1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Project Linea T-Jet Sport : Cruise Control now active!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Sorry for replying late. Was very busy with other things and remap. Meanwhile my ELM fried up too. Now i have a borrowed one. Will surely go the CC light stuff and post the pic. Let me pull the details of body ECU and Main ECU too. I mean the version details. I can see from pics that Saugat has old ECU.
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

One more Linea (1.4 FIRE this time) gets Cruise Control installed :D. Watch this space for the owner's report. Five TFIans gathered at my place yesterday for the installation. Sadly, I did not take any pictures. Waiting on the report / pictures from the others.

5 people like this.
  3. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Wow!!! Thats a great news. Hopefully MJDs have some solution.
  4. bbllaazzee

bbllaazzee Amatore

Nov 9th my Linea celebrated its Diwali with CC fireworks. Rajan and myself decided to fix the CC on my Linea 1.4 FIRE on 9th starting 11 am. I could reach Rajan's place only by 12:05pm. Following are the things I took with me

1. Wires of 5 different color(23 AWG, multi-strand), just got the matching colors as per the Stalk (from SP road, Bangalore) - 2meters each
    2. Got the 6PIN 2 way connector with clips(male and female) (Rajan used 2pin connectors of 3 set, I just got one connector) - same from SP road (Electroface shop, 2 shops I enquired and both named this shop for availability)
    3. CC stalk from ebay uk (ALFA 147)
    Rajan sponsored ;) the protection pipe, ECU pins, tags to tidy the wiring and of course his expertise in fixing the CC

As a surprise Suzan (Rajan's wife prepared a yummy lunch to keep us energised) - I assume I spelt her name correct.

I had to take my son along for the install and to my surprise he co-operated with out much of a fuss and Rajan's wife kept him busy. Coming to the work, will let the picture talk more than words

the original stalk connector with 5 wires

Master at work, getting the wire through the trunk release area.

The pulling wire, which was first inserted and got through the fuse box side(below the steering) and the actual wires are tied, insulated and pulled back

Me pulling the wires slowly out.

The wires come via 2 different rubber holes (the holes have to be made, there is a provision, so just punch it with a screwdriver.

The insulation of the actual wires and the strong pulling wire(pulling wire needs to be strong - like a stick, so that we can push it in and also pull back )

The actual wires - only 4 goes to the ECU, the remaining one is connected to the Fuse 51 (Fuse box, below and behind the steering )

Rajan removing the insulation and getting the remaining wires

The vertical slit protection pipe(Rajan's idea of water not staying in the tube :idea:)

The ECU pins that needs to be crimped to the wires

Rajan carefully placing the pins and getting it ready for crimp

Examining if it is properly crimped

Post crimping the pin/clip

Placing the protection pipe before connecting to the ECU

The first wire place in the ECU connector

All connected wires to ECU and checking if it is properly locked

Placing the lock clip, so that pins don't move though the Pin itself has a lock mechanism, this clip makes sure the alignment is correct.

The remaining portion of the stalk that was cut out, so it can be fitted.

The stalk after cutting the protruding portion, shown above

Grinding the stalk for a smooth finish

The other side of the wires needs to be crimped (with pins got from SP road), so it can get into the 6 pin connector

The finished connection to the LH side tab, which also holds the Headlight stalk, one can see the 6pin connector got from SP road

The position in which the stalk is fixed with screws(we did check the comfortable position of the stalk before fixing it with screws)

After fitting it to the steering cowl, away from the head light stalk, so no interference when operating the headlight or turn stalk. Have to get used to an additional stalk there now in a new position.

The functioning of the stalk - ON position

MID message

OFF position message

We did a test drive(Rajan, Rajasekar(Raj29), DRIV3R and one more TFIan (sorry could not recollect the Handle/name)). Rajan inaugurated the cruise and set the cruise at 80kmph and drove a total of 17km with an average of 16.6kmpl, though we had to brake multiple times(50% drive I did), the instant pull when the cruise was resumed is very noticeable unlike flooring the pedal to attain higher speeds which is very much un-responsive, now cruise is going to help an instant overtake(just hold at the + sign and the car picks up speed instantly or resume to the set speed).

The clutch and brake disengages the cruise, manual acceleration using the accelerator pedal beyond the set speed works and once the pedal is released the speed is back to the set one. Resume works and only thing is '-' was not working (possibly a connector issue or the wire). We did not test the connectivity before closing the cowl, lesson learnt. Though Rajan mentioned not to fix the cowl, I went ahead with confidence :(

Anyways not much worried about the '-' for now as I can brake to reduce the speed, but will get it fixed sooner. Thanks all for the support and the TFians making it to Rajan's home.

Special thanks to Rajan and I wow a lot to him and his wife(for taking care of my son and yummy food).

Coming to the cost

1. 6 Pin connector with the pins (male and female) - Rs 60/- (for one set, I got 2, for backup). Not sure if I was cheated, but did not mind the price, as I got a single unit
    2. Wires - 4/- per meter so total Rs 40/- (5 x 2 meters)
    3. CC stalk - 3200/- (around 33 pounds including shipping - ebay UK, Rupee was all high when I ordered this)
    4. ELM 327 cable (1450/- from ebay india)

Total-> 4750/- (not including the protection pipe and the ECU clips)
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
    13 people like this.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

The fifth TFIan was Imranshks. Did anyone take a group pic?

6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Rajan, I am afraid I have a group pic, but of our Fiats, and not us. :D

Here is it. That is bbllaazzee reversing his Linea to go for the TD after CC install.

Thanks to Rajan and Mrs Rajan for hosting us and the delicious lunch, first time I experienced CC on bbllaazzee's Linea and observed the installation live. :)
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
    7 people like this.
  7. bbllaazzee

bbllaazzee Amatore

Thanks Imnranshks.
  8. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

@bbllaazzee we must thank @PatchyBoy for the CC installation, and Mrs.Rajan for the delicious lunch :)

In fact, we all had a great time, Saturday well spent !!!

Sent from my Lenovo P780_ROW using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Not sure which was more praiseworthy - The successful CC install or my wife's cooking :D. Looks like the popular consensus is obvious.

@Bbllaazzee - The cost of the components I sponsored - MQS connectors, corrugated pipe and screws for fitting the stalk is < ₹ 100, put together. I would not count the ELM 327 cost. I would think that effectively the cost of components used for the install is ₹ 3400. Time spent with you guys - priceless

@Imranshks - Seafood next time, I promise. My wife is an awesome cook for vegetarian dishes, but her real talent shines with non-veg.

I am personally waiting for a successful install on a Linea MJD. I owe that to a fellow TFIan and a good friend :D

4 people like this.
  10. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Both. :)
    Who? When? :D