1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Problem with Punto Stock Tyres

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by hamster, Jan 18, 2011.

1. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
  2. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

I read on the 'other forum' about the wobbling / vibration at speeds between 80-100.. which exactly is the situation.

Seems like the root cause is Alloy Wheels :hit ... it was mentioned there that the technician fixed a linea steel rim wheels and the problem disappeared ::T - Has someone tried this?

How do we take this to Fiat? Certainly they wont agree easily. Also, is it worth while to get Wheel Balancing done from outside? will it hamper any kind of warranties? (Ideally shouldn't) :helmet
  3. Axn

Axn Regolare

there is no vibration... even at 150+. Atleast in my car and other car that I know (eg. Nitins, Aneesh, Dilip, Karan).

Am I right guys????
  4. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

was tyre new or they removed the tyre from alloy and put it on steel rim of linea.
    If tyre was not same it can even be a defective tyre, Goodyear tyres are famous for wobbling issues.
    My 800 is victim of Goodyear GPS2 wobbling issue
  5. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    GPS 2 are famous for wobbling issue. I had used for my UNO.
  6. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    Linea T-Jet

Please note:

1. a correctly balanced wheel will not create wobble/vibrations. The problem is that majority believe(Because technicians have made us believe, because its a tad tricky to balance an alloy wheel) that if the car is fixed with Alloy wheels there is not need to get he balancing and alignment done. But thats not the truth. Even alloy wheels need balancing done just like press steel wheels.

2. When the technician fixed the balanced Steel wheels to the car , he solved the imbalanced wheel problem so the vibrations/wobbling stopped.

If you take it to Fiat they will explain what I explained to you.

Yes you can get the Wheel balancing done from outside...and it will not impact any warranty conditions.

The wheel balancing on Alloys is bit tricky and a large section of the wheel alignment technicians are not trained to handle alloy wheels. We all know how a steel wheel is balanced. They use lead weights that are stuck to the inside and outside of the wheel. But very few people know that while balancing an alloy wheel a different kind of weight is used. its usually a metal piece that is pasted inside the Alloy wheel well.....and depending on the requirement of weight the metal weight is pasted inside the Alloy wheel well. In my entire Driving life...I have seen only 3-4 Alignment workshops having these kind of Weights and Trained technicians. So next time someone says that Alloys don't need Balancing....just laugh it off and move to next Workshop.

read this for more details: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireBalancing.dos
  7. Dilip_dmk

Dilip_dmk Superiore

Delhi, India
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Never had a wobbling issue till now ... No wobbling at even 160 kmph ...
    Only had balncing issues ,,, car used to always go towards left even after balancing was done ...
    Elegant got the rear wheel balanced too and the problem was rectified ... Done 5k kms after that ,,,, no issue with balancing ..

However , I face a very peculiar problem . The left front tyre always shows 3 psi less than the other tyres after a weeks of air filling .
    Wheel rotation already done , no problem when this wheel was at rear . Checked for puncture at three - four places , bt with no success ..
    Even the tyre was removed from the rim and refit to ensure proper fittment and that no escaping of air from side-walls .

And as faced by many : too much road noise and uneven wear ...

8. hamster

New Delhi
    Update: I got 4 tryres replaced with Michelin Primacy LC in the same profile. The steering shaking and wobbling have vanished but ride is still bumpy. Will be going to TASC to get the suspension checked. Also steering is tilting towards left on its own, which could be because of alignment i guess, will get that checked as well. Does any of you guys experienced steering tilting towards left or right on its own when going over speed breaker or a bad road? or this behaviour is absolutely normal?

All in all very happy with these new set of tyres, its very early though to say that but fingers x'ed.
  9. deepam

yes hamster, even i found ride in my linea very bumpy infact it just gets irritating & even my car has a problem of pulling towards left. i have send my car to TASS many times for the same issue but i dont know they are unable to solve it & i am not understanding where the problem stands. they say that they have changed some parts in suspension also but the problem still persists.

see if u get ur problem solved than do tell me that wat they did & how did it get solved.
  10. Ashpalio

Ashpalio Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3

Bro, I would recommend you first try out tires from another Punto and see the ride then if you find the issue to be resolved then change the tires. I say this because there are many other mechanical aspects to the wobbling and lightness.