1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Project Linea T-Jet Sport : Cruise Control now active!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    It should work. Testing with an Ohmmeter, here are the requirements (Applicable only for Linea):

Place the Cruise Control control in the ON position
    Connect the probes between pins 4 and 2 of the Cruise Control stalk connector and check that a resistance reading of approx. 300 Ohms ± 10 % is present at 20°C

Place the Cruise Control control in the ON position and Place the Cruise Control control in "SET+" position
    Connect the probes between pins 2 and 6 of the Cruise Control stalk connector and ensure a resistance reading of 300 Ohms ± 10 % is present at 20°C

Place the Cruise Control control in the ON position and Place the Cruise Control control in the SET- position
    Connect the probes between pins 2 and 5 of the Cruise Control stalk connector and check that a resistance reading of 300 Ohms ± 10 % is present at 20°C.

Place the Cruise Control control in the ON position and Place the Cruise Control control in the RESUME position
    Connect the probes between pins 1 and 4 of the cruise control stalk connector and check that a resistance reading of 600 Ohms ± 10 % is present at 20°C

Logically, a circuit board with the necessary resistors connected as above with rocker switches should work as well. May not be very convenient to use, though :D. BTW, that you are looking for a stalk, does it mean you have already checked and confirmed feasibility on the 1.3 MJD? I am sure there are quite a few folks wanting to know.

Rajan

PS: Just Rajan, please drop the Sir ;)
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    No, not yet. Obviously i would require your expertise in this matter :)

Actually i am still not fully convinced that i need a cruise control. When i the US too i dint find it too usefull unless you do expressway runs.
    I mostly to city runs and even on indian highways i bet the cruise control can remain in kicked for just few seconds :)

But its a nice feature to have, and since it can be done on our cars its a good urge to go ahead with one.

Also there are CC dashboard switches which are wireless. The receiver unit sits in engine bay besides the ECU, so pulling wires are avoided.

Did you find the details of pins from E-Learn?

secondly the MJD ecu is done by Magnetti Marelli for indian version, wondering if it has cruise on it. Let me know your findings on the punto.
  4. bharathj85

bharathj85 Regolare

Chennai
    You can use my S10 as a project car.
    4 people like this.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Can you connect to the dashboard module and see if you are able to at least get the indicator light to come on?

Thanks man. Let me first check if this will be possible at all in the Palio. ATM, I haven't even started looking :D

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  6. snck

snck Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    :wow :clapping

Hi Rajan, Simply superb... The thought and courage to start this activity itself is commendable leave aside the end result (though I have no doubts about it :) )... I am honoured to be just a member here in this forum
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  7. Lunafiatic

Lunafiatic Amatore

Pune-Mumbai-Pune
    This is a never ending excitement... Respect Rajan

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I was restless waiting for the MQS clips to arrive, so I can finish installing the CC. So, decided to add an additional power socket in the boot, for using the air compressor. So I drew two wires from the battery direct, of course fused with a 15 amp inline fuse. The wires are routed along with the existing wires of the OE harness, along the floor of the passenger side of the car.

Raj29 decided to drop by and with his help, I was able to lay down wiring for the CC, this time routing from the driver side itself. Thanks Raj.

Now the wait for those MQS clips has become even more restless :D Damn. The good thing is - once the clips arrive, it is just a matter of crimping them and sticking them into the ECU. Sorry, no pictures of today's work. Raj did take a few pics. We might end up posting them next weekend, when the road test happens.

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  9. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Previlage

It was a great privilage to witness what has been done and what is being planned and so on with the boy himself ;)

Had a great time trying to understand what Rajan was doing. He was patient enough to explain what is being done, what next and why?
    He was working all day even without having proper meal, it was such an inspiration to see Rajan so commited to the job he is doing.

All the pictures are copyright @ Rajan aka Patchyboy

I know he will not post the below pictures himself so positing them on behalf.

To be frank eagerness has crept into me so much to see the final outcome that am restless for the parts (MQS clips) and weekend to arrive.

The boy at work with few of his tools :)

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

The actual job pictures and rest of the pictures would be posted by Rajan (coming weekend) with the correct details/explanation of those as he is the right person to do so with right details about them.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
    21 people like this.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks for posting the pictures Raj. Now you have made it public, how much of a boy I really am :D

Sorry about the unshaven appearance people. After the gum surgery, I was working out of home the past 2 weeks and did not shave. I am usually not so shabby :oops:

I had got the reverse parking sensors installed, when I bought the car. While I was thrilled to have body coloured sensors, without having to get them painted, I was not so thrilled with the mirror. For starters it rattled and it did not have day / night adjustment. I was able to reduce the rattle by adding rubber cushions, but it was still making an annoying tick-tick noise. So, I removed the mirror completely, with the plan of getting a dashboard mounted sensor display and was driving around with reverse sensors that sensed obstructions, but had no way of telling me about it :D

Then the boy in me woke up and decided to take the mirror apart to see what was inside. I found this:

WP_000413.jpg

The rest was just reflective surface, which FIAT already provided, that too rattle free and with day/night adjustment to boot. That has become a must have, thanks to all the morons with bright lights, driving around with high beams all the time. So, I started looking for a container in which I could fit this and mount on the dashboard. So, I sat here brooding, when I picked up the can of Orbit chewing gum and popped a couple to help me think, when it struck me:

WP_000414.jpg

The boy being his impatient self, pulled out his tools and went to work on the poor little container:

WP_000415.jpg

and ended up with this:

WP_000416.jpg

Pictures of the contraption in the car later.

This little DIY gave the boy more satisfaction than the CC mod, as he did not have to use the internet or Google translate. This was his own creation and he was pleased that Google has not killed his creativity.

Cheers,

Rajan
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
    17 people like this.