1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Proclip inspired Tablet dashboard mount

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Oct 27, 2012.

1. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

me too waiting.. :) please have a step by step detaling on the process.
  2. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

Great work..and Awesome DIY.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Guys,

Here is an attempt at a drawing and a how to guide. Hope it is not too confusing. Trust me, it took me lesser time to fabricate the clamp than to do this guide and drawing. It is really easy. Do not hesitate to ask questions.

Special offer for Bangalore folks - you can drop by to my home and I can help you make this clamp. Most welcome to use my tools, but you will have to get the raw materials :D

Rajan

View attachment Dashboard Tablet Mount - How to Guide.pdf
    View attachment Dashboard Tablet Mount - Template.pdf

PS: All measurements in the drawing in millimeters
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
    4 people like this.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Patchyboy where do you stay???.. I will drop in this weekend, I have a 10" pad as well your solution is damn neat
    Perhaps you can PM me your address/ ph please
  5. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Great DIY, and I especially like that you have not disturbed anything on the dash.

Do the clamp clips fit snugly in the slots / gaps above & below the music player?
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    @theblack - Check your PM

Thanks Linear. The clamp does fit snugly. My son and me did about four 0-100 runs, then drove about 50 kms in Bangalore city traffic - read potholes and speed bumps - the clamp just held on. The tablet did not shake or vibrate.

Rajan
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Quick note for everyone looking at the drawings and the guide -

The most important dimension is the vertical distance between the clamps that clip on to the HU. All other dimensions can be changed according to tablet size. When designing the side clamps, take note of the positions of ports / hardware buttons to ensure accessibility.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  8. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Hey Patchboy,
    thanks for the detailed explanation and also for the drawings. Was recalling my engineering drawing class where we used to draw with a drafter :)

any idea how to source the ABS plastic or is there any alternative to it?
  9. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

One doubt :) where can i get this ABS plastic sheet from?
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Not bad for a Commerce Graduate, I hope :D

Not too sure. I salvaged from the Palio's part. Most electronic good's cases and many other objects are made from ABS. I guess you guys will have to look around for something that can provide sufficient flat pieces. ABS comes in only Black, white and natural (beige). So ignore all other coloured plastic objects.

My research tells me that Plexiglas (acrylic) is equally easy to work with. It would be transparent and much easier to find. I think this clamp made of transparent acrylic would look better. Maybe I should give that a shot :D

Rajan