1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Project Linea T-Jet Sport : Cruise Control now active!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Jan 29, 2013.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The dashboard is painted from the factory itself. A while ago we had a member who reported that the beige paint peeled off when the showroom guys removed the factory protection plastic. The dealer painted the dashboard with a certain dashboard paint and all was well.

So two things : First, the dashboard can be painted. Second, if you cover it with vinyl and remove it later, i'm not sure how the underlying paint would hold up. It's not the toughest.

I think your next plan of Google attack would be - Dashboard Painting :)

Alcantara roofliner + steering wrap = Win win. But sounds complicated.

Cheers.
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks Gurjinder. I am slowly starting to veer towards Alcantara. The more I read about it, the more I like it. The bloody thing is more expensive than real leather, but I have only one car and I get to do it up only once. Just a matter of somehow convincing my wife :D

Rajan
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Do it. Linea + Alcantara in the interior = Match made in Heaven.

scared0016.gif
    1 person likes this.
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    BTW, are the steering wrap and gear boot that come with the car real leather? Looks and feels more like pleather to me :D

Alcantara seems to quite difficult to source. Their website does list one dealer in Pune, with whom I need to get in touch with. Not sure if they will deal with individuals or they are just wholesale/OE suppliers. I believe the Skoda VRS comes with Alcantara from the factory. I am seriously considering Ultrasuede. Both seem to be pretty much the same, as long as I source it from an authorized Toray reseller.

Rajan

OK Buddy. The decision is made. Alcantara it is going to be. I have found a source for 100% genuine Alcantara and have initiated communication with them. They want a set of pictures on my interiors, which I will mail out this weekend.

Options:

1. Cover the existing black plastic - incl the dash - with black Alcantara. All the Beige gets covered in Steel Gray Alcantara. Seats get perforated Alcantara in contact areas in Steel Gray and trimmings in pure black Alcantara

2. Cover all the beige with pure black. Seats in perforated black / pure black combo

What do you think?

Rajan

Here is a reference, just to get a visual of how it looks

Rajan

@MODS : Edit window time elapsed. Sorry for the back to back post. Please merge. Thanks
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Amazing is the word! That guy has some real skills! What a job! :cool
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Merged.
    Please use Report Post for any moderation.
  7. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Rajan,

why is this thread inactive so long ?
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Still in planning phase :D. I have almost finalized on the materials, design, etc. Yet to start the ordering process. I am in the middle of moving house, so temporarily on hold. I should start the ordering process next month. Will certainly post updates, as and when they happen :D

Thanks for checking,

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    OK. Bumping this thread back up. I have actively started collecting all the components I am going to need. The idea is to get at least enough stuff to start the work. The concern is, if I do it in bits and pieces, not sure if the final out come will look uniform, or will end up looking like patch work. Yeah, that explains my handle as some wise members have already observed :D.

However, that should not stop experiments, right? So, I got myself a piece of matt black vinyl wrap and went to work on the fuse box cover. While it is not as easy as some youtube videos portray, it is not so hard either. I was able to get decent results with no air bubble and no noticeable frayed edges. I am thinking of getting some more film and trying to wrap some other stuff and see how it goes. I am pretty pleased with the outcome for a first attempt. Am sure I will get better at this with some more practise.

A couple of snaps.

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

Watch this space for a how to write up and maybe a video :D

Rajan
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    4 people like this.
  10. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Project - Linea T-Jet Sport

Rajan, the outcome looks neat

I was waiting for updates on this thread. Looking forward for things to unfold
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013