1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Project Linea T-Jet Sport : Cruise Control now active!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Jan 29, 2013.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Why am I posting this in DIY section? Because I want to do most of the mods myself. Almost all the mods I have in mind are cosmetic. The T-Jet already has more than enough power that I can handle comfortably. I specifically decided to choose the T-Jet as against the T-Jet + variant, because I hate beige. And it makes absolutely no sense replacing beige leather. So, what exactly do I have in mind? I will list what I am planning to do - it is going to take quite sometime to do all of this - and am expecting candid comments from the forum. As FIAT brethren, I am counting on you guys. Would appreciate all comments, negative or positive does not really matter - just want your opinion on this

Alloys

• 16" or 17"? I know I will have to go with 215/45 R17, if I decide to go for 17". Question is, how much of ride comfort am I compromising on?
    • Paint the alloys BNW with a red lip? Or should I go with black lip? Or just BNW? Or maybe Gunmetal?
    • Multi-spoked? Just 5 spokes?

Beige Interiors

• How do I change the beige interiors? What do I change it to? Please keep in mind - I do not really want to change the roof liner, I kinda like it :)
    • Red? - Blood Red or Crimson?
    • Glossy Black Carbon Fibre?
    • Glossy Anthracite Carbon Fibre?
    • Orange?
    • Vinyl Stickering or Paint?

Side turn repeaters and ORVMs

• I want to relocate them to the ORVM
    • LED?
    • Transparent casing with warm white?
    • White with Amber casing?
    • Remove the existing repeaters on the front fender or leave it as is?
    • Change colour of ORVM top part from BNW to glossy black? Glossy CF? Anthracite CF?
    • Or change the colour of the ORVM stalks to BNW?

Puddle and Door open warning lights

• FIAT logo projector lights?
    • Independent or two -in-one?
    • Regular VW style lights with red vertical and transparent horizontal?
    ABC Pillars

• As of now, A pillars are grey, B pillar Beige and C pillars Black. I want uniformity
    • All of them Black?
    • All of them CF - Glossy Black or Glossy Anthracite?
    • All of them Red?
    • Paint or Film?
    Roof

• Paint or film?
    • CF or glossy black?
    • Fake sun roof?
    • Leave as is?
    Seat Covers

• Red / Black combo?
    • Black / perforated black combo?
    • Black / Silver Combo?
    • Red stitching / White stitching?
    Front Grille and Fog Lights

• Glossy Black?
    • Matt Black?
    • CF?
    • Paint or sticker?
    • Leave as is?

Help of any graphics guys who can put some of these ideas into images, so it is easier to visualize would really really be appreciated. An evening out drink / eat how much ever you want, whatever you want on me :D

Thanks a lot in advance

Rajan
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    7 people like this.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Oh Rajan. You dissapointed me. I was expecting a Remap kinda project before opening this thread on the lines of Nimish's project. :)
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Sorry Buddy. Between you and me, Remap is in the back of my mind, just not yet ready to commit on it :D

Rajan
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Why to remap T-Jet engine??

Rajan, seems you have already planned so many items.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Yes. The problem is too many choices :D

Rajan
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2013
  6. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Let me help you for some point:-

Alloys

• 16" or 17"? I know I will have to go with 215/45 R17, if I decide to go for 17". Question is, how much of ride comfort am I compromising on? 17 inch means more wider tyre and more grip with road.
    • Paint the alloys BNW with a red lip? Or should I go with black lip? Or just BNW? Or maybe Gunmetal? You will get coloured aftermarket wheel ( don't paint unless you opt for T Jet alloy), Try Red Lip comes with wheel itself.
    • Multi-spoked? Just 5 spokes? Multispoke will be really good option.

Check this :- This is 16 inch,

HRS 16 inch wheel H290 98 pcd.JPG

Side turn repeaters and ORVMs

• I want to relocate them to the ORVM
    • LED? for DIY Use LED :)
    • Transparent casing with warm white?
    • White with Amber casing?
    • Remove the existing repeaters on the front fender or leave it as is? Leave as it is with Amber LED casing in OVRM.
    • Change colour of ORVM top part from BNW to glossy black? Glossy CF? Anthracite CF? Paint it instead of CF.
    • Or change the colour of the ORVM stalks to BNW?

Roof

• Paint or film? use glossy film, if you don't need you can remove later.
    • CF or glossy black? Glossy Black
    • Fake sun roof? No No No..
    • Leave as is?
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Good to see mods planned for a Jet :) Just leave out the "fake" sunroof. Not too sure about the projector logo lights either .. I think they would look cool in a car show..but not on a daily drive..

PS - Last two cents : I am sure you can be creative and have your mods turn to be unique - just like your Jet. Skip anything that is copied from/inspired by other cars e.g. Audi-style , 'xxx' style , 'yyy' style .. if you know what I mean :)
    1 person likes this.
  9. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Probably this pic would help you a bit. Pic courtesy Nimish Antony :D

DSCN1123.jpg
    7 people like this.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks for all the feedback, hints, pointer guys. Much appreciated. This is the tentative list:

Exteriors

1. Roof - Gloss Black Vinyl
    2. ORVM Covers - Gloss Black - Vinyl or paint not decided
    3. Front mesh and fog light surrounds - gloss Black paint
    4. Side turn indicators - Relocate to ORVM with LED bulbs and Clear Acrylic casing - Still trying to figure out if this is DIY or not. Wiring is a piece of cake, the acrylic bit is what seems a bit daunting. The residual holes on the fender to be covered with some kind of badge - any suggestions?
    5. Headlamps blackening
    6. Tail lights blackening - Should I paint or go with film?

Interiors

1. Cover all the beige - Glove Compartment, fuse box cover, door panels to CF Vinyl - matt or glossy? or a combination of both?
    2. Door arm rests - jet black leather
    3. Steering wheel - Jet Black leather - perforated and plain combo
    4. Seats - Jet Black leather - perforated and plain combo
    5. ABC pillar interior plastics - BNW paint - gotta somehow get it to gel with the jet black interiors and the light roof liner. Any suggestions?

Question for you guys - I also hate chrome. Any one has any idea of how to convert all the chrome in the car to black? This includes even the surround around the FIAT logo, the strips all around the car. Painting may not be the best choice. Plasti dipping can be considered, but will result in a dull rubber like finish. I am thinking of this. For the roof too :)

Please keep the support flowing in. I am about to start ordering the required stuff :D

Thanks,
    Rajan
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013