1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Problem with Punto Stock Tyres

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by hamster, Jan 18, 2011.

1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    Have they stopped giving Bridgestone tyres?
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Bridgestone was coming only with old Emotion variants, with 175/70 R14 size. Since this size is discontinued, Bridgestone no longer comes in any variants noe.
  3. I went through the thread, but I am not sure if we have ascertained till now, whether the problem is with the car or the tyres, have we ?
    Before you attempt costly maneovours I suggest you try simpler ones to get some facts on the matter. try getting a friend (somebody with a Punto having 15'' alloys with no prior ride/tyres related problems) to help you . Two of you can exchange tyres for an hrs worth of driving and you'd know for sure if the tyres are the real culprit. Its a small effort before you spend 20 odd k for tyres or alloys et all

If your tyres on another punto give the same trouble as you've had on your car and his fresh tyres on your car solve your problems, then for sure the issue is with tyres or alloys. You can take this a step further and put your tyres on your friends alloys and further draw more conclusions.
  4. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

this left pulling problem is faced by ANIKET also in his mjd punto...he gave me some explaination...says diesel cars have this in common...some casters prob...he's not sure tho..
  5. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    No Caster problem. Caster angle is responsible for hard steering problem.

Camber angle is responsible for pulling problem. At the time of wheel alignment we only keep attention to toe angle. But after completing alignment,we should observe the camber angle reading also.

If you are facing Pulling problem even after doing proper alignment,then problem is in defective suspension system.
    you have to check whole wheel geometry. Bent sturt,bent wheel disk,bent axle,defective wheel bearing,bent cross rail,bent lower arms etc.
    many points are responsible for pulling problem.
  6. hamster

New Delhi

I havent taken these steps to check tyres from other Puntos but the wobbling and shaking has vanished after tyre replacement. The issues now left are bumpy drive and car pulling to the left. Most probably left pulling should be sorted after alignment, havent got time to get that checked, will come back on this once its done.

I have left the car at the service station lets see what do they do to fix the bumpy ride issue.
  7. Ravenlord

Ravenlord Novizio

I think my tyres may have been incorrectly rotated during wheel balancing as well. Looking at the tyres, how can you tell if they have been wrongly rotated?
  8. One point about the steering pull :
    I also had a problem of steering pulling to left....after inspection it was found that the steel rim on front right was bend..
    After replacing the from right wheel with rear wheel with problem was fixed...
    In general if from wheels are bend, it may cause the steering to pull...

In my case it was only a steel rim bend..this problem could also be due to soft/Hard suspension(spring) on one side of the vehicle (this is when vehicle is parked always on an inclined surface) or also in some case dur to uneven tyre pressures.
  9. ranconteur

ranconteur Amatore

yaa +1 to the above post....

I also had 3 bent alloys in my punto and the car always used to pull towards right , the moment i replaced my bent alloys with steel rims the problem rectified . Now the car goes on a straight line for numerous kms if there is not banking on the road .
  10. Srini

Srini Regolare

Did you check your lower arms. Lift your car up in the TASS and check this. Lower arm issues are the ones which gradually wears other parts of suspension and tyres.