1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Problem with rpm and top speed (Linea MJD)

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by AshithK, Jan 12, 2015.

1. gopikiran

gopikiran Timido

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    @AshithK

did you solve the problem. even i have the same issue. my top speed goes for 180+. changed the clutch and plywheel. seen bit improvement but not exactly what i am expecting. could you share me your number or email id. will get intouch with you.
  2. Captain_S

Captain_S Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi,
    I had recently given my Punto MJD for the 60k service, I also had a glow plug failure warning at 47k (changed before service), after receiving the car from the 60k service it just lags so bad. Climbing up a flyover at 30kmph in 3rd gear and I have to down shift or else I'd stall and it wasn't a steep incline. I'm not sure what has happened but engine noise is very audible inside the cabin and and there is absolutely no pick-up this has also affected my fuel efficiency as I frequent fuel stations more often(cluster is blank so I can't give actual values). Uptil 60k the car was beautiful but now it's so depressing to drive the car :( can someone suggest what I should ask my service centre guys to check?

Thanks
  3. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    @Captain_S,

From your profile I understand this is a 90 HP tuned engine. Please let us know about the behavior during other times and if the turbo is spooling as expected. Also please get the car checked for any loose inlet /outlet turbo hoses, which can be the cause of the slow pull. I know its a little early however no harm is checking and in case needed getting the EGR cleaned as well.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
    ravikn likes this.
  4. Captain_S

Captain_S Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @PradeepM

Hi Pradeep,

It's a 75 HP engine with no changes done to it. First gear has a good start, the lag however is felt from second and up. I need to check the turbo spooling but I need to push pretty hard to get past city traffic(2-2.5k rpm). I usually shift gears every 10km speed increase but now I do it every 20 or else it begins to becomes sluggish. Also I noticed from an earlier long drive that beyond 120kmph I get a weird sound from the engine belt area.I'm planning a long drive this Independence Day weekend, will update after that drive.

Cheers
    PradeepM likes this.
  5. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Captain_S : Can you elaborate on your 60k service, as in what all was done, or was it a regular 60k service?
  6. Captain_S

Captain_S Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Turbothinghy

It was a regular 60k service (oils/filter change)
  7. Captain_S

Captain_S Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @PradeepM

Hey,

So I visited Pondicherry this weekend and here's the update. There is something definitely wrong with the turbo, the turbo kicks in beautifully at 2k rpm but sadly the car just struggles beyond 110kmph(3k rpm) managed to touch 120 but nothing more than that (I have earlier gone up to 135). Mileage was 18.6kmpl (calculated as display is blank). Also I noticed that in the 4th gear at 60kmph the engine groans a lot. I think it must be the EGR valves that need cleaning. I'm planning to take it to Vecto Motors soon (switching from KHT)

Cheers
    PradeepM likes this.
  8. nbvcrao

nbvcrao Amatore

Guntur
    @Captain_S

Suggest you to get the Timing chain also checked along with the EGR which requires cleaning at 40-60k. The timing chain, if replaced at 60k restores the performance to the day 1 of owning your car.

There are two models of timing chain. The old model costs less, approx Rs. 1,600/- where as the latest modified chain costs around Rs.2,100/- and has timing chain change interval of 90K. The latest timing chain doesn't emit the chain sound, which was prominent in some earlier cars.
    PradeepM likes this.
  9. Captain_S

Captain_S Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @nbvcrao

Hey,

At the 60k service I was told that only the 90HP version needs a change in the timing belt, and it does seem pretty soon for a change doesn't it?However I will check this soon. Does a worn timing belt have a large impact on fuel economy?
    I travelled about 400-420kms and my fuel needle stood at half way.

I had Fiat Uno before and I'm very sure I changed the timing belt after completing 1lakh kms (I miss that baby :'( )

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Have you driven your car till now with heavy foot,pedal to metal ? if not,please do that once. Maintenance wise 75Hp is value for money.
    i have never faced any issues till now(ODO at 1.98Lakhs Kms) with power or lags.
    PradeepM likes this.