - - -

Sathish,
    try to get Relimate female connector pins. Its having different size depends on amperage pass. you can check with the length and width and choose correct one. most of the elctronic spare parts shop does have these connectors. Get this and crimp it with your wires

Bala
    1 person likes this.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Adaptive CC seems too much dependency on technology. Lets see. I am sure it is doable.

Couple of times in the recent past, I have seen "Airbag faliure" messages in the car on cold start after an idle weekend. Looks like my battery is on the way to giving up the ghost. In the mean time, I am wondering if the car really needs a 15 kg Lead-Acid battery. Is there a better alternate ;)

Rajan
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Time for the next project. I have been seeing "Airbag Failure" messages on the MID, especially on Monday mornings after a weekend holed up at home. The cold voltage reads between 10.2 V to 11.5 V. I have not had any cranking issues, but have observed that the car takes a bit more time to start than before. Classic symptoms of a battery getting ready to hang up it's socks. So the research for a replacement started.

Being myself, I did not restrict myself to searching just for a "Replacement Battery", but also looked for a "Battery replacement" - something in place of a battery. This search led me to Super Capacitors. I found a lot of information and am now theoretically convinced that this is doable. But why Capacitors in place of batteries?

Positives

• Charges much faster than the regular Lead Acid battery
    • Virtually zero maintenance - no corrosion, no top ups
    • Has a 500,000 charge - discharge cycle
    • Done correctly, can last 100 years - longer than me, the car's engine and no more battery replacement - ever
    • Weighs a fraction of the traditional battery - who doesn't want weight reduction? :D

Negatives

• Costs more - but not so much that it is a deterrent
    • Complicated initial set-up
    • Discharges faster than a regular battery. Left idle for a week, the car most probably will not start

So, if I am able to address all these negatives, then I believe this is doable. The initial set up is a one time thing. Using a solar panel to trickle charge the set up or using an additional LiFePO4 battery as a backup or both, should help overcome the discharge issue

So, how much will this set up cost? Here is a breakdown of components

6 x 2.7v 350F Super capacitors - US $ 12 each = $ 72
    12 V 4200mAh 4S2P 30C LiFePo4 Pack = $ 40
    12 1.8-Watt Solar Battery Maintainer = $ 20
    Super Capacitor Bank charge balancer circuit = $ 8

Total cost = $140 + Shipping cost $ 60 = $ 200 (approx. 12000 INR). That is a one time investment for the rest of the life of the car. Don't believe me? Watch this:

Electronics gurus in the forum, please share your thoughts.

Rajan
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    8 people like this.
  7. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
    Rajan sir, this warrants for a new thread, wish you all the best sir!!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks for the wishes Channa. This thread was meant to be my place to report all the innovations I attempt :D

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  9. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    Rajan, 7gun salute !!
    My 2 cents, can't you use your existing battery to charge these monster caps? The max voltage that it might need would be approx 2.5v to 5v ? If my mechatronics is correct , we should end up reusing the battery till it can be buried....or tying up can be used on enemies leg as dead weight and dropping into the sea lol !!

and the above setup will save you $60 straightaway, ok ok these days I don't accept thanks, you can give me $10 buck for this idea lol.
  10. bins

bins Amatore

Bangalore
    Oh boy!
    I am a fan of you. :)