1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Price to pay for being cautious on highway-Damaged door and running board

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by NitinGirish, Nov 1, 2012.

1. NitinGirish

NitinGirish Amatore

1st the pic

Place: Sira, NH4, Opposite Kamat Upachar, in front of BP bunk.
    Date: 1st Nov 2012, ~8AM.

So I planned a trip to North Karnataka in the long weekend along with my friend. Was driving along the NH4 and had asked my friend to spot Kamat Upachar as we missed Tumkur town. He spotted it well in advance. I gradually slowed down, slowly came to a halt near the side rails with L.H.S indicator on. My intention was to park the car completely on the left, off the road and then figure out how to take a U turn. This place where I was waiting for the traffic to pass is a spot where traffic from service road merges with NH.

Enter a Eicher mini-truck. I am patiently waiting for him to pass. He is honking continuosly and drove straight to my car! I have no idea why he did that. There was more than enough space for him to pass.

Within the next five minutes, I call up 100. They give me local police station number. I call them and they said they would come. While I wait for them to come, I call up RSA and ask about my options of towing it. Didn't want to drive as I was not in a mind frame to drive. She said it would be on cost basis. Dropped the idea as I knew towing it by a flat bed truck would cost me a bomb.

Next I registered a claim with Bajaj Allianz. I got the claim number.

While this happened police came and we went to the station. The procedure that was explained to me:-

1. File a case.
    2. IMA (or thats what I heard) would be conducted and the car would be released the same day.
    3. Need to submit photocopies of car documents which I thought I didn't possess at that time.

I had the option of leaving the car there and going there tomorrow to complete the formalities. But with car no longer being lockable and the window gone, I didn't feel safe going away from the car even for a minute.

Other party being a truck guy obviously didn't give a damn. His stance predictably was file a case.

I came back from there not only empty handed, but also by wasting four hours and signing a 'raaji' compromise letter saying I would repair my vehicle at my cost and would not file a case. I know this is being more than meek but for me fighting them is not a priority.

As of now, car is in a safe, fully covered parking space of a friend. Today is a public holiday here so Bajaj Allianz Bangalore office is closed.

Next steps:-

1. Call Bajaj Allianz and find out with which garage they have tie-up and more importantly cashless facility.
    2. Leave the car for repairs.

I have a 0 depreciation policy.

Any guidance and suggestions w.r.t to Insurance, repair, A.S.S will be of immense help to me.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    Feel sad to see your punto in this shape. I know how much it hurts when a bike or someone else give a small scratch.
    Cant make out why, when you are moving towards left, the truck guy comes and hits from the left! He should be mad, or sleeping, or drunk.
  3. NitinGirish

NitinGirish Amatore

That guy probably thought I would make a cheeky move and scoot to the left lane like most do without caring a damn for oncoming traffic. But I didn't. I waited patiently and this is the reward.

Incidentally, this guy was transporting cases of liquour from Khodays factory.
  4. dhans4all

dhans4all Amatore

Sorry to see your punto in this state, I too had the same kind of exp in my palio but never wasted my time with the truck guy.
    I beleive you will be asked to replace the Door and it is wise to replace it. the Runing borad got damage can be rectified easily.
  5. NitinGirish

NitinGirish Amatore

I wanted to cause him some kind of inconvience which I did. Now he will have to grease police's palms to get his contraption out of there.

My biggest worry is about running board. Ofcourse, I will replace door. Looking at the running board damage (there is a hole in it!) I don't know if it would be repairable.
  6. Really feel sorry for you and your punto buddy...:sad: I can co-relate with your incident..

One question as you were there with your friend,why didnt you beat the shit out of the truck driver?:punch
    These guys cannot be punished,and filing a case is not an option with them..
  7. Linear

Linear Amatore

This is really sad mate. Whenever I see / hear something like this (and that's quite too often), I hate living in this undisciplined country.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Sorry to hear about your punto.
    i too had faced same incident on NH-4,where on the toll booth the truck came reverse and stopped on my bonnet.the result was the damaged bonnet.
    then took that truck driver to police station, he was holding an LMV license and driving 16ton truck.
    Wasted 3 hours in the police station finally ended up by collecting 2000 INR from the truck driver and after going home been to TASS and got a new bonnet under insurance.

From the pics it seems the door have damaged very badly,suggest you to go for the New Door under insurance,dont do any repairable jobs.
  9. NitinGirish

NitinGirish Amatore

That could have completed the only one thing that was left-Bodily harm to myself. Nothing is ever an option with them.

Its not indiscipline but inertia. The reluctance to change because the current system is convinenient for a section of society.

Yup, no question of repairing that door. Just worried about getting parts from FIAT early enough.
  10. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Shit... damn these truck guys..
    Nov 1- a day which i can never erase from my memories, last year, same day, i was also hit by a similar eicher truck and was devastated for so many days, Glad that nothing big happened, n it went away like this, which can be easily repaired. Its painful to see that he hit you with intentionally n not a case of accident... But still, what can we do? Those guys deal with these kinda cases regularly n dont give a damn to others . We cant change the mindset of these guys, even during my case, the truck guy, who was notorious for some other accidents prior to this as well, was hell bent on filing an FIR as he wont give any compensation !! But since the car was in mother's name n it was my first ever accident n was afraid of going to station n court often made me decide against it n decided to claim insurance n live with it..
    Go through that police station after 2 days, you ll see it would have dissapeared in that time... those guys haev good political n police rapport for working in this field and its child's play for them. In my case, just after hitting me , i called up the police n they came immediately.. the truck driver n the owner talked to the police n took the truck immediately from there to unload the goods to the nearby airport without even notifying in the police station !! imagine that situation!!
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012