1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Project Linea T-Jet Sport : Cruise Control now active!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Jan 29, 2013.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    50 of these little guys have arrived. Now I have to figure out a way to crimp them without a proper tool. I hate doing things without the right tools, but the die for crimping this seems to be more expensive by many times than the cost of the project itself :A :A

MQS Connector.jpg

Any ideas people?

@bbllaazzee - It should work on all variants of the Linea. Our Mod has confirmed that it works on the MJD. On the 1.4, I am yet to find the correct pin numbers to connect to.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    OMG, and what exactly is that
  3. Nose player with delicate hands.
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Those are the famed Tyco Electronics Micro Quadlock System connectors. The wires from the CC stalk have to be crimped to these and inserted into the ECU female sockets. I only need 4 of them, but had to order 50, as that was the minimum order quantity :D

Rajan
  5. Rachit Bhatnagar

Rachit Bhatnagar Amatore

Dehradun
    If FIAPL guys are reading this thread must be feeling flying butterflies in stomach. They must be regretting, If this CC can be done in DIY. Why they didn't introduced this feature in their cars instead putting rain sensing wipers & auto headlamps.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I would not think so. Please do a search on other "enthusiast" forums. You will see that CC has been discussed, but the vast majority believe that it is of very little use in a Manual Transmission car, that too in Indian Roads. The manufacturer has to provide features that the "aam junta" appreciate and want to have. Who cares if having CC makes driving long distances relatively stress free while also improving FE? I was surprised to see comments like "You have to hit the brakes every 2 minutes. So having a CC is pointless". I guess who ever wrote that needs a serious driving lesson or has never driven on the highway.

The "aam junta" believe having rain sensing wipers and auto headlamps are more important, as we live in a country with unpredictable weather and roads with frequent long tunnels. So they get it.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  7. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Nose pliers are your best bet. The Ring terminals etc have the same type of crimp area which can easily be crimped using a nose plier. But this thing being so small is all together a different ball game.

BTW - Can you name or paste a pic of the tool that is required?

Is the pin number same for all kinds of MJD's? The ECU is different between the 75 and the 90, so was wondering.
  8. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    See some here for under 1500.

I guess the open barrel one will do the job.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Just tried one with nose pliers and a piece of scrap wire. Looks not so elegant, but functional. Passed the pull test and gives a 3 ohm resistance reading on a 3 metre 22 awg wire. Here is the die set required to crimp these as prescribed:

die.jpg

What I wrote is for the Linea. Even that I cannot personally confirm. Italia-Linea would be the right guy. He has tried on the MJD Linea.

Rajan
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Dont get me wrong, but the fact is that most of the so called highways are not fit for CC to be used effectively. For example i drive mostly in Pune city traffic. So CC is out of question. I drive from Pune to Kolhapur. Yes its a highway but every odd minute we have other vehicles jumping in front of you. So its better to concentrate on road than playing with CC buttons.

But if i want to drive from Pune to Mumbai via express way i can use the CC for max half hour. Rest all time again the same issues will crop up.

Highways in South are very good. Even in Gujrat. So CC is very useful there.
    1 person likes this.