1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Problem with rpm and top speed (Linea MJD)

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by AshithK, Jan 12, 2015.

1. AshithK

AshithK Novizio

Bangalore
    Hi Guys, I have a problem with my Linea MJD (2009 model). The engine is as good as new, but the problem I am facing is the car doesnt move quick even though the turbo kicks in and rmp builds up.
    The turbo kicks in perfectly just below 2000rpm however the car doesnt just move. Its like this, 2nd gear the car tops 40km/hr @3500rpm and later then the car doesnt just move but the rpm builds up perfectly. 3rd gear the top speed is just about 70km/hr at around 3000rpm, 4th gear its just between 90 to 100km/hr and the top speed on 5th gear is just 120 km/hr. Please help me make my car quicker and faster.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Can you post the speed of your car in 5th gear and its RPM as well? It has to do 100 at 2500 and 120 at 3000.
    Also, you can do EGR and turbo hose cleaning if you haven't already done it.
    asimpleson and prabhjot like this.
  3. AshithK

AshithK Novizio

Bangalore
    Thank you. Yes. The EGR and turbo hose cleaning was done before 5k kms. Yes, I just tried today.. I am able to do 100 at 2500rpm without problem. But post 100 the top speed doesnt go beyond 120kms /hr and the rpm doesnt touch 3000 rpm on the 5th gear. The turbo push in the 2nd gear is lacking at 2k rpm.. I get a hint of push at 3k rpm on 2nd gear but the speed doesnt go above 50km/hr.
  4. AshithK

AshithK Novizio

Bangalore
    Guys, I suspect a MAF sensor replacement or cleaning.. I would need your inputs asap as I am planning for a vacation in the next 10days.
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Disconnect the MAF and take a drive if power is back replace MAF Sensor if not problem is not due to MAF Sensor.
    Does the rpm go up and speed remains same after a certain speed in selected gear ?
    Like say you are doing 70 km/hr at 3000 rpm in 3rd gear and when you try to accelerate further speed does not increase but rpm keeps on increasing if yes your clutch is slipping.
    Iyu, asimpleson, AshithK and 2 others like this.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    +1 to Vijay. Check the clutch. If it's not sending the power to the wheels, no amount of engine power can help move the car.

Cheers
    AshithK likes this.
  7. AshithK

AshithK Novizio

Bangalore
    Thanks Vijay.. I will disconnect the MAF and see if it works fine. I hope it would not affect the engine in terms of air to fuel ratio and even turbo. Sorry if I seem silly.

Gurjinder.. Yup.. the clutch seems to be fine. The clutch assembly was replaced before 15k kms.

Thank you guys for your valuable input.. I will respond at the earliest.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 15, 2015 ---
    Thanks Vijay.. I will disconnect the MAF and see if it works fine. I hope it would not affect the engine in terms of air to fuel ratio and even turbo. Sorry if I seem silly.

Gurjinder.. Yup.. the clutch seems to be fine. The clutch assembly was replaced before 15k kms.

Thank you guys for your valuable input.. I will respond at t
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 15, 2015 ---
    Anybody here from Bangalore, just to check if all is well with my car. I just want my babe (my car) to superior in terms of performance at all times. I was not able to race on a swift, eco sport n a sunny the other day on my drive from hassan to bangalore. I felt really bad about it... the car just doesnt have quick acceleration in respective gears and it just dosnt go beyond 120 at all.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @AshithK

Turbo hose? Air filter? ECU resisting a change in the set pattern of your driving? Bad fuelling/pump? etc. It could be a range of things, just take it over to FASS, rather than DIY. My blind 'bet': turbo hose.

Do post an update of the solution?

cheers
    asimpleson likes this.
  9. AshithK

AshithK Novizio

Bangalore
    I did it today as Vijay recommended. I started my car cold with unplugged MAF sensor. The car cranked and stalled. Tried again but with same results. Then I connected the MAF sensor and cranked the car, the car started without any hesitation. Drove around until the car attained normal operating temperatures. With an idling car, I unplugged the MAF sensor, the car did not stall. I switched off the ignition and the car was off now, again tried cranking the car with disconnected MAF and to my surprise it started and then took it towards 6lane on seeing a safe stretch tried giving a gentle push... the beast in it awakened with a strong surge in power in all gears starting from 2nd to 4th.. However on the 4th gear the push was not noticeable, the pull /acceleration in the 4th and 5th gear was awesome. I did not check for the top speed today. Will do it tomorrow.

Can my MAF sensor be a culprit? The engine however is much more audible now inside the cabin with disconnected MAF.
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. AshithK

AshithK Novizio

Bangalore
    Now the turbo push and acceleration or pull seems to be good, but the top speed is still at 120kms/hr.