1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Project Linea T-Jet Sport : Cruise Control now active!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    Rajan, post our meet last weekend, i am glued to this thread and eagerly awaiting for the test drive... If you don't mind driving south, then we can do it on NICE road ? Start from Hosur side all the way to Tumkur road and back !
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    NICE road does sound like a good idea. Let me think about it. Also, the MQS connectors have to arrive, before I can make any progress.

Rajan
  3. venka

venka BANNED

Project - Linea T-Jet Sport

Rajan sir ,

You made my day today.

I was in same situation as urs. Though no rattles from mirror. I was compromised on day n night functionality of mirror due to reverse parking sensor mirror placed on OEM mirror.

Even I had removed the mirror n opened it to check, can I place this some where else to keep the day n night functionality of OEM mirror. Didn't succeed in that COZ <b> I didn't think out of the box like you :( </b>

Now I know how to do it , thanks for this update. In last meet I observed your reverse parking sensor placement on dash board corner . I told my self why I didn't go for this kind of reverse parking sensor.

Now I know how to fix it. :).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  4. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Reverse parking mod stuff is awesome Rajan.

I have this mirror on mirror in my car and it's annoying as hell in the night. This gives me inspiration to do something about it.

I don't really like the Orbit gum container though, so I might choose something flatter & squarish.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Looks like the wait for those damned MQS connectors got a bit longer. I doubt if the final install and road test of the CC can happen this weekend. Just got this email from the vendor.

A question to members - My Jet is now on 13500 kms. Would it be better to get the 2nd free service done, before the final CC install? I really do not want the FIAT technicians monkeying around with CC controls during the service.

Rajan
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Deffo get it serviced before the CC stalk & other paraphernalia install. Have a nice "clean" service and then your Jet will be exclusively in your hands for the next 12 months without any FASS interference.

Cheers.
    3 people like this.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Part 1 - Prologue

It was a lazy Saturday morning like any other. I had finished reading the newspaper and a leisurely breakfast. With nothing much to do and nothing planned for the day, I decided that I will do a thorough cleaning of the car. There was a lot of dust on the dash board, in spite of keeping the windows closed and AC on all the time, due to the stupid wire mesh filter. So I pulled out the spray bottle of Sonax Cockpit Spray and started with the interior plastics. I like this spray particularly, as it gives a nice satin finish and the plastics look really rich, unlike some spray the SC uses that result in a shiny cheap looking finish.

When I was cleaning the steering column, I noticed this and thought to myself, "Wonder why it is designed like this??? AFAIK, none of the variants launched in India have Cruise Control. FIAT must have shared the original product design with vendors, who in turn manufactured dies and casts accordingly." Once all of the interiors were done, I took a well deserved break for a cuppa and a smoke. During this break, like any true TFIan, I fired up chrome and logged into TFI to see what was going on, when the thought of Cruise Control came back. So I typed those magic words into the Google custom search box on top and hit enter.

The very first thread to be shown was - Cruise Control for Fiat Punto. Ahhh, I guessed right, some TFIan has already tried. So, with great excitement I hit the link only to be presented with a lonely 2 year old thread with zero replies. However, that thread had a few links, which I promptly clicked. The first link took me to an Italian forum's thread that spoke about removing the steering wheel air bag assembly, but also spoke about replacing the column switch, with the CC stalk and activating it. Honestly, I could not understand much after reading all 26 pages, thanks to Google translate. Little did I know how much I am going to use it in the coming days.

The next link took me to a thread on FiatForum, which had a step by step of installing CC, but on a Stilo sadly. The connectors that were involved did not look familiar at all. The third and final link gave a 404 error :D. I thought I had hit a dead end and wanted to go back to cleaning the car, when my wife announced that lunch was ready. Already??? Why do we have to eat according to the clock and not according to hunger :A :A

Anyway, since my new house is not yet furnished and there is no dining table, I eat sitting in my office chair. Yes, you guessed right :D. In front of the laptop, browsing away while eating. God, my wife hates TFI - "What in the world is so interesting in that forum, that you have to browse even when eating?" she asks.

Coming back to the story, the words T-Jet in the last link kept bothering me. So, searched for "fiat-bravo-198-tjet-cruise-control-aftermarket.pdf" which was the last portion of that link. Bingo. I found the pdf. It was concise, accurate and pretty detailed, but for the car being Bravo. Thankfully, the ECU connectors looked similar to my Jet.

As you might have already guessed, the car never got completely cleaned as I was glued to the laptop the rest of the day :D

... To be continued

Rajan
    19 people like this.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Part 2 - The Quest

Sunday morning, I was left with a car that had clean interiors and dirty exteriors, unsure of what I am searching for and bleary eyed from staying up late. But giving up so soon not being my nature, I continued the search. All I could find was Punto, Bravo, Stilo and Punto again. I could barely find any information on Linea.

I searched all over the place for eLearn for Linea, Linea Worshop Manual, Linea discussion forums and drew a blank everywhere I looked. I just could not believe that Linea was sold only in India and nowhere else in the world. I was sure Linea was very much available in Turkey, Egypt, Brazil among other places. I was lost and confused. While I thought it must be a straight forward process to find information and I took pride in my ability to find useful and valuable information on the internet, here I was, twiddling my thumbs. So, I decided to go back and finish cleaning the car.

While I was there in my driveway, admiring how beautiful she looked, especially when freshly cleaned, it dawned on me - none of those places had English as the first language. I rushed upstairs to where my laptop was, changed my search preferences to include Portuguese, Spanish, Italian and Turkish and searched again, hoping for a miracle. No luck. Dammit. I was aghast that I was still drawing a blank. So, I thought to myself - "Maybe the Punto comes with CC and the steering wheel design is shared between the two", but that sounded ridiculous, even to me :D. It made absolutely no sense that a manufacturer would provide CC on a hatchback and not on a sedan. But the truth was, I was still in square one. I was not back there. I never left square one :A

The wife was getting more and more annoyed at being ignored almost the whole weekend and her annoyance was starting to show. So I decided that I will continue my search later and took her out for dinner. Middle aged women seem to have very different needs. My wife does not care how much money I spend on her. She is more focused on how much time I spend with her :D. The weekend came to an end and it was time to go back to work. Through the work week, I could not get the thought of CC out of my head and kept searching on the internet whenever I found time. I was very disappointed that I could not find information for one whole week.

It was Friday evening. I sat down with my drink and now my wife wanted to know what was bugging me. She had noticed I was lost in thought the whole week and wanted to know if there was something wrong at work. So, I sat her down and explained the story to her. I had to start with explaining to her what Cruise Control was. When I finished my narration, she smiled sweetly and asked - "Have you tried searching Videos? I get great recipes when I do a Video search". Though I was not very convinced, I fired up Google, keyed in "cruise control fiat linea" and clicked Videos. I hit pay dirt with the very first result

My wife was taken aback when I gave her a big hug and a kiss. The joy, however was short lived.

The video was published by Maciej Wasilewski on 20th March 2013. No comments. No links. Nothing. :???: Dead end again. Alright, now it was time for a second drink and it was time to put on my thinking cap. If Mr. Wasilewski has a Linea and has CC, it was just a matter of finding him, right. Trusted Google to the rescue. I searched for Maciej Wasilewski. Not so simple Sir. The search returned a Mr. Wasilewski, Program Manager in Warsaw and a Mr. Wasilewski a Lawyer in Wroclaw, a Mr. Wasilewski, editor of Goldline (whatever that is) in Bydgoszcz. Couldn't be the same person. Now how in the world do I find out which Mr. Wasilewski posted that video? :A. So very smartly, I searched for "Maciej Wasilewski cruise control fiat linea". Not so soon Sir. The only results that were returned took me back to the Video I had already seen. Wow, I sure do own a very unique car :D

Took permission from the wife for a third celebratory (used that excuse, as she was thinking I had found what I was looking for ;)) drink and came back to the laptop. Come on man, think outside the box, I told myself.

What is common to these three gentlemen, apart from their names I thought. All of them are from Poland. Thats it. Google translate - "Cruise Control", translate to polish. Google said "tempomatu". So went back and searched for "Maciej Wasilewski tempomatu". Nothing useful. It was even more painful, as I had to click on each result, wait for Google to do it's haphazard translation and look to see if it has anything to do with what I wanted. End of page 1 of the result set, I was ready to give up. I even thought that video must have been a prank. Someone out there knew I was searching and decided to do something funny. Was the Linea even available in Poland?

Snap out of it, I thought. you are close to the truth. Don't give up now. Where are your analytical skills? What do you know till now - There is a FIAT Linea in Poland owned by a Mr. Maciej Wasilewski, which has cruise control. Cruise Control translates to "Tempomatu" in Polish. So, search for "FIAT Linea Tempomatu"

So I did just that and the very first result took me here. I allowed Google translate to do it's work (God, I thought I knew and can understand English :A:A)

The first few lines of the opening post read:
    Wow. My search ends here, I thought. Little did I know that the search had just begun.

To be continued......

Rajan

PS: Sorry people for the long drawn narration. Amogh had rightly pointed out in this post

So, I thought let me also share the thought process, so all of us benefit from understanding what it takes for a DIY.
    17 people like this.
  9. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Wow, now that's called perseverance. Salutes to you Sir!

Also, I have noticed afew times that good suggestions are often given by persons who know little about the subject of your research. We just don't take those seriously at times.
  10. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Feel your pain sir :D. Sometimes I will sit on my chair in front of the computer , staring at a wall for hours at end - ponderous , lost in deep thought , almost philosophical.. My wife gets concerned , anxious and sometimes angry that I am not sharing such important thoughts with her.

How can I , when all I am thinking about is the best way to route a trace from one layer of a PCB to another..:(
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
    3 people like this.