1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Problem with Punto Stock Tyres

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by hamster, Jan 18, 2011.

1. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi
    Iam going to install MRF ZVTS for my Acive. Are they good for GP ?
  2. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Yep. I sure did. Though it was not 5-tyre rotation, it was something similar. During 15K km service, TASC rotated the tyre in "X" i.e cross-pattern - front left to rear right & front right to rear left. The difference in ride/ handling was little but it was enough for me not to enjoy the drive. At high speed the it felt that there is a li'l wobbling. Went back & got the rotation corrected - front left to rear left & front right to rear right. The manual also says so.
  3. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    I recommend that you go for Continental tyres. ... they would be quieter as compared to stock goodyear ones and the ride quality would improve. MRF are known to be hard on suspensions.
  4. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    Can you please explain? I think I am not comfortable with the stock Goodyear GT3, although I tried to convince myself that it was something in my mind. The ride quality is not to my satisfaction. I had vibrations at high speed and then got the tyres balanced after which ride improved and vibration got eliminated below 80 but at around 90 I can still feel steering shaking. Sometimes if the road is super smooth, the vibration will die down. Also if I take sharp turn say at about 60, I feel body roll. I feel like I am pushed too much outside. On a wet road, I did it once and was feeling the car was going to skid. Is it OK? I thought Punto was supposed to be the best handling car.

I am thinking (not decided yet) to go for 205/60R15 Yokohama AVS DB. How are these tyres? Higher profile will improve ride but handling and sharp turning is compromised. But I think a fatter section will compensate.
  5. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    I am facing the vibrations on my Punto... i mentioned this in my ownership report.... got the alingment checked via
    JK Tyre Shoppee and they said its alright and the toe needed some alingment... after which I took the car on a Toll Highways.... good smooth road.... the car vibrates... what should I do? I consolded myself that this is how Punto drives initially but after reading this thread I need to seriously consider some option... My Punto is just done 770Kms... Pls suggest
  6. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Goodyear tyres will be good for first 10K KMs. After that they will throw up following issues in the long run:

1. Uneven tyre wear: Causing steering vibrations, poor handling. And you will have to go for frequent alignment and balancing.
    2. Road noise will increase.: A big time irritant....I had to replace my Palio's Goodyear tyres and I switched to Continental things have improved since then. Car handles well and ride is much smoother.

Body-roll should not be an issue until your car skids......some amount of body-role is inevitable while negotiating a sharp turn at high speed.

I have no prior experience with Yokohama tyres, so I cant comment on that...I suggest you to look at Bridgestone.
  7. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Actually, GoodYear GT3 tyres are not as bad as they are mentioned generally. Sure, the noise is higher, no doubt about it. The grip is excellent & is right there at top. The life is also much longer unlike some soft-rubber tyres. I usually listen to Radio/ CD/ USB songs while driving, don't have such a noise issue to be a deal-breaker. Here is another relevant post from axn & the another thread also:

http://teamfiat.co.in/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1555&p=28997#p28997

8. Narayan

Narayan Regolare

Chennai
    I would probably agree with what AXN and vahanpujari have said relating to GT3 tires. I have done 16k kms so far and i havent experienced any issues with my tyres. Did a rotation when i did my 15K kms service and am good. Have driven a max speed of 160kms/hr so far an felt my punto well planted on roads even then !
  9. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi

Cubbie,

Did you check the tyre balancing? The vibrations will come firstly becoz of tyre imbalance (most common) which can happen due to two things a. weight on rims or b. over inflating of tyres. Second reason for vibrations is dented rims i.e. rim losing shape due to some bad pothole. Third reason could be suspension. You should get these points examined in that order if you wish.

In any case as we are meeting on 12th so we shall see and examine little further.

Vijyant
  10. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    I get the balancing act this weekend and drive down to Delhi on 12th Feb..there i would seek information on 2-3 things
    the other one being ((OFF TOPIC)) some engine sound from passenger side of the dashboard...it is audible when engine is hot and not when its a cold...engine sounds like a diesel engine when its hot....anything for this?