1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Premium diesel or regular...

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by prasanthcr, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

FLUSHING should be fine but then draining the oil completely after flushing is very important. these TASS people are in immense hurry to screw the drain bolt back and so the whole sludgy oil is not drained out.

i am too planning to flush the engine as i am going to ask them to remove the sump as there is some leakage from the sump gasket. i have asked them to change the gasket. so if sump is removed 100% drain out will be there.
  2. you are spot on Italia-Linea. After I started driving my santro the way you have mentioned the mileage went up from 10 kmpl to 14 kmpl. But I struggled a bit to maintain the same style I'm my punto. With IC on the display, I was able to get that style back. I would suggest always to have the IC displayed on the MID which would for sure change the driving style. Play with the IC and understand the calculation and In few days one could get adapted to the nice FE driving style. My FE is now 15 kmpl in city with the driving style Italia-Linea had described (prev was 13). Also in the colony roads I dont step on the A & C pedal. Simply put the gear on 3rd and the car moves @ 30 kmph till i reach my appartment. On the main roads also where the traffic is slow moving i do the same. I am hoping the FE to go up by 1 or 2 in the forecoming tankfulls.

Art of driving for FE is tougher than driving for performance.
  3. Yeah.... This I have experienced with a blown turbo... now I am strictly following this policy.... :)
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

did you blow off the turbo on your punto?
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

The MJD, when thrashed on the highway will definitely return 17-18 easy. 24kmpl was what i got when i was on a ''economy marathon''.

Just master the art of using brakes as little as possible. Preempt obstacles for greater safety and efficiency.
  6. Yup.... I got it replaced under warranty.

Now I am strictly following the policy as mentioned by Gurjinder
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Also when starting the car in the morning. Even more important.

The bearing in the turbo is a ''fluid bearing''. So if it's made to spin instantly at higher revs w/o a minute or two of idle then it can commit suicide. :p

Engines will last long, only if we know how to care for them.
  8. Kids care for engine
  9. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

I dont know if there is another thread on this, if so, I'm sorry.

I have been using regular diesel till today morining and have clocked 5700 km 2011-12-07 08.38.46.jpg .
    So today i decieded to go for tubojet diesel, and I'm not sure if I'm correct or if its a mind game.
    My obervations
    Engine was smoother.
    Engine was more silent..
    No knocking at lower gears

Milage -cant comment as i only drove 12km in mixed traffic..The gage showed 21.2km/lr.
    I won't trust on the display figures because my trip A and trip B shows a differnce of .4km. Both were reset at the same time.

My question
    What are the pros and cons of using premium diesel.
    Do you advice to use premium diesel and If so,
    Among the lot which brand has the better diesel !

Mods Note - Threads Merged.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2011
  10. @thomman:
    As per Fiat recommendation "NO premium diesel for PUNTO and Linea" and no "diesel additive" in Indian models. You can read the manual it`s clearly mentioned.
    why this can`t comment now.

Guys can you post your thoughts.