1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Problem with Punto Stock Tyres

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by hamster, Jan 18, 2011.

1. hamster

hamster

New Delhi
    Hi All,

This is my first post on TeamFiat, I own a Grande Punto 1.3 EPK. I bought the car in Feb’10.

I didn’t had any major issues apart from little rattles or niggles till 12K. Once the 12k mark was crossed, the ride got drastically bumpy, shaky and I felt tyres wobbling. Also the steering used to shake when on higher speeds. The infamous ride quality of Grande Punto was no longer there. The car wasn’t planted, steering felt way lighter on potholes, all in all I didn’t felt in control of the car. I reported the same to TASC during my 15K service and they said this is due to faulty brake pads and they need to be replaced. As always they were not in stock, once the brake pads were available I went there and got them replaced.

I felt little improvement, the steering wasn’t shaky on high speeds but still ride was way bumpy and on my left knee which is always in touch with wall of the central console felt shaky as if the tyre is wobbling, this is particularly felt on speed around 40Km/hr. The steering was again very light on potholes, there was no sign of the perfectly weighed steering it used to be before 12K. The car wasn’t planted, there was no road grip. Still these issues were there in the car. Again I took the car to TASC and again SA took the test drive of the car and confirmed the issues I was facing. This time though he told me that the tyres are uneven, some are high and some are low. He told me to visit Good Year dealership and gave me a letter from FIAT stating my warranty for Good Year tyres. I went to good year dealership in Gurgaon, the guy there told me that I need to contact helpline of Good Year directly, I called them up and they fixed the meeting for this Thursday. In the meantime I asked the guy at the dealership, how this thing would work. He said that, if they found any fault with my tyres and they decide to replace the tyres with new ones, the person from Good Year would ascertain the value of the old tyres as I have already run the tyres for 19K. Whatever the value he comes up with I will have to pay that amount and the rest will be covered by warranty.

I am really confused at this point as in what should I do next. I don’t want to spend any money on tyres at this point as I have already run them for 19K and I want to run them till the end of their life before replacing them. Have any of you faced these issues?

Need your expert opinion.

Many Thanks.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If the issue is really with tyre, Fiat can hardly do anything. As all 3rd party things, like tyre, battery etc. are covered under warranty from vendor itself.

And, i am 10% sure, but all tyre manufacturers do the same when replacing under warranty. They see how much tyre has already run and reduce the price accordingly.
  3. Welcome to TFI Hamster.

What Ravi said is absolutely correct, GY will evaluate the tyres and if the tyres are faulty, then they will fix a price for the tyres depending on the usage. This price will be usually company price less taxes. Net, Net you will get very less for the 19k run tyres.

Please ensure you have records of tyre maintenance like wheel rotation, wheel alignment, balancing etc.
  4. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    hamster, warranty on tyres is on pro-rata basis. SA is correct when he says that you would have to spend some amount from your pocket to get them replaced.
    When you felt slight wobbling you should have acted at that moment instead of waiting for 15k service. Your tyres probably needed balancing and alignment.
    Which tyre is causing this problem. Does all 4 tyres have uneven wear and tear or only 1 or 2.
  5. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    @ hamster: the problem is with tires for sure....Its uneven tire wear in front thats causing this problem... this can be a manufacturing defect in tires or it may be a classic case of improper tire care....

@All members: Get your wheel alignment, wheel balancing and tire rotation(all 5 tires to be rotated) done every 5K KM. No matter what Fiat Owner's manual says. Improper attention to your car tires can create bigger problems, including Camber out issues that can cause severe handling problems and wear & tear of connected parts. You may end up replacing entire Front shocker assembly which could cost a bomb.
  6. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    @viveksonkhla

It is advisable to rotate all the 5 tires only if you are keen to use up all the tires in the car, but it will be ideal if only 4 tires are rotated . This 5 tire method wears out the tires very differently each time it is on a particular wheel. The best method will be to do front to back and back to front on the same side. Do not interchange the sides. the uneven wear produced by the camber on the front will get ironed out when you fit it at the rear. The only down side is that the 5th tire will remain unused but to hell with it if it can save the drive feel and the components involved. The unused 5th tire should be disposed off when the fresh set is bought, as the rubber would have become old by then.
    My two cents on tire rotation

Abdul
  7. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi

I would recommend the same.
  8. hamster

hamster

New Delhi
    Thanks all for your responses, I am now assured that I am not being taken for ride.

As per SA all the tyres have uneven wear and tear, but I could feel wobbling on front left hand side only. Although that tyre has been rotated twice and has been replace by spare tyre arnd 14k, since then I am using the spare tyre as my front tyre got a hole when I hit a pothole once.

I agree with everyone, tyres should be rotated and wheel balancing & alignment should be done every 5K. Lesson learnt but in a hard way.
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    +1 and 100% agree.
    Specially for Punto and Linea, the rotation is front to back and vice-versa. 5 tyre rotation might give some problem. I think vahanpujari experienced this issue with tire rotation.
  10. hamster

hamster

New Delhi
    Update on the tyres: Good Year representative checked the tyres and told that there is nothing wrong with it. Wheel balancing and alignment was done as per his recommendation. However after the wheel balancing and alignment the ride has got more abnormal. As soon as car crosses the speed of 80 Km/hr it starts shaking severely, the steering shakes and one could feel the whole car shaking and it isn’t stable at all. Steering has got feather light, which isn’t good by any means.

I am feeling very much disappointed as the car is still approx. one year old and the ride quality has deteriorated drastically. I would request all the experts here to suggest the next course of action.

Many Thanks