1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Project Linea T-Jet Sport : Cruise Control now active!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Patchyboy: Can you sniff and log the canbus data. Like sniffing the canbus command that is executed when you enable CC. Once I have those commands, i can connect to canbus via a terminal and fire the same to see of CC gets activated on dashboard, this could be easier and safer method than pluging in the 12v in some wrong plug hole :(

This simple android tool will allow you to sniff the data https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Gwentech.Can
    Some details can also be collected from MultiEcuScan Graphs section.

Let me know if you have any success.
    Thanks
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I just downloaded and installed that app from Google Play.

It is prompting me to connect a GT1026 adapter, which is available for purchase from the developer's website - $325!!!

Rajan
  3. Viny

Viny Esperto

Sorry, my bad, i thought its for generic OBDII scanners.
    Can you try the trial version of CANtrace - CAN Bus Analyzer and see if we are able to pickup the codes.
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    The website says - "It works with your current Kvaser, Vector or Peak Hardware." Will this work with my OBD2 scanner?

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  5. Viny

Viny Esperto

I guess we need to go back to the basics, i will write a detailed DIY on how to sniff the Canbus data from Serial port.
    Thats slightly hard way, as we need to fire few commands manually to get the data. Those who have worked with serial devices with hyperterminal or putty will find it easy, others might find it slightly hard.
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Please do that Viny. I will appreciate that. You see, while I am a reasonably fast learner, I am not a qualified guy. I know zilch about electronics. I am not even an engineer.

Talking about hyperterminal / putty, yes I use them a lot to talk to the network devices at work. So, given a DIY from a knowledgeable person like you, I am sure I can do it.

Rajan
  7. bbllaazzee

bbllaazzee Amatore

Bangalore
    Yes, that would be of real help as you both have the ECU scan software to make some progress/research. I am just waiting for a day of time where I can meet Rajan and get the test for pin 58 done again. If Viny can try, then it is nothing like that.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  8. Viny

Viny Esperto

@bbllaazzee: weekend is here, give it a shot, mean while i will also try to look deep in ECU :)
    1 person likes this.
  9. Viny

Viny Esperto

DIY For CANBUS Sniffing :)

Device Required: Bluetooth ELM327 Scanner, Android Device
    Software Required: ELM Terminal Download from :- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=Scantech.Terminal

Idea is to sniff the data from CANBUS which has tones of data flowing through expecting that FIAT uses single canbus for internal and external communications.

Steps (During the process dont perform any action in car)
    1. Connect the ELM scanner to the OBDII port.
    2. Put the Car in On (MAR) position.
    3. In your Android device enable bluetooth, scan for the ELM Device, connect and pair with it.
    3. Start the ELM Terminal on android device, get familiar with application, the bottom right panel is scrollable, scroll it to see the Save log button, will be used later.
    4. Click the "Menu" (three vertical dots icon) at lower right corner in the ELM Terminal application. You will see a bar at bottom. Click on connect, select the paired bluetooth ELM device.
    5. Fire the following set of commands (commands are marked after => sign )

a. => AT I
    You should get “ELM327 v1.4b" or some other version of ELM

b. => AT SP0
    This is to tell the system to use automatic protocol. You should get "OK" as result

c. => AT MA
    This will start dumping the canbus data on screen. Press "Enter" to stop the dump.

6. Click on Save log button to save the log.
    7. Exit the application.

This will give us the baseline log which will have can bus data in normal state.
    Now again perform the above steps and when you have fired 5. c. AT MA this time press the Crusie control on button and then press enter to stop and save the log.

So now we have two logs, one with baseline data and one with baseline data + the command fired for curise control on.

Next step is comparing the log and finding the difference. There are many methods to do so like sorting the logs and then doing file diff or putting the data in excel and creating a pivot table to find out which command was fired how many times and then comparing the results of both log files pivot tables to get the unique different value.

ELM327 reports the msgs in hex, so they look like this (where PP = priority, RR = receiver ID, TT = transmitter ID, DD = data, CC = checksum)

Once we can identify a unique record we can then track specific channel / radio and get more accurate result set.
    Finally once we have it then we can fire the command from terminal to perform the action.

I will try to cover up that in next part.
    3 people like this.
  10. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    If using Putty/hyperterminal on a PC and connecting to the relevant COM port, I guess the software is not required.

I guess since one can access all modules from the OBD Port, all data being broadcasted should show up on this port. But as you said, if the OBD monitoring port is on a different BUS all together there might be a problem.