1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Problem with Gear in a brand new car

Discussion in 'Technical' started by mridhul, Sep 24, 2013.

1. mridhul

mridhul Timido

India
    Hello Friends,

I brought a Fiat punto 70hp emotion two weeks backs and I'm seeing a strange issue with the gear shifting. The gear lever is a bit tight and its not smooth as it expected to be. Only 1st and 2nd gears are tight and all the other gears engage pretty fine.

This issue was not there when i got the car frm showrron but surfaced without any reason,

i checked with the FIAT service center in Bangalore (KHT, whitefeild) and they say it is an issue which the dealers do while they keep the car in garage. Even they tweaked something and the gear becomes smooth for a while and once i drive, it gets tight again.

Any one faced similar problems ? Any advice ?

As you all know, it pains when something like this happens to your brand new car !!!! :(
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2013
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    If it is a "bit tight", as you say yourself, i wouldn't worry about it. It's a brand new car. Let the internal components of the gearbox break in and you will feel much better shifting as the km's add up.

I would drive the car atleast till the first scheduled check up. That way I can add some km's to the car and let the gearbox break in as well.

Cheers.
  3. mridhul

mridhul Timido

India
    Thx man.. Yes, even im thinking the same.. But curious about to know anyone else faced similar issues with thier new car.
  4. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Make sure you are depressing the clutch completely. I know the clutch has a long throw but it is supposed to be depressed completely.
  5. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @Mridhul,

As mentioned in the manual. Depress the clutch full to the floor and give it a second before u engage the gear. This i have experiemented in my GP. Doing immediately does adds a bit of a tension in changing gears, but giving it a second there does smoothens a bit.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  6. mridhul

mridhul Timido

India
    Yes, I'm depressing it completely. I suspected it and tested the same. Still same behavior

Found a thread - Similar issue : http://www.teamfiat.co.in/technical/7982-gear-issues-2.html

Thnx.. let me give it a try... but still confused is this an issue or a behavior for all fiat cars ?
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @Mridhul,

No worries. The gear shifts are usually stiffer in a new car and will become smooth as the days pass by. Only alternative to this issue is take the car out too often.:p
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    i would agree with Gurjinder as well. Give it sometime till the first service and if you still have the same issue report and get it fixed.
    I hope you are not facing any issue with gear shits? as in you slot into a particular ratio but it doesn't shift into place.
  9. miteshpunjani

miteshpunjani Amatore

vadodara-gujarat
    I was also facing a similar issue with my brand new GP, but since now my car has clocked around 800 kms on ODO i feel that some smoothness has set in and that the transmission is much easier.
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Ask them to change the cable then. If its too hard to slot in with clutch fully depressed then check the clutch cylinders.