1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Project Linea T-Jet Sport : Cruise Control now active!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Rajan,
    Congratsz for your completion of the do it yourselves project :) with flying colors.
    This should be taken as lesson learnts for FIAT management for not justyfing the cars named.Ex Punto Sports 90 HP and yourselves proved what Tjet should have.Loved your approach and reading each and every posts on your research. Well you should have Kingfisher tatoo on CC switch. (Just kidding )
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Congrats Rajan on completing this project. Your effort to share each and every detail of the great work is really appreciated.
    I am sure we will see CC installed FIATs on Indian roads in the coming days. Yes, as Ganges said above, a lesson for FIAT.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    True. Agree with Ganges and fiatlover. I still wonder why Fiat doesn't provide this feature when the cost of installing this is very less. Instead of auto lights, rain sensors, they could have provided CC on their cars.
    2 people like this.
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^ Very true. IMHO, this feature adds more value than the Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto Headlights and will get used more often. Sometimes, it is really hard to understand the thought process of the manufacturers, when deciding on including / excluding features.

Rajan
  5. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Hearty congratulations! All that effort and perseverance paid off.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Initially, I was a bit reluctant whether I should try installing CC in my Punto, mainly because on highway cruise, using the ABC pedals gives some physical as well as mental activity, making us more alert on long drive. I know one can choose to use or not use it all the time. Now, slowly I am getting more interested in CC and would like to try, of course with rajan's support, you being the pioneer(I mean the first person to install CC in FIAT in India)

Yes, I want to try it in my Punto, may not be very soon, because family matters taking most of my time. :) If there is a plan to bulk order parts;) from Bangalore FIAT'ians, I am in for sure.
  7. Rajan whats next?? a rain sensing wiper and auto headlight? :ugeek:
  8. ajuvignesh

ajuvignesh Amatore

Chennai, Kanyakumari, Trivandrum.
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hearty congratz Rajan for the completion of this project. :clapping and a great thanks for unlocking this fantastic feature.

Perhaps the electronic stability program. :cool:
  9. bharathj85

bharathj85 Regolare

Chennai
    Rajan,

Congrts bro. Anyday you can take my Punto Active mjd and my Palio s10 for your activity.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I screwed up. :A :A

After doing all this research and study, I ignored one minor detail - mounting the stalk. When I took off the plastic lid, I was shocked to see there was barely 5 mm space behind. Just enough for the cables to be routed. That was the first screw up.

Then after taking the lid out, I realised that I cannot simply drill a hole large enough to just pass the cables through. Had I done this step, before crimping the 2 way connector, it would have been possible. But now, I needed to drill a hole large enough to allow the connector to pass through, which would mean a hole larger than what the CC stalk base would cover.

So, I decided to drill a hole close to the edge and then cut a slit. I can then twist the plastic and pass the cable through.I screwed up again. I selected the wrong spot for that hole and ended up with no option but to fit the CC stalk like this:

IMG_1050[1].jpg

Arrrgh. I was so disappointed with myself. Anyway, it decided to do a small drive to see how easy or cumbersome will it be to use. It is OK. It can be used and as it is screwed down is pretty sturdy. Now, I will have to order one of those plastic trim pieces and fix it better.

Anyway, decided to get some statistics, while I was at it. From my earlier posts, you might have seen some mileage figures. I decided to do some more tests. Consolidating here:

CC set at Mileage
    70 kmph - 15.5 kmpl
    80 kmph - 17.9 kmpl
    90 kmph - 18.7 kmpl
    100 kmph - 17.1 kmpl
    110 kmph - 15.6 kmpl
    120 kmph - 13.8 kmpl

So, 80 to 100 seems to be the sweet spot, as expected. It is also the most comfortable.

@shams - Sorry. I was very uncomfortable even at 120 kmph. CC @ 180 kmph might just be a dream.

All runs were for ~ 15 kms each, same terrain and traffic conditions. It was a round trip between 2 points on Old Madras Road. Evoma hotel to Toll gate before Hosakote and back, for those who know. Speed and mileage as displayed by MID.

Good news is - the MQS connectors have finally arrived and will be delivered tomorrow.

Rajan
    20 people like this.