1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Problem (?) with my Honda Unicorn

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by nmp, Nov 28, 2012.

1. nmp

nmp Amatore

Thane, Mumbai
    I bought Honda Unicorn 6 months back. In 6 months the bike have already crossed 6500 kms.

During run in period I never crossed 50kmph but after 1st servicing I'm normally travelling between 60 & 70kmph as I've travelling a lot on Highways. The issue I'm facing is somewhat weird. If I travel from the cold start, during the first 10kms or so it runs perfectly alright, but after that I'm facing this problem - I don't know if its me only or otherwise.

If I'm travelling at say 60+kms(in 5th gear) and I slow down to let us say 45/50kmph (still in 5th gear), because of traffic or bad road, I experience a wobbling. It gets difficult for my hands to control the bike. But once I start accelerating, the bike gets steady. The other scenario I've noticed is if I gradually slow down and change the gears to 3,2... and finally stop.. may be for a second or two and then again increase the speed, the problem of wobbling disappears until few kms. Its the same story again. I checked Tyre pressure but its perfectly alright.

At 2nd servicing I did mentioned this problem to the SE and asked him to take a long drive. He did tasted it for few kms on highway but he said the bike is perfectly alright. But upon my Insistence, he done something with the chain mechanism (I was charged for that). The problem did not sorted out. Today when I was out on Highway, the problem occurred at much shorter distance - around 4/5 kms, the experience was really scary and I was forced to slow down to 30kmph.

Can you guys enlighten me, what could be wrong here.

If it helps, then let me tell you, I was having Bajaj XCD125 for 4.5 years before Unicorn and had clocked @ 35,000 kms on that bike. But have never faced this problem.
  2. Ashpalio

Ashpalio Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3
    The points of the bike which might bring such behavior:
    Front wheel wobbling - Rims, steering balls, disc brake bolts not tight, fork bend.
    Rear wheel wobbling - Rim, sprocket, chain-sprocket alignment, rare case the swing arm bush.

Have them checked.
  3. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Wobbling ar specific speed means problem is in wheel.
    Check balancing of alloy wheels.
    1 person likes this.
  4. mnranjeeth

mnranjeeth Amatore

Punto Evo 1.3
    I own an unicorn that is a little over 5 years old and has run more than 20000km.
    I too had a similar issue when the bike was new. The wheel would start wobbling sometimes after hard braking.
    I complained during the first service after which it went away upto some extent. It went away fully after I again complained
    about it during the second service as well.