1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Problem with Punto Stock Tyres

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by hamster, Jan 18, 2011.

1. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    I took the vehicle to Sai Iyengar Tyres @ Indiranagar and they have fitted the new tyres in the front. I quizzed the shop fellas about this, he was insisting that the new tyres should go in the front than the rear as front tyres take much load than the rear ones.

So i have 2 new Yokohama C-drives fitted on my vehicle now.
  2. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I had some earlier correspondence with our new "Mod" Gurjinder on this subject. I had enclosed some links that explain the reason. Now I do not remember which thread it is in. Maybe Gurjinder could help locate the post.

This stipulation is applicable for front or rear wheel drive vehicles.

Regards
    Johnny

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

@Rahul24Jam,

Sorry for the back to back posts. But then I found the link that explains the issue. It is:

Is it dangerous to put 2 new tires on the front wheels only?

If you scroll down to the end of the page it clearly brings out that all tyre manufacturers recommend new tyres in the BACK. It also talks about a legal liability (may not be applicable in India with our state of affairs) in case of an accident involving hydroplaning which is the main danger if the rear tyres are older. The situation will go out of control if the rear tyres hydroplane. If the front tyres hydroplane, then it is easier to control.

The point about putting the new tyres in the front is a misconception that almost all of us, especially the tyre dealers, have. But, then it is wrong. We should follow the correct and safe practice.

Regards
    Johnny
    1 person likes this.
  3. that was indeed helpful johnny. thank you!
  4. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    thanks Johnny for sharing the link. I have fitted the tyres in front and is going to stick with it as of now. Hopefully my back tires dont hydroplane and cause any harm. At least that is what i can hope for now :)
  5. HI ALL,

why no one talk about "pirelli" tyres. its just a awesome brand and its been use in all BMW, AUDI, Mercedes etc. WHy not italian beauty with Italian tyres??

i have used Pirelli for 10k kms it was really good and breaking was just awesome in my palio (sold).

Guys can you highlight why we don`t recommend "Pirelli"? and its cost also less.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Jhonny,
    if we add this scenario to ABS with EBD feature doesn't it matters ?
    then whats the use of ABS with EBD ?
  7. soori

soori

Dubai
  8. sandengg

sandengg

LUDHIANA
    Dear Hamster,

I purchased new Punto Active on 1 Mar 2012 and had similar bumpy ride problem.Symptoms similar to yours.Above 60 Km/hr on level highway,bumps felt.

I suspected the Stock JK tyres to be the root cause.

Still got wheel balancing checked,not much difference found.

Replaced new Michelin XM2 Tyres (185 70 R14).

Bumps reduced slightly bit ride quality still below normal.

After driving sometime,my back starts aching.

Tyre Pressure was OK at 32 in all wheels.

Then I reduced tyre pressure - 30 Front and 24 Rear,bumps lightly reduced but again still far below from normal.

Then driven one Demo Punto Emotion (Run 1200kms) whose ride was OK.

Removed Demo Cars's all 4 tyres (with 15'' OE alloys) and fitted into my car and vice versa.

Demo Punto with my Punto behaved perfectly OK with my tyres.

My car with Demo Punto's tyres felt almost the same.

Now I am convinced that tyres are not an issue,something wrong with the suspension.

Is your problem solved.You may share your feedback pls.
  9. PuntoMJD

PuntoMJD Amatore

Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My Punto have stock JK Torondo tyre. I have done 14K KM till date. In last journey we troubled with 6 sidewall puncture of left side rear tyre. We replaced stepney with punctured tyre. Today i did visit to puncture shop, he insisted to put a tube instead of fix 6 puncture and use as stepney but i did not convince and fixed the 6 puncture with cost 480 (80*6). Now I am using this tyre as stepney.
    Now my question is -
    1) is it valid to use stepney tyre as regular one?
    2) Should i replace tyre?
    3) what is cause of such punctures?
    4) What need to take precaution to avoid sidewall punctures?
  10. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

always keep stepney tire as stepney, otherwise u end up replacing 5 tires later on..

in ur case its best to use the damaged tire as ur stepney, if its useable.. and i personally feel u should have used tube inside.

not sure abt the Q's..

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

always keep stepney tire as stepney, otherwise u end up replacing 5 tires later on..

in ur case its best to use the damaged tire as ur stepney, if its useable.. and i personally feel u should have used tube inside.

not sure abt the Q's..
    1 person likes this.