1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Problems with my Punto. Need help

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by AshokRane, Jan 25, 2014.

1. AshokRane

AshokRane

MUMBAI
    I need somebody to tell me what the symbol that lights up on my dash indicates. It's a graphic of the car with a lock. This just doesn't go despite my restarting the car. It previously would go
    I will be grateful if anybody can help me.
    And no a scan of my EBD shows now problem there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Mr. Ashok. This problem comes up due to weak battery most often. How old is your car battery? And how much have you driven with this battery?

There are already many threads where this has been discussed. Let me search and point you to the right direction.
  3. AshokRane

AshokRane

MUMBAI
    Hi PaddleShifter, thank you for that reply. I got the same reply from Torrid Motors the service guys at Andheri East, Mumbai. I checked the batt with the Exide guys and they showed me a full charge on their meter. They also said that all the elements look strong.
    This is a real struggle for me. I also keep getting a ABS and EBD fail message popping, but everyone I've gone to say the battery is fine. It is incidentally about 2 years old

Incidentally PaddleShifter, is love you to explain what this symbol stands for. I can understand all the other ones that show when you turn on the engine. This one foxes me. What is the lock on the car supposed to say.
    Would love to hear for you.

Ohh yes and I forgot to mention that on cold starting the crank doesn't hold. I need to crank 3-4 times before the entire fires up.
    Yea I know it shouts of battery issues, but the battery guys and mechs insist that that is not so.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Ok so that means that the battery is apparently in good health as per the exide guys.

The icon is the warning sign from the immobilizer. The FIAT Code System (FCS) reads the code in the car key and if there is some mismatch etc., then this warning light comes up.

Please click on the link below to read the description from the manual:

http://www.teamfiat.co.in/electrical-systems/8958-car-lock-sign-mid-my-punto-mjd-active.html

I also advise you to click on the 4-5 links below and read a few posts in each one of them:

http://www.teamfiat.co.in/electrical-systems/6711-car-lock-sign-dash.html

http://www.teamfiat.co.in/electrical-systems/818-battery-upgrade-26.html (Post no. 253 onwards)

My suggestion is to replace the current battery with a relatively newer battery from some other car or talk to some local battery guy and test another battery. I hope it is nothing more than the battery trouble.

EDIT- Your car is also giving ABS+EBD error with the lock sign. I am sure this is nothing more than a weak battery. Just try another battery and I am sure that the issues will resolve.

error.JPG
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  5. AshokRane

AshokRane

MUMBAI
    Hi PaddleShifter, thanks so much for the links and the suggestions. I'll go through those and once this issue is behind me I'll definitely let you know

6. AshokRane

AshokRane

MUMBAI
    Hi PaddleShifter, your help was so good that I managed to unearth a thread which told me this:

I think this really is the problem. Can't wait to try with the spare key and see if the problem disappears.
    Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It could be a possibility. Surely check with a spare key today.

BUT

That still does not explain the ABS failure error you are getting. That error at the time of start up is most likely due to a weak battery. If the ABS error stays after start up then another cause could be rats chewing up wires in the car or ABS sensor going bad.

Car lock warning sign + ABS error = weak battery.

This is the reason why I made a repeat of my previous statement. To emphasize the importance of testing with another car battery in case spare key also does not solve the issue. Do not go by the words of the battery guy alone. :) It could be a possibility that they did not even checked the voltage under load, i.e. while starting up the car.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The symptoms direct to the classic weak battery issue. I concur with Yashik that the battery issue needs to be rechecked along with the key problem which you suspect yourself.

Again how old is the car/battery? The cranking trouble may also indicate a current leak somewhere due to faulty wiring causing some battery drain intermittently. Careful inspection may solve the problem. Maybe the alternator has developed issue (just a remote guess..).

Please post further update on this issue.
  9. AshokRane

AshokRane

MUMBAI
    Hi Asimpleson thank you, l'll definitely check the battery. My mech who is non Fiat, has gone over the wiring for the leak that you suggest, but that didn't throw up anything. He claimed something called "unit" was defective and changed it for 7k. After that, while checking the wiring, he tells that there was a sort of shorting that blew the newly placed "Unit". In the meanwhile nothing's changed. At least 4 cranks to a start and the padlock sign keeps running on.
    I really need to check the battery. It's a little more than 2 years old.

10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It's weird that FASS Technicians gave clean chit to battery. Lets investigate further.

Check your PM.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014