1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Proclip inspired Tablet dashboard mount

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Oct 27, 2012.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    This is still WIP. The basic design, fabrication and test fit is complete. Padding and finishing is yet to be done.

As some of you might already be aware, I am working on configuring my 7" tablet as an infotainment system in my car. I had originally mounted it on the sun visor, but was not very satisfied with the position. I wanted it to desperately be mounted on my stereo console. Only condition - no irreversible modifications to the dash. I ideally wanted to be able to mount and unmount the tablet as needed and did not want any ugly holes / fittings on the dash.

Initially I bought a Rs.690 headrest mount and fixed it to the dash with a clip. It rattled like crazy and drove me nuts. After extensive browsing and research, I wanted something like Proclip

Proclip.jpg

The catch is, it was too damn expensive. It is ABS. So, how hard can it be to make something like that at a fraction of the cost? I decided to find out. I had the ABS box that sits in the HU slot of the Palio ( Yes, the Stile SLX did not have a OE music system).

So, cut that up and got the required sheets. Bending ABS was a bit if a challenge initially, but when I decided to fill up an aluminium channel with sand and then heat it up, then lay the ABS sheet on that, it became almost like a rubber sheet and was very pliable. Only catch, it hardens up pretty fast and one has to be quick making the required bend.

WP_000182.jpg

WP_000184.jpg

WP_000185.jpg

WP_000186.jpg

WP_000187.jpg

To Do:

1. Paste foam packing sheets on all the areas that the clamp will come in contact with the tablet. Had some Fevicol SR 998, but it had hardened.
    2. Figure out a way to fix the side clamps. I am thinking of cutting 2 long slots on the horizontal pieces, fix 2 bolts to the piece that clamps and provide 2 wing nuts. Will make it adjustable.
    3. Find matching Vinyl sticker - ideally the same as the OE HU finish and cover up all the visible areas of the clamp.

Will post the finished product and also how well it does it's job when complete. As of now, the clamp sits snugly in the gaps above and below the HU fascia.

Cheers,

Rajan
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
    11 people like this.
  2. bluepunter

bluepunter Amatore

Bangalore
    I am planning to use my 10.1" tablet. Do you think it is possible because of the size?
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    if you remove the AC went holdings the boot open buttons and the hazard lights can be removed completely.. and you can place it above the AC vents.
    I saw a linea which had done this mod... After that you can actually cleanly insert your tab directly into the empty holding...
    But this would require some electrical expertise and best done under the supervision of a car accessory guy..
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Awesome DIY. Great quality of workmanship. Where have you exactly inserted the clamps near the headunit? how do the clamps stay intact?
  5. abhiuday

abhiuday Amatore

New Delhi
    Great buddy.Most of us would think twice and still not go ahead with such mods. I would be closely following your thread.
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Almost done. The clamp is rock solid. No rattles. I am really proud of what I have done :ugeek:. Sorry, just couldn't help myself :D

Here are a few more pictures.

Horizontal slots made. Now the range is from 5" to 10". A 10 inch iPad or any similar tab should also fit fine, but might be wider than the OE console.
    WP_000191.jpg

Additional Power socket installed, right next to the B&M unit. Sadly, could not find a spare power source. Fuse # 15 says it is subwoofer according to online documentation, but there is no label in the car. So I have no clue what fuse is for what.

There seems to be a spare fuse in the engine compartment, but could not figure out a way to get the wires there, yet. As of now, the wires are rolled up and sitting in the glove box.
    WP_000195.jpg

A view of where exactly the clamp sits and how much clearance is there. Though the boot open, rear defogger and hazard lamp switches are not visible, they are still accessible. I really did not want relocate them, yet. The car is only 3300 kms old :D
    WP_000192.jpg

A view of the tablet from the drivers seat. That is my son driving. He got a 14.9 sec 0-100, as per torque pro.
    WP_000198.jpg

For now, I applied some bumper black on the clamp to make it look good. The search for vinyl sticker is on.

Rajan
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
    11 people like this.
  7. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi Rajan,
    I was looking for something similar for my carputer monitor. Thanks for sharing the idea. :clap
    Now I can have a sturdy mount instead of that loose windshield mount and get rid of visibility issues.
    Can you post the dimensions so that anybody want to make it can do it easily?

Rajeev
  8. Hurricane

Hurricane Amatore

Hyderabad.
    @Patchyboy

That's excellent way of using a tablet. Job well done :D
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks for the likes and appreciation guys.

@Rajeev, I never made any drawing. The design was in my head and I just translated it to ABS plastic. I will try and do a drawing with dimensions and also a step by step guide for the benefit of interested members. Do give me some time.

Rajan
  10. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai

Waiting for it. Please give us a detailed explanation along with the tools required. Will get it done on my Punto as soon as you post it :)