1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Process of issuing driving licences to be tightened

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by ramjn, Nov 20, 2012.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Culprit behind 70% of road accidents that claim over 1.4 lakh lives annually being drivers

A motor vehicle inspector (MVI) issues thousands of driving licences a day as against the prescribed optimum of 30 licences, but all that is set to change.

The culprit behind 70 per cent of the road accidents that claim over 1.4 lakh lives annually being drivers, the Centre aims to tighten the process of issuing licences uniformly across the country.

Upset with the States for their failure to appoint the requisite number of MVIs to appropriately deal with the growing demand for issuance of licences, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has constituted a committee to suggest guidelines for sanctioned strength of personnel for discharging this duty in particular.

Apart from issuing the learner licence and driving licence, the MVI is responsible for registration of vehicles, checking their fitness, inspecting an accident and providing cars for election purposes.

President of the All India Federation of Motor Vehicles Department Technical Executive Officers’ Association Ashfaq Ahamed, who is a member of the committee, said the report was likely to be submitted to the government within three months.

Time for tests

The committee will evaluate the time required to complete each test or event that those seeking licences will have to undergo and which the MIV is supposed to diligently supervise. There are about 24 tests that each aspirant is required to undergo, with each test lasting no less than 30 seconds.

These tests of skill, knowledge and public road test require no less than 12 minutes and that will not permit any MIV to assess and clear more than 30 licences a day, but in some cases it surpasses more than 5,000 a day. More than one crore driving licences are issued annually in the country.

The norms will be suggested separately for the automated licences and the ones issued manually.

The Centre also wants to set the minimum educational qualification for officers manning the Motor Vehicle Department.

Source - The Hindu : News / National : Process of issuing driving licences to be tightened

This is super good move if implemented properly. :)
    3 people like this.
  2. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3
    The main problem is the implementation.

If the law is made more tight the the more is the chance to the implementing authorities to juice out from the people.

Just a month back when I took my sister to the driving test track, I saw one agent making deal with an aspirant.

But, the driving school owner where my sister learnt driving said there is no short cut to the driving test.

Those, who come in the regular channel have to take "H" and "8" but the agent who is making deal says to aspirant you need not come to test track just pay the amount and come and sign the papers across the counter and go. You will get your licence card to your post.

Unless and until there is a change in attitude of the implementing employees there won't be any change in the society. In India the main problem is implementation and not the law.:evilsmile
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    This will certainly be a good move, but I am unsure of the implementation success. Considering the number of application each RTO offices get each day, if they fail a bunch of candidates, that will add to the next day's workload. MVIs will be bothered about this too.

Current driving test is something like this:
    There is one MVI and 100+ candidates for DL test.
    All that the MVI does or can do is to tell the candidate(s)
    Start the vehicle> Move > left turn> right turn > stop. (Pass/Fail)
    He completes test for some 50 candidates in an hours time, thanks to pressure from "test managers" from driving schools. Sometimes even those who fail the test get the license by end of day.

So tightening of the screws is really required to get quality drivers on the road.
  4. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    This should be a good move to curb the culprits behind the scene, i always used to get frustrated by seeing at people who said they never visited any RTO or took any tests.. just paid the agents or middle men and got the license.
  5. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Merely tightening the licence issuing procedure is not going to help at all. I don't understand why our government works in bits & pieces. What about road design, properly visible road signs, clear lane markings, dynamic traffic lights, proper parking facilities so that parked vehicles don't obstruct the smooth flow of traffic? They also have to make all taxi's radio ones, currently there are too many empty taxi's crawling at 20 kmph on our roads looking for passenger's. Tell me how many times have you seen a empty taxi crawling on the roads abroad? This may sound silly but we will be shocked by the impact it will have on smooth flow of traffic.

There are many educated, qualified people driving car's here. We all know how they drive. Educational qualification's are no guarantee of compliance. Today, most driver's don't even know why they jump signal's, most of us do it because we can. Even in Mumbai, historically, known as the city with decent road manner's, signal's today are mere recommendation's for most driver's.

Road design, town/city planning, driving are all a science, a way of life. India is the only country in the world that celebrates a Road safety WEEK. Until that attitude does not change, we will not see any change on our roads.
    1 person likes this.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Very rightly said. As I said before the whole system needs a overhaul right from the infrastructure, licensing, registrations, etc., All this is still a distant dream (or only dream) in India.