1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Preparing for 45K service

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by avnsiva, Oct 21, 2013.

1. avnsiva

avnsiva Amatore

Chennai
    After reading the posts by Rajan on servicing his TJet, I have decided to take the plunge...

I already did my 4th paid service at 35000K itself. The odo now reads 43000 kms and 60K service is too long a gap to run the car. So I am going to do the 45K service by myself. I know the risks involved and ready to take it on.

I have started collecting the needed oils and other consumables for the service.

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 400, align: left"]
    <tbody>
    Engine Oil
    Mobil1 Devlac or Shell Rimula R4
    3 litres should be enough as the engine treatment fluid is around 350 ml

Engine Flush
    ABRO Motor Flush
    INR 153/- from Snapdeal

Engine Oil Treatment
    ABRO Premium Oil Treatment
    INR 137/- from Snapdeal

Gear Treatment
    ABRO Gear Oil Treatment
    Yet to Buy

Gear Oil
    Shell or Mobil1?

Radiator Flush
    ABRO Radiator Flush
    INR 112/- from Snapdeal

Coolant
    Petronas Paraflu or Profar or Motul

Underbody Coat
    ABRO Underbody Coat
    INR 371 from cardekho.com

Air Filter
    Ricambi Original
    Yet to Buy. INR 402 from 99rpm.com

Oil Filter
    Purolator or Sofima?

Pollen Filter
    Pollen Filter
    Yet to Buy. INR 200 from 99rpm.com
    </tbody>[/TABLE]

Please help to decide :

Gear Oil
    Is there any Gear Oil with GL-5 specs?
    I am considering Shell and Mobil1. From Rajan's posts, I guess gear oil replacement seems to be a bit tough. If Shell petrol station accepts to change the gear oil if I purchase the oil, then I might go for Shell.

Coolant
    I am considering Motul Inugel Expert and Petronas Profar Anti-Freeze. I am just considering something better than Paraflu. I already have the issue of the radiator fan running in high speeds with AC on in the city. So need a better coolant system to keep the radiator fan speed. I have changed the radiator fan assembly under extended warranty already.

Engine Oil
    There were a lot of discussions about various engine oils. While Mobil1 Devlac comes with better rating ACEA E3, E4 and API CI+, Shell Rimula also comes with ACEA E6, E7 and API CI+. Should I consider Rimula or Mobil1? Cost of 3 liters of Mobil1 Devlac comes to INR (after 10% diwali discount).

Oil Filter
    99rpm sells Purolator and Sofima. Please advice on which one to choose.

Pollen Filter
    The picture appears different from the one in my AC. Is it the same as the wiremesh filter that I find in my AC??

Finally what are the tools that are required?
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The pollen filter is different from wiremesh filter. Wiremesh filter isnt recommended as a lot of dust reaches the cooling coil.

Oil filter- I am using SOFFIMA from local market. No issues.

Engine oil- I am using Mobil Delvac1 and recommend it. I have also done 60000km service myself after having poor experience from TATA FIAT dealer Joshi Autozone.

OT- Moving your thread to the service query section. This section is for posting ownership reviews. :)

- - - Merged Post - - -

You dont need these flushes I believe. And i dont find fuel filter in your list.
  3. avnsiva

avnsiva Amatore

Chennai
    I thought flushing the engine would help to clear off soot better than with engine oil alone. I am not always comfortable with the coolant system. My radiator fan runs in high speed whenever I am at signal. So thought of doing the radiator flush as well. I bought these items already.

Fuel filter was replaced 8000 km before. SHould that be replaced now or should I hang on with it for another 7000 kms?
    1 person likes this.
  4. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Flushes are not required and radiator fan running on high speed when AC is ON is perfectly normal, this is how Fiat have designed the system. It runs full speed even when you turn on AC after just starting the car in morning.
    Coolant Motul
    Filters Sofima
    Gear Oil Fiat OEM Tutela 75W-85 or any other 75W-90 synthetic oil
    Engine Oil Delvac 1
    1 person likes this.
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Actually I am not in agreement with your service criteria to be honest. If you have done a service at 35000Km, your next service is due at 50000km and not 60000km and everything should be done as per the scheduled/recommended procedure.

I am assuming that the coolant/gear box oil/brake oil etc hasnt been changed during the 2 year/30000km service.

Now that a full service was done at 35000Km, do next service at 50000Km and then at 65000Km (assuming your running is more than 15000Km and the thus the odometer reading and not the 1 year service interval is the limiting factor for deciding the service time.

If you do not want to wait till 50000Km (some people do not like to do 15000Km with Selenia engine oil), do service at 45000Km and then next service at 60000Km.

Anyways, I would recommend that change the fuel filter along with this service only as otherwise you will have to maintain a record for every component replacement and will end up doing service every 7000Km for some component or the other.

My recommendation:
    Do full service at 45000Km. Replace fuel filter as well.
    Thereafter, follow 15000Km interval and do service at 60000Km (if driven more than 15000Km per year). Delvac1 is an engine oil more than good enough for 15000km.
    1 person likes this.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I agree with Yashik.

Also, I don't understand why you want to service yourself unless you are too passionate to service the car. :) Fiat Service in Chennai is not bad to be worried and your car should be better off with them too.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    avnsiva - lots of good advise given by others. I also believe that flushes are not required. In any case, if you have already bought them, I guess no harm in using them. I am assuming that the 4th paid service, which was due at 45K kms was done at 35K kms, due to the 1 year mandate. If that is correct and your usage pattern has not changed, I am also assuming that you have done 8000 kms in almost 1 year and the car will be due for the next service soon.

Coming to tools, you will need a 27 mm socket wrench for the oil filter change and 10 mm and 12 mm allen keys for gear oil change. I am again assuming you have the other regular tools such as a screwdriver set and wrench set. The wire mesh pollen filter is useless. Go ahead and replace with paper filter.

If you are confident and enjoy doing it yourself, please do so. If you are not so sure and have procured all the replacement fluids and filters, go to a trusted private garage, get them to do it and watch and learn, so that you can do it yourself the next time.

If you are going to do it yourself - use the right tools for the job and NEVER EVER get underneath the car supported by only jacks. Get a couple of jack stands.

All the best.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  8. avnsiva

avnsiva Amatore

Chennai
    In 35K service, I asked for complete replacement of all fluids: Engine Oil, Gear Oil, PS Oil, Brake Oil and Coolant.
    The engine oil was filled from a tank that reads "CASTROL". When I insisted to receive the remaining oil (I was charged for 4L), I got it in petronas coolant can.
    2 Weeks after the service, I noticed coolant level below Min mark. I went to RDC and topped it. It never came down again. So I suspect that they never replaced the Coolant.
    Since I am doubtful of the above 2, I suspect that even gear oil, PS Oil might have been skipped.

So an early service to keep up with the standard service KM's(60k) was there in my mind since then. Somehow, I was able to drive till 43K. After reading other posts related to service intervals, I thought to get it serviced around 45K.

I'll check with Ramkay whether they ll sell Fuel Filter OTC.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Ramesh Sir, its just a curiosity and interest to do it myself, choice of oils(Devlac, Bosch Glide..etc) and cost .
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    If the coolant level dropped below Min level then they for sure had changed coolant because coolant level drops after change as air packets are removed overtime when car is driven. Idling with engine running until radiator fans removes most of the air in system but still some is left mostly in car heater system.
    For Power Steering oil check if it is red and bright in color,.if its red blackish it was not changed same goes with brake fluid it will be yellowish but transparent.
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I've changed over to almost all the things stated here during my 45k service.
    based on that here is my opinion

Engine oil - MD1 (no questions)
    coolant - Motul (that's what i'm using and its transfers / reduces heat very fast even on cold days)
    Gearbox oil - spirax S2 (i've found that the gear shifts have become very smooth after this change.
    a note on gearbox oil. I recollect that you've mentioned GL-5. Dont go for it, stick to GL-4 only as the former is former is not good for synchro mesh gearbox.
    PS oil - i didn't change as i could not source the correct grade from oustside. (There is no need to change that either.)

Note : As far as possible please dont use additives. They are not needed.
    Engine flush, I used Badhryal but ABRO also should be good (if not better).

Rest seem ok to me